PlayBar 2.0

• 2 September 2018
  • 30 replies

Is there any plans for a new PlayBar 2.0 any time soon????
I have a large room and Sonos Beam won’t cut it 😉

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I would suspect there would have to be with HDMI 2.1 and eARC coming out by Bose this September 2018 and Alexa. Come on Sonos, give us the Playbar 2.0 so we don’t end up having to go for the Bose Soundbar 700 on 9/20. Sonos is my preferred brand!!!!!
Badge
I'm holding out for this, as well. But... speaking as someone who just came over to Sonos from Bose: you do not want to go with them. Their stuff sounds great, but their technical side of things is a complete mess at the moment.
Yes, I’m waiting patiently for this Sonos product update too. I think the same as dashriprocket, it will most probably have HDMI-eARC.

I’m reasonably sure it will have voice control capability, like we see with the Beam and I reckon it might even go onto provide support for Dolby Atmos (hopefully) in some form.
i have both the beam and the playbar; and I think that the beam does a fine job of filling a large room if paired with a sub. my beam is in a large rectangular great room that measures about 45'x25'x15'. it sounds just fine. speech is clear, bass (with sub) is deep, pretty immersive. my playbar is currently in a famliy room that's much smaller, 20'x15'x10', and while it is certainly has more forceful bass than the beam alone, it still needs the sub to really pop.

personally, i think that for large rooms, you really need the sub to get that immersive surround sound. the place where i think i would choose the playbar is for smaller entertainment/family/movie rooms where you can get away with not having a sub.

a playbar 2.0 would be nice just from a design refresh POV, but I don't see any other reason to update the playbar unless they add some significant additional functionality like Atmos.
Badge
I'm a huge fan of my current setup – a Beam, paired with a Sub & 2 Sonos Ones. But... my plan is to move the Beam into a smaller room when Sonos releases their next big soundbar.

I know they're kinda downplaying Atmos at the moment, but imo, the floodgates seem to be opening with Atmos Soundbars. And Vizio just put one out at a very aggressive price point.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I really hope they are I love Sonos but the competition is getting real lol, The new Bose soundbar 700 has eArc support which is pretty awesome. I hope Sonos announces a playbar refresh and it would be awesome if it had dolby atmos support 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
They’ll most likely release a new, larger bar with eARC within the next few years - only question is will be be sooner or later. I’m just hoping they finally include DTS codecs...
It would be interesting for them to include a new codec, since that means that all of their sound bars might need to support it, since it's a software based solution. I wonder what implication that has for licensing fees for the codec? I think I remember that DTS was per speaker used, rather than a single point license like Dolby Digital was. I may need to research that again, but if my memory is correct, I wonder what cost that would be to Sonos to have to pay an additional licensing fee for all previous speakers connected to a sound bar?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd certainly be willing to pay for it.

If it's software based, while messy, they could at least offer individual upgrades to people.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I'm holding out for this, as well. But... speaking as someone who just came over to Sonos from Bose: you do not want to go with them. Their stuff sounds great, but their technical side of things is a complete mess at the moment.

This, I first tried the Bose 5.1 before Sonos because IMO the Bose equipment looks much nicer than Sonos stuff and it still sounds good and actually the Bose Soundbar sounds better than the Sonos Playbar

