Answered

Playbar and Sonos One end of support date

• 19 September 2023
  • 4 replies

I’ve come to own a Playbar and several Sonos One speakers for free through a friend. I was thinking of adding a Sub mini but I am worried about the life spans of these products. Sonos claims they will support products for 5 years after end of sale dates.
Sonos seems to have stopped selling playbar around 2020 So that’s already 3 years. If I buy a sub mini I would be buying into an ecosystem with only 2 years left on the Playbar? (I can’t find end of sale dates for Sonos One).

Just want to confirm if my understanding / math is correct here. And to find out the end of support day for Sonos One speakers.

P.S.: I’m new here so apologies if this info is easily available.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 September 2023, 19:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, nothing to apologize for. There is no date by which Sonos will stop supporting those speakers. So far, they continue to support every speaker they have made since the beginning, either in S1 or S2 software.

Given that the PLAYBAR runs S2, as does the Sonos One, I don’t think you’d have anything to worry about in the near (at least, if not more than 5 years) future. 

I’ve come to own a Playbar and several Sonos One speakers for free through a friend. I was thinking of adding a Sub mini but I am worried about the life spans of these products. Sonos claims they will support products for 5 years after end of sale dates.
Sonos seems to have stopped selling playbar around 2020 So that’s already 3 years. If I buy a sub mini I would be buying into an ecosystem with only 2 years left on the Playbar? (I can’t find end of sale dates for Sonos One).

Just want to confirm if my understanding / math is correct here. And to find out the end of support day for Sonos One speakers.

5 years is a minimum, and it’s mostly due to law.  Sonos has supported other devices far longer than 5 years after last date of manufacture.  Also, in Sonos parlance “support” means updates and improvements.  In reality, Sonos is still supporting units from almost 2 decades ago with security updates and bug fixes, but no new functionality.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Just to add to the other posts, in 2020 Sonos stopped supporting a number products, some made on or before 2015 with new software updates and branched off the new speakers to a new OS. This is unlikely to happen again in this way, personally I think they will target specific speakers. Playbar is 10 years old, take that for what you will.

But IMO playbar is one of the best sounding Sonos speakers ever (IMO it’s better than Beam which costs $$$), enjoy the heck out of it. 

I think defining ‘end of support’ is useful here.

You can continue to use all Sonos speaker products ever made, using S1 (if they’re limited by internal RAM issues) or S2 (if they’re currently not limited by RAM issues).

There are no Sonos speakers that can no longer be used.

The S1 product line (no longer sold by Sonos) continues to function as it did when originally purchased, and gets support for bug updates from Sonos, just not new features.

The S2 product line (currently sold by Sonos) continues to function and receive both bug updates and new features from Sonos.

To repeat, there are no Sonos speaker products that are past ‘end of life’ and can no longer be used. Sonos currently allows all their speakers ever made to continue to work.