Playbar 5.1 Trueplay Reviews

• 8 December 2016
  • 21 replies

Hi there,

As a nerd for tinkering with my Sonos setup, the 7.0 Trueplay release for the Playbar has been a joy.

I have a playbar + SUB + two Play:1s.

The playbar rests below the TV on a stand about 4ft away from the corner of my basement. The SUB is behind the TV stand in the corner. The surrounds face each other behind the seating, they rest about 15ft from the TV stand. The basement has carpet, basic couch and two arm chairs, with 8 foot cielings.

However, I am wondering: what kind of a difference I should be noticing in the setup when watching movies or playing videogames, after Trueplay?

To me, it sounds as if the left and right channels on the Playbar got their volumes increased, creating a more immersive sound stage. The SUB also seems to impact the glass cabinet less, which is about 20 feet away off to the side of my basement corner.

These are just my basic observations!

I would love to know about other people's before/after reviews of Trueplay on their 5.1 setups.

Thanks,
Charlie

Trueplay tuning improved the sound of my 5.1 Sonos setup

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

I have until recently had a Playbar+Sub+2xPlay:1 as my system.

I was very pleased with this but as I was playing more music through the system so I upgraded the Play:1s to Play:5s.

Initially I was not that happy as the bass was overpowering. A couple of days after getting the Play:5s version 7.0 of the app came out and I was able to use trueplay.

I'm very happy and a little surprised at how good the improvement is. Everything has tightened up when playing music and the bass is much more controlled and not dominating the sound. I think this is because the balance between the Play:5s and the Sub is better.

I would really like to know the adjustments the trueplay process has made. This is something that should be considered as an enhancement.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Using Truplay before giving the tweaked Playbar a chance can emphasise any differences.
That the sub's bass is better balanced only means you had it set "incorrectly" but without proper measuring equipment you had to do all the settings imperfectly by ear.
Truplay has changed the settings to more optimum levels and balance - it's also louder (due to the Playbar sound being tweaked) which would make it sound "better".

I have found Truplay to be a very positive experience all round. It's easy to switch it off if you don't like it.
Music sounds better too - mostly i suspect because of the balance of speakers and eradication of room generated bass.
It sounds great to me...now for Sonos to fix the nasty drop out problem the Playbar has for a really excellent and eminently recommendable system.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I've been impressed too. I have the playbar, sub and two play 1 speakers. Switching between the 2 Truplay states (on and off) there is a marked difference in clarity. I spent yesterday evening in Xmas mode watching the Grinch and then playing a festive playlist. Everything sounds great even at fairly low levels.
I'm very pleased indeed with this update.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Okay, I'm confused. I have to ask - What is Truplay? I've been all through the Sonos app (ver 7) and I don't see this listed anywhere? What am I missing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Trueplay is tuning the the speakers for the room and in a lot of cases can make a very big difference. Go to settings...room settings. You will see dots beside the rooms needing trueplay tuning using an iPhone.

I tuned my playbar and sub system last night and made a dramatic difference when listening to music. Really like the sound from playbar now with music where previously I did not.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Nope, I don't see that. I'm using the Android version. I guess they only have Truplay for the iOS version. That kinda sucks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Androids microphones aren't consistent enough. Borrow an Apple device for the one you one calibration.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I checked with Sonos support and yeah, Trueplay only works with iOS devices. So, I stopped and thought for a while and realized I don't know anyone still using an iPhone or iPad. Entire family and all my friends have long ago switched to Android. Maybe I can find an old iPhone 4 or something for next to nothing.
Maybe I can find an old iPhone 4 or something for next to nothing.

Just make sure it's an 4S or later (but not a 7). https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3406/~/devices-and-players-that-are-compatible-with-trueplay
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I checked with Sonos support and yeah, Trueplay only works with iOS devices. So, I stopped and thought for a while and realized I don't know anyone still using an iPhone or iPad. Entire family and all my friends have long ago switched to Android. Maybe I can find an old iPhone 4 or something for next to nothing.