BUT... Bose software is a mess, getting the Bose 5.1 setup to actually work was a total nightmare and I could not figure it out after 2 days of trying, after failing that when I tried to do the software update the Bose soundbar decided to brick itself...
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
IMO DTS lack is not due to licence payment issue. I read that DTS has a proprietary Technology to stream audio via Wi-Fi as a Multiroom System. It is called PLAY DTS or something like that. It’s a feature that some Onkyo A/V reciever offers as well as kilpsh.
Now, I think that if the play DTS data are anyway somehow inside the DTS codec, even if not used, maybe they have issue with their Sonos net, since Sonos is the only company that offers multiroom via a dedicated network mesh like. All other manufacturer don’t have this kind of technology.
It is only my opinion, not supported by facts
I think you're referring to DTS Play-Fi. You make an interesting point, but I'm not really that's legally possible. I'm not sure DTS can opt not to license their codec to Sonos just because Sonos competes with DTS in a different area. However, what Argetlam said earlier does perhaps tie in to your point. DTS could license by device, which would impact Sonos much more than other audio companies.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Yeah right that. DTS play-Fi.
But my point is not related to DTS that not provide licences, or Sonos that don’t want to pay.
What I mean is that, due to Sonos.net architecture, maybe SONOS is not able (yet) to implement it, due to real techical issues or interferences between sonos.net and DTS play-fi
Userlevel 1
Sonos can’t ignore new formats like atmos/ dts x much longer as they will simply be left behind by the competition. They are stubborn at the moment, insisting that Dolby 5.1 is the most used format, but that is slowly changing. If they release the inevitable Playbar 2 without new codecs, then they are sending it out to die. Sonos will be looking at the Playbar 2 as their main selling item for at least 3-4 years. Half way through it’s lifetime, it would be obsolete without new codecs. My guess, Sonos is waiting for the finalised hdmi 2.1 specs and what competitors are showing at ces 2019 before releasing the Playbar 2 in Q4 2019
Sonos can’t ignore new formats like atmos/ dts x much longer as they will simply be left behind by the competition. They are stubborn at the moment, insisting that Dolby 5.1 is the most used format, but that is slowly changing.

I wouldn't say they are exactly ignoring atmos. With the current HDMI-ARC connections, any source that is in Dolby Atmos will be converted to Dolby Digital. The argument then is whether atmos is going to sound better in a 5.1 system than dolby digital? My guess would be, not really. Then it comes down to whether or not Sonos needs to provide other setups besides 5.1 to meet the needs of customers. Obviously, there is a subset of customers that want the latest and greatest, but there are also some that don't want/need that sort of thing. In my mind, it makes sense to allow for more speakers in the setup, simply because you can sell more speakers...but I don't know the technical feasibility, the cost of development and support, nor the size of the potential market.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Sonos can’t ignore new formats like atmos/ dts x much longer as they will simply be left behind by the competition. They are stubborn at the moment, insisting that Dolby 5.1 is the most used format, but that is slowly changing. If they release the inevitable Playbar 2 without new codecs, then they are sending it out to die. Sonos will be looking at the Playbar 2 as their main selling item for at least 3-4 years. Half way through it’s lifetime, it would be obsolete without new codecs. My guess, Sonos is waiting for the finalised hdmi 2.1 specs and what competitors are showing at ces 2019 before releasing the Playbar 2 in Q4 2019
Yea I agree completely I'm thinking there new playbar when it comes out will be eARC compatible and avoid a lot of the lip sync issues and such that people have now and could benefit Sonos, I wonder if they try for an Atmos bar or how they would approach that?
All of the lipsync problems I've seen are due to issues within the specific TVs, and not really something Sonos would be able to do much about, as there's only so much processing that Sonos does once it receives the signal from the connection.

But yes, in order to support any of the significantly more advanced codecs, they'll certainly have to go away from the optical cable, which just can't handle much beyond Dolby Digital. Which does imply some sort of HDMI connection.

It will be interesting to see if they're interested in the potentially more niche market of high end TV equipment, or prefer to stay in the relatively lucrative larger market. Glad I'm not the CEO making that decision.... make more money by selling fewer devices at a higher price point, or make more money selling more devices at a lower price point? Both of those statements seem to be in slight conflict. One hopes that they could do both....supply my mother, and supply me.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
All of the lipsync problems I've seen are due to issues within the specific TVs, and not really something Sonos would be able to do much about, as there's only so much processing that Sonos does once it receives the signal from the connection.

