Question

Playbar connected to TV without internet connection

• 29 April 2014
  • 6 replies

Playbar is connected directly to TV via digital audio/optical connector. I don't have an internet connection yet. When I turn my TV speakers off I get absolutely no sound from the playbar even after I manually turn up the volume on the side of the playbar. But when I have TV speakers set to on, I hear the cound coming from the playbar also.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Mark,

The PLAYBAR needs an internet connect to be setup and registered, along with getting updates. Once it's been setup, you can then plug it into your TV and the autoplay will be active, allowing you to play the TV without internet. But first, you'll need to get the PLAYBAR setup partially online.

Thanks
just wondering if it's not connected to the internet....how do you control the volume....and is it the same for the playbase?
just wondering if it's not connected to the internet....how do you control the volume....and is it the same for the playbase?To use a Sonos app controller you just need to be connected to the same wifi network as the Playbar. Connection to the internet is unnecessary. Or use an IR remote.

I assume the same for the Playbase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
just wondering if it's not connected to the internet....how do you control the volume....and is it the same for the playbase?

Also. When you setup the Playbar or PlayBase, when you must be connected to the internet, you are also prompted to setup a remote control to work with the Playbar. So the answer is you use that to control the volume
Hi, I just had to reboot my router and then I lost the sound on my Playbase. I had to wait five minutes or so for the router to reboot before I got the TV back. Can I avoid this in future? My Playbase is set up and registered online, but it seems it still needed an internet connection to work. Is there a setting I need to change to ensure I don't need internet access for the Playbase to work. It's a digital audio connection, so surely I don't need a network for the TV conection to work? Thanks in advance.
Roryb,

That doesn't make any sense. As long as you're playing content from your TV, it shouldn't make any difference whether the PLAYBAR is on your network or not. It even should still work with the surrounds and SUB, since it sets up its own network for communication with them.

The only way I can make that work in my mind is if the data playing on the TV was coming through the internet, i.e. a netflix app, or something else that was streaming. If you were playing something from your cable box, for instance, it should have kept working. There is no "setting" that would change this. You're 100% correct that you shouldn't need a network for the TV connection to work.

I think in your case, if it were to happen again, I'd suggest that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of it happening, and call in to Sonos to discuss.