Onkyo "Works with Sonos" issue - Please help

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 12 replies
I am having a problem with my brand new Onkyo TX-NR686 that is advertised as "Works with Sonos" actually connecting to my new Sonos Connect for the purpose of having the receiver turn on and the input switched so the Sonos Connect input. I have updated the Onkyo to the latest firmware. All my Sonos speakers and connects are at the latest 10.0 update. I connect the Sonos Connect to the CD analog inputs on the Onkyo like the instructional video specifies. I go through all the correct settings on the Onkyo as per the instructions. The Onkyo and Connect are on the same network and subnet. I have verified that I can see both units on my network. The Sonos system works fine and I can even manually turn on the Onkyo and change the input to CD and the Connect music comes through fine.

However the reason I bought it and the Connect is because of the "Works with Sonos" integration feature that automatically is supposed to turn on the Onkyo receiver and change inputs to the Sonos input when it detects music on that input.

I am a Network Administrator have have a Meraki Mesh WiFi system and an MX Meraki security appliance. I have two VLAN's and had to enable Spanning Tree settings on all may switches to be able to have multiple Sonos Connect:Amps connected to ethernet. My network works great, Sonos works great, the Onkyo connects to the internet and I can stream Spotify, Tidal, and Pandora on it. But it cannot find my Connect during setup. Both are connected wired to the same switch. I have tried putting both on WiFi and have even ran two long 100 ft ethernet cables directly to the router thus bypassing the managed switches to no avail.

Could the Meraki MX65 security appliance router be the issue? I have no way of testing on a different router. I have read elsewhere where some others have had similar problems after the Sonos 10.0 update. However neither Onkyo or Sonos have been able to verify if that is in fact an issue. They cannot figure it out after multiple calls to each.

If someone on here is running and Onkyo and has the "Works with Sonos" working after Sonos update 10.0 please let me know so I can exclude the software upgrade as the issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Gladiator, 

It sounds like your unit is managing to do the powering on and not loosing connectivity which is a good start!

The auto power off not working I haven’t heard about before. That function works reliably on my amp. Though its useless as the wake and set input doesn’t work! 

Sounds like something you should check with Onkyo 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So an update to this and a possible culprit. 

I abandoned the Pioneer VSX-934 and returned it. Shockingly bad support from Pioneer.

I’ve gone for the Onkyo TX-NR696. Updated to the latest firmware R113-0404-1130-0026 and Sonos 10.6. The wakeup feature works reliably through Ethernet. However via wireless it does not function. I am beginning to think that the wireless network is the issue with these units. I have Meraki wireless with no blocking present. When I get a moment I will setup another base station ands see if the issue persists. 

To anyone setting this up - if you are using wireless and having issues. It is likely the wireless that is the culprit I have found. 

Now I have the same issue as @Gladiator1984 in that my Onkyo AMP doesn’t turn off after it is used. 

So one issue down and another created :-(

Once I get a moment to test the wireless and see if it is localised to Meraki or wireless in general i’ll report back. I am also going to open a support case with Onkyo regarding this and will repost when I hear something!

@Sedicivalvole: Good to know it is not me or it is an incidental issue, but of course I am sorry for you. Great progress for so far, thanks for the update!

The past month I had time to analyse the Onkyo and all its functions fully. My relevant experience and conclusions up to now:

- the automatic on and off has in Onkyo menu some options regarding TV/SAT and best is to keep them switched on for keeping the modern functionality. The switching on and of works excellent with the TV. 100% result every time the TV was switched on/off.

- Switching on other equipment during tv watching, including the sonos, also works perfectly with a 100% reliability score. 

Therefore I doubt if the switching off error is related to the onkyo.

The options could therefore be:

- something in the software/hardware regarding the SONOS signal via OPTIC. --> I will check this week if the problem also arises with the regular tulip plugs.

- The signal from the Sonos is when lost (when music stops), not defined as a "switched off". What would be logical because else the Onkyo stereo would switch off (and later on) during breaks, pauzes and other (manual) started interruptions of the sonos output. 

Is the Onkyo cleared: no.

I ran into two issues that for now are considered as small inconveniences. I don't think they are directly related to this issue, but there is an interesting twist. 

A. The autoshutdown energy is not working as I am expecting. It for sure does not kick in hours after the sonos stopt playing music. So I cannot rely on this function to shut down the Onkyo automatically some time after the Sonos has stopt playing. 

