PlayBar 2.0

• 2 September 2018
  • 30 replies

Is there any plans for a new PlayBar 2.0 any time soon????
I have a large room and Sonos Beam won’t cut it 😉

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I'm in a dilemma as well. I am trying to get my home theater setup with the TV. Looking into the Samsung 75" inch qLED this black friday but reading a lot about how old this playbar is. Issues with IR remote and Samsung One Remote compatibility. Hopefully the Playbar 2.0 should fix this. I am also looking for a complete grille to cover the playbar from Leon speakers (product called tonecase fit). Anyone has experience with this? This allows for the TV and playbar to look seamless. Should I get the beam for now and wait for Playbar 2.0. My setup will be in a great room.? Any advise appreciated
I'm in a dilemma as well. I am trying to get my home theater setup with the TV. Looking into the Samsung 75" inch qLED this black friday but reading a lot about how old this playbar is. Issues with IR remote and Samsung One Remote compatibility.

I don't think the issue is with the One Remote so much as an issue with the One Connect Box, which is not on every QLED model. The one I have is just the remote (IR), and it works just fine. For those with the Box, the issue is that the remote is RF, and the IR blaster on the Box isn't is not placed in line of sight with the IR receiver on the playbar.

Hopefully the Playbar 2.0 should fix this.

I doubt that a new playbar is going to incorporate an RF receiver. but I would think it would have HDMI-ARC, which means the TV will control the playbar through the HDMI-ARC connection and the remote used is basically irrelevant.

I am also looking for a complete grille to cover the playbar from Leon speakers (product called tonecase fit). Anyone has experience with this? This allows for the TV and playbar to look seamless. Should I get the beam for now and wait for Playbar 2.0. My setup will be in a great room.? Any advise appreciated

You might want to give a link to this grill cover. There is been no word on a release of a playbar 2.0, so no one can say how long you'd need to wait. The Beam will likely not feel adequate for your room, but you can always give it a shot and return it. You could repurpose to another room at a later date if you want.
Thanks. I may go to an audio shop to scope out options for the entire 5.1 package so whatever I buy will have some legs for the next few years.
Here is the link to the grill cover.
https://www.leonspeakers.com/tonecase/tcfit/
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I would suspect there would have to be with HDMI 2.1 and eARC coming out by Bose this September 2018 and Alexa. Come on Sonos, give us the Playbar 2.0 so we don’t end up having to go for the Bose Soundbar 700 on 9/20. Sonos is my preferred brand!!!!!

Unfortunately HDMI 2.1 is getting delayed and will not show up until 2020
You will still find eARC on 2019 TV's though, but no HDMI 2.1
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
All of the lipsync problems I've seen are due to issues within the specific TVs, and not really something Sonos would be able to do much about, as there's only so much processing that Sonos does once it receives the signal from the connection.

But yes, in order to support any of the significantly more advanced codecs, they'll certainly have to go away from the optical cable, which just can't handle much beyond Dolby Digital. Which does imply some sort of HDMI connection.

It will be interesting to see if they're interested in the potentially more niche market of high end TV equipment, or prefer to stay in the relatively lucrative larger market. Glad I'm not the CEO making that decision.... make more money by selling fewer devices at a higher price point, or make more money selling more devices at a lower price point? Both of those statements seem to be in slight conflict. One hopes that they could do both....supply my mother, and supply me.

Ultimately though eARC cleans up all lipsync issues, doesn't matter who was at fault