Answered

Playbar + HBO Max Audio Issues

• 5 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello. I have a Sony A80J tv paired with a playbar plus two in ceiling rear speakers powered by a Sonos amp connect. I cannot get 5.1 audio from the native HBO Max app despite the content showing that 5.1 audio is available. I receive 5.1 without a problem with other native apps (Netflix, Apple TV+). I contacted Sony and they said there are no known compatibility issues and that I should be getting 5.1, particularly if I’m getting it on the other apps. We went through a series of troubleshooting efforts to no avail — even tried a factory reset. 

1. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, if so, any known remedies?
  2. My only remaining option is to swap the optical audio cable though I suspect this won’t work since I haven’t had a problem getting 5.1 from the other apps, though it’s about the only thing I haven’t tried.
  3. Any other suggestions? (Aside from getting an Arc) 
icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 5 March 2022, 07:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I wouldn’t think this is at all a Sonos issue, for exactly the reason you stated, I.e all the other apps work. 

My recommendation would be three fold, and the third you’ve already done. First, check to see if there are any updates for your TV set. Make sure it has the latest software, as it’s possible that Sony has updated the version of the built in app, for exactly the reason you’re running in to. Second, check the audio settings for that app on the TV, it’s always possible it has its own separate audio settings, rather than inheriting the Sony audio settings. Third, I’d call Sony back and continue to work with them, perhaps asking for a higher level of support than just the first level that answers the phone. 

If the issue was with either the cable, or the Sonos, none of the apps would be giving you a 5.1 signal. As it’s just HBOMax, that means there is an issue with that specific app, and Sonos isn’t part of that conversation.

Just as a random note, of that app does have specific settings, make sure it’s set to Dolby Digital only, and not Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos, as neither of them can be carried by the optical cable, or are able to be interpreted by the PLAYBAR. 

Userlevel 7

Try force closing and clearing the cache and data for the HBO Max app.