Well it's a free update that makes an improvement to the sound of your speakers but not having will still mean you have the same Sonos speakers you have now.
I find it hard to believe that you don't know anybody that doesn't have an iDevice you could "borrow" for half an hour. I suspect it's just an opportunity for sly digs at Sonos - It's irrelevant either way as 1) If Sonos could release Trueplay for Android and make it work to the standard which their customers demand they would have done it already 2) The sheer variety of microphones in the Android devices has thus far rendered using those devices unacceptable. 3) Obviously there will be other solutions possible and maybe Amazon Echo integration offers some intriguing possibilities but you can be sure that Sonos are very wary of introducing solutions to use Trueplay that mean customers have to buy in extra hardware as opposed to iDevice users who get it for free as they have had enough criticism as it is without "making" others pay.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Only a subjective opinion but I think Trueplay has made an enormous improvement in my Playbar's performance. Thank you Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree. Especially for music for me. I previously thought playbar made music to soft. Not anymore.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Recently used the updated TruePlay to tune my Soundbar & Sub (which i've been waiting for, for ages) with my new Sony KD-55XD9305. Have to agree with the general consensus so far - has made serious improvements to the sound. Always thought the sound was pretty impressive before, but now it's more dynamic and the bass has really tightened up. Keep the updates coming Sonos!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
When my reply from Sonos support that asked why there was no support for TruePlay on any Android phones, they stated that they were "actively working on adding this".
I replied again with the suggestion that maybe Sonos should develop and offer a remote microphone that plugs into the phone's headphone jack. This would alleviate the issue with different hardware on the various smartphones/tablets. This is nothing new as this is how AVR's balance the audio.

They replied with "That is a fantastic suggestion. I will forward that along to our development teams along with your request for tureplay with Android".

Though I have to think this was their way of patting me on the head and saying, "run along now.... goodbye"
That is their standard reply. It's no indication really of anything, either positive or negative, encouraging or condescending. Just boilerplate PR.
Badge
I recently Trueplayed my 5.1 system (Playbar,Sub, 2x Play 1's) after the 7.0 update....i notice a nice difference especially when playing music. One problem which i'm not happy with, and i'm wondering if anyone else has noticed...when playing Stereo or Dolby Digital 2.0 sources (which is most broadcast TV in the UK) the dialogue, which is supposed to be coming from the centre speaker on the Playbar...is now coming from my Play 1 surround speakers as well....in effect creating almost an echo. This only occurred after updating to 7.0 and using Trueplay. When listening to a 5.1 source...the speakers all behave as intended...ie: all dialogue emanating from the Playbar and the surrounds handling effects and background noise etc.
Any advice or observations? Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
There have been many requests about allowing the surrounds to output the stereo signal too. I suppose that Sonos are now granting those requests.
Like all changes, it's odd at first but you soon get used to it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I recently Trueplayed my 5.1 system (Playbar,Sub, 2x Play 1's) after the 7.0 update....i notice a nice difference especially when playing music. One problem which i'm not happy with, and i'm wondering if anyone else has noticed...when playing Stereo or Dolby Digital 2.0 sources (which is most broadcast TV in the UK) the dialogue, which is supposed to be coming from the centre speaker on the Playbar...is now coming from my Play 1 surround speakers as well....in effect creating almost an echo. This only occurred after updating to 7.0 and using Trueplay. When listening to a 5.1 source...the speakers all behave as intended...ie: all dialogue emanating from the Playbar and the surrounds handling effects and background noise etc.

And all this time I've been complaining that I don't have access to Trueplay because I'm using Android devices. If that is what Trueplay does, I'll think I'll pass.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

And all this time I've been complaining that I don't have access to Trueplay because I'm using Android devices. If that is what Trueplay does, I'll think I'll pass.

Your loss!
Badge

Your loss!
Badge
Very helpful.