Outdoor playbar use

• 10 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
We just had our backyard landscaped to make it usable, and I'm looking into making a backyard theater. I am not planning on making a 5.1 (or better) system to start, as this setup won't be permanent and I don't feel like setting up multiple speakers each time. So I was looking into using a playbar to run the audio solo, as we could then set it up for music with our in-home sonos system to also enjoy music outside when we're not watching a movie. I don't mind taking out a single speaker (even if large) each time we want to listen to music. I'd run the theater sound direct from a roku, which has an optical out.

So in two areas I am wondering how well that would work - 1) playbar audio alone for an outdoor theater (again, not expecting greatness, just basic audio) and 2) as the playbar won't be plugged in all the time. I figured I'd have to remember to plug it in before doing any upgrades, which is not a big deal. I could also just plug it in on the inside if it's not being used outside, if that would work better.

Thanks for any comments.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you were to ignore the possibility of it getting wet, I'd actually be worried most about the optical cable connection getting messed up by the constant plugging and unplugging. In my opinion, they're certainly not as sturdy as an RCA jack, which has metal to resist wear and tear. And yes, cables are (relatively) cheap, but it's the socket in the PLAYBAR that I'd be worried about.

As for "plugging it in", you don't need to do that assuming that you have it connected to your wifi.

And frankly, having typed all that, I'm not excited by the idea of using a speaker in an environment that it's not designed for. To much opportunity for failure/danger. I'm sure that there are other speakers that are designed for outside use, which the PLAYBAR is absolutely not.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't explain that well - I meant I would take the speaker outside only when I was going to use it, and otherwise keep it inside. Whether it was plugged in to an electrical outlet or not was what I meant by plugging it in.

I didn't think about the optical connection being weak, thanks for that. I could keep the optical cord attached to the playbar, and simply detach the other side.
I got what you meant about plugging in, which is why I suggested connecting it via wifi :)

I've never seen metal optical connectors, so I'd still be concerned about either end that you're plugging in.

And while I recognized that you said you'd be taking it in and out, I'm still concerned about that one time when there is a rainshower and your child grabs the PLAYBAR and unplugs it and is shocked by an unfortunate exposure to electricity and water. I still think, without doing any research, that there must be better speakers to use in an outside setting, and you could just leave them out there, without the need to be carrying it in and out. Sure, slightly more expensive in the beginning, but in the long run, I think you'd be much happier. Just my opinion.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I agree with Airgetlam - you can get an outdoor rated sound bar, and then get something for music. Or, simply pipe a Connect into an outdoor rated sound bar.

Sonos equipment is not designed for unconditioned space - you'd have to bring it in pretty much immediately after using it. Condensation, insects, et cetera, are all the enemy of a Sonos device.