yes your correct ultimately it isn't Sonos causing the issue but the problem is real and a huge turn off for people who either dont want to live with just stereo or have to buy another device (switcher) or something to fix it, but eARC will fix it nonetheless its going to be pretty awesome all the way around. You should look it up and read about it, its one of the things I am most excited about. Sony already added it to there master series TV's this year and their Flag ship sound bar the HT-ST5000 and the Z9F sound bar. Im certain most TV's and sound bars next year will have it.
No argument from me on the advantages of eARC. But I wonder if it makes financial sense for Sonos to come out with a product right now that can be used on what, 5% (as a guess, and it may be a high guess) of TVs at this point? I'd expect them to wait for more market penetration before jumping on that bandwagon.

But sure, it would cause me to go out and get a new TV that supported it, and replace my two PLAYBARs. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
What’s wrong with PlayBar? I’m looking to purchase a PlayBar this year (Black Friday) along with a pair of Sonos One and their Sub. Do I need to wait till Sonos comes out with PlayBar 2?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What’s wrong with PlayBar? I’m looking to purchase a PlayBar this year (Black Friday) along with a pair of Sonos One and their Sub. Do I need to wait till Sonos comes out with PlayBar 2?

Nothing wrong with the Playbar if you use it as Sonos designed and feed it with a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal from your TV.

There is literally no point in waiting for a Playbar 2.0 as nobody if there will even be an updated version.

Buy it from Sonos and take advantage of their no quibbles returns policy if it doesn't work for you is my advice.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Nothing wrong with the Playbar if you use it as Sonos designed and feed it with a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal from your TV.

There is literally no point in waiting for a Playbar 2.0 as nobody if there will even be an updated version.

Buy it from Sonos and take advantage of their no quibbles returns policy if it doesn't work for you is my advice.

Yea, I didn't think so. Our TV room is large and has ceramic floor tiles. So I kinda question what it would sound like with music or the TV sound playing inside. I currently have 2 Sonos Play 1 for my sound. I also have 2 other Play 1 (1ea in two separate areas throughout the house. What I would like to do is purchase 2 new Sonos One and replace the existing pair in the TV room. Add a Playbar for surround sound when watching TV or playing music. I currently have a Visio soundbar (which sounds pretty damn solid). I could take that up stairs and use it on our TV in the bedroom.
Now my other product I'd like to buy would be the Sub. Which leads to my next question. Do I really need a Sub? How much of a difference would it make (in a ceramic floor tile room)?

Now my other product I'd like to buy would be the Sub. Which leads to my next question. Do I really need a Sub? How much of a difference would it make (in a ceramic floor tile room)?

The sub makes a big difference, and I have ceramic floor tile as well. But as Stuart suggested, buy from Sonos with the return policy so you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

And every sale I've ever seen on Sonos has been a manufacturer sale (with the exception of a gift card or something), meaning that you'll see the same price everywhere, including Sonos.com. I'd also be surprised if the price is only good on Black Friday, but don't quote me on that.
Nothing is "wrong" at all. I have 2 of them, and they work fabulously well.

I think many of us are doing wishful thinking/suggestions as to what Sonos could/should do with the next version of it, if there will be one.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The sub makes a big difference, and I have ceramic floor tile as well. But as Stuart suggested, buy from Sonos with the return policy so you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

And every sale I've ever seen on Sonos has been a manufacturer sale (with the exception of a gift card or something), meaning that you'll see the same price everywhere, including Sonos.com. I'd also be surprised if the price is only good on Black Friday, but don't quote me on that.

Thx melvimbe. I saw that the Sub will be $100 off during BF. Thats why I was thinking about buying it then. And yes I will be purchasing it from Sonos.com. I bought all 4 Sonos Play 1 last year from Sonos.com.
It's just a lot of $$ for a Sub if your not sure how much of a difference it will make with the already existing Sonos Play 1 speakers. I also have an existing stereo system (with turntable) that I haven't updated in 15+ years (except for the speakers). Maybe next year I will look into purchasing the Amp.