B. Every day during 17pm and 19pm the Onkyo shuts down regulary and randomly when listening to Sonos. Some days up to 10 times in this period. Is does not happend outside this time border and it does not happen when listening to any other source. It only happends with the Sonos and the catch of the story: the fucking sonos keeps on playing its music uninterrupted even when de Onkyo has switched off itself hahaha

C: Other issues of the sonos/onkyo in this setting is that approx  3-7 times per day (6 hours of play) the sound output stops, but the Onkyo is on and the Sonos keeps on playing (without sound output). After 3-5 seconds it continues by itself playing the music, but the gap you missed because the music continued playing for the system itself. 

You would think it is WiFi related, but all equipment are hardwired and the connection is in the Netherlands, optic fiber 2018 grid nearby Amsterdam and inhouse all CAT6 cables...

So this issue could be the sonos losing temporary its fysical output (while the system thinks it is still playing) or it is the Onkyo that has a software hardware issue. This comes up only with Sonos output and doesn't happen in any form when listing to another input channels. No short temporary loss of audio.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well I had to upgrade to a Port because of the old Connect being legacied out and It is working a lot better now where I can stop using my Samsung Smartthings workaround.  However I noticed with my previous setup and with the Port that if the Port is not the first device selected in the group when the group is created then it will not work.  For example I go to controller A and ungroup all my speakers.  Then I Choose my Port(LIvingRoom) and play something and it works.  I then add all other speakers and it still works again using any controller.  However if I remove the Port(LIvingRoom) from the group then add it back in at some point to the group it will not turn on my Onkyo.  For some reason it has to be the first speaker added to the group.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well I had to upgrade to a Port because of the old Connect being legacied out and It is working a lot better now where I can stop using my Samsung Smartthings workaround.  However I noticed with my previous setup and with the Port that if the Port is not the first device selected in the group when the group is created then it will not work.  For example I go to controller A and ungroup all my speakers.  Then I Choose my Port(LIvingRoom) and play something and it works.  I then add all other speakers and it still works again using any controller.  However if I remove the Port(LIvingRoom) from the group then add it back in at some point to the group it will not turn on my Onkyo.  For some reason it has to be the first speaker added to the group.

HI Bs49, how does the system work with zones?

Can you change zones played thru sonos port via the onkyo app on the fly? (assuming you can't do this via the sonos app).

Also, I read you can have up to 3 ports connected to the onkyo receiver. Does this mean you can associate each one with different zones (main, zone 2, zone)? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry for the delay i’ve been away and not able to get time using this. 

@Gladiator1984

1. My unit will not shutdown when on the Sonos under any circumstances. If I turn it on, or if the unit is activated by a Connect. It will never enter auto standby mode. I have tested this using the standard phono L+R connections into the CD source. Interestingly this is not a problem if I am using the  Airplay feature. The AMP powers down when using this correctly. I have read the manual and adjusted all of the settings as Onkyo say.
  2. I am also experiencing the drops in audio you are. 3-5 seconds that just go missing from being output. I am connected via CAT6 as well and the issue persists

I haven’t experienced the shut downs you have. But then Ive not been using the system as it isn’t working properly. Having to turn it off every time is pointless for me as it is not accessible. 

I am logging a case with Onkyo about this, as its not good enough to use the AMP. Currently I have a feeling this unit is going to be going back as well :-( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Based on the threads here, maybe the program should be renamed “Works with Sonos??” :wink:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Seems so!

Or … sort of works with Sonos. Sometimes. Maybe...

I had all kinds of problems with Works with SONOS from random shutdowns to not turning on at all. I have spent hours experimenting with different settings to the point where it appears that I finally have everything working correctly.

Last month, I upgraded from Onkyo TX-NR555 to Pioneer VSX-LX503 to get the Works with SONOS feature. The Pioneer is attached to a SONOS Port. The other speakers are a SONOS 5 Gen 2 and 2 SONOS Play 1s. SONOS software version 11.0 and Pioneer firmware 1071-0000-1060-0011. Looks like the menus between the Onkyo and Pioneer are pretty similar. 

Go to System Setup then->

Input/Output->Analog Input - Audio1 - Mine is attached to the BD/DVD via RCA cable.

Hardware->Works with SONOS->OutZone:Main/Z2 - This was the key for me because I originally had it set to Main only since I don’t have anything hooked up to Zone 2. Regardless, when it was set only to Main it would just turn itself off and go into standby after a few hours while SONOS was still playing on the other speakers. This fixed it for me!

Hardware->Power Management->Network Standby On - If this is set to off then it won’t turn on at all.

