Playbar keeps playing (TV show) sound after I turn the TV off. What do I do to get speaker sound to turn off when TV is turned off?

• 20 September 2014
  • 11 replies

Playbar sound won't stop after TV is turned off.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi John, mind submitting a diagnostics report and reply with your confirmation number? We'll be able to identify any issues with your system and see where it can be improved.

Thanks,
Mo
I have the same issue, I just received my playbar and I connect it to my Tivo Bolt, when I turn off my TV my playbar wont shut off, I have to press mute or lower volumne.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well the sound isn't coming from the TV is it?

You need to put the TiVo into Standby
Nope, I have disabled the TV sound, I will try the stands when I get home.

Thanks for the quick reply. ☺️
Eric
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You said you connected the Playbar to the TiVo so the sound must be coming from that.
Correct, the sound is coming from the TiVo. So I use the Standby mode as you suggested, and it works. the Soundbar status change from TV to [no music], it is a good sign. Thank you for your help.

Great system,
Thanks again!!

Eric Tan
Badge
Hello everyone.
I am also running into this problem. When we watch tv (tv speakers are switched off and routed properly) and turn the tv off after watching tv or a movie, the tv and the sound turn off. After about 2-3 seconds, the sound from the program we were just watching comes back on but the tv stays off.
The only way to turn the sound off is to turn the tv on again, wait for it to return to the normal screen, and then turn it off again.
TV is a Samsung 65" curved 4K. We are running 2 Play 3's, a sub and the Playbar.
That has to be a bug with the TV, there's no way the Playbar can pull the sound from a device in standby (it doesn't pull the sound at all in fact), the Playbar doesn't even know what it's connected to at the other end of the optical cable, it simply plays whatever gets fired into its input.
Badge
Thanks for the quick reply @The LHC. I shall delve a little further and check out the tv settings.
Thanks for the quick reply @The LHC. I shall delve a little further and check out the tv settings.

Please let me know what you find out, I have the same issue, similar setup with the Samsung 70KU6300. I have to cut mine off and on about three times to make the sound from the PLAYBAR stop.
Hello everyone.
I am also running into this problem. When we watch tv (tv speakers are switched off and routed properly) and turn the tv off after watching tv or a movie, the tv and the sound turn off. After about 2-3 seconds, the sound from the program we were just watching comes back on but the tv stays off.
The only way to turn the sound off is to turn the tv on again, wait for it to return to the normal screen, and then turn it off again.
TV is a Samsung 65" curved 4K. We are running 2 Play 3's, a sub and the Playbar.

So I unplugged the tv and it seemed to do the trick for me. Very weird but thumbs up since doing so.