Hardware->Power Management->Auto Standby On - This one is pretty obvious but after I stop playing SONOS music from the app the Pioneer goes into standby mode after 20 mins. When I press play on the app it turns itself on again.

AVR and SONOS must also be on same Wi-Fi network. 

That’s my setup and everything appears to be working as intended. Hopefully, this helps somebody out. Cheers!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @gr8177063 

I had problems with the Pioneer unit - but I believe this is due to the wireless network when using Cisco Meraki equipment. 

I struggled with the Pioneer in that I couldn't get ARC working. However everything else worked. With the Onkyo I have ARC however it just won’t go into auto standby even with those settings set 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had all kinds of problems with Works with SONOS from random shutdowns to not turning on at all. I have spent hours experimenting with different settings to the point where it appears that I finally have everything working correctly.

Last month, I upgraded from Onkyo TX-NR555 to Pioneer VSX-LX503 to get the Works with SONOS feature. The Pioneer is attached to a SONOS Port. The other speakers are a SONOS 5 Gen 2 and 2 SONOS Play 1s. SONOS software version 11.0 and Pioneer firmware 1071-0000-1060-0011. Looks like the menus between the Onkyo and Pioneer are pretty similar. 

Go to System Setup then->

Input/Output->Analog Input - Audio1 - Mine is attached to the BD/DVD via RCA cable.

Hardware->Works with SONOS->OutZone:Main/Z2 - This was the key for me because I originally had it set to Main only since I don’t have anything hooked up to Zone 2. Regardless, when it was set only to Main it would just turn itself off and go into standby after a few hours while SONOS was still playing on the other speakers. This fixed it for me!

Hardware->Power Management->Network Standby On - If this is set to off then it won’t turn on at all.

Hardware->Power Management->Auto Standby On - This one is pretty obvious but after I stop playing SONOS music from the app the Pioneer goes into standby mode after 20 mins. When I press play on the app it turns itself on again.

AVR and SONOS must also be on same Wi-Fi network. 

That’s my setup and everything appears to be working as intended. Hopefully, this helps somebody out. Cheers!

Hi. Are you saying that your unit will go  to stand by even if you have zone 2 switched on? I have a Onkyo TX-RZ696 and with zone 2 or zone 3 ON the unit will never go to standby (this is clearly specified in the manual too).

Maybe Pioneer and Onkyo receivers have not the same behaviour? It would be interesting to understand this.

Hey Steelstar,

Yes….I have Main/Z2 selected under Outzone on Works with SONOS and it still goes into standby in 20 mins if I pause SONOS. I know what you’re saying though….in the Pioneer Owner’s manual it clearly states: "Auto Standby does not work when Zone 2/Zone 3 is active” which is a complete contradiction. Yet, I clearly have Z2 illuminated on my Pioneer front display???!!! All I know if I switch off Z2 and just use Main it will go into standby on it’s own.

Hi. Are you saying that your unit will go  to stand by even if you have zone 2 switched on? I have a Onkyo TX-RZ696 and with zone 2 or zone 3 ON the unit will never go to standby (this is clearly specified in the manual too).

Maybe Pioneer and Onkyo receivers have not the same behaviour? It would be interesting to understand this.

Hi Everyone - I wanted to give my quick feedback of the Works with Sonos capabilities included in the Onkyo TX-NR696.  Even though this thread did not instill my confidence with the integration, I got a great deal on an open box unit, so decided to take the risk.  This is one of the few units that added the “Volume Pass-Through” capability, so decided to try it out.  

My setup: LG OLED connected via HDMI ARC to Onkyo.  Sonos Connect → TOSLINK to Onkyo.  Apple TV → HDMI to Onkyo.  Both Onkyo and Sonos Connect are hardwired Ethernet to my router. 

Works with Sonos review: 

• Onkyo does turn on and chooses the right input when I start music through the iPhone Sonos app.
  • Volume control from the Sonos app does control the receiver volume.  There is a little bit of delay, however (about a second).  When I was powering my speakers with a Sonos Amp, the volume could be adjusted instantly.  I can deal with it. 
  • Onkyo will NOT go into standby when I stop playing music.  I tried all of the different tips in this thread (Zone 2 output, standby settings, etc.).   If anyone has gotten this working, please let me know!

Apple TV works great, too.  If I turn the Apple TV on with the remote, the LG TV will turn on and the Onkyo will switch inputs.  And if I put the Apple TV to sleep, it WILL turn off the TV and put the Onkyo into standby.  

Hope this helps!