Answered

No sound from One SL

• 26 February 2020
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the playbar and 2 Sonos one SL connected. However, there is no sound coming from the rear speakers. The playbar sounds great, I can only mute and control the sound from the SL speakers. How do I get them to all play? This is driving me crazy I’m about to return this whole system. 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 27 February 2020, 01:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Ah, thanks @Jean C. for your help/support here… it seems every day is a 'school day' for me ...and I have definitely learned something from this thread. Thanks again.👍

r.perez0622  - hope you are able to follow the suggested advice and soon have your matter sorted.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks so much for that information, @r.perez0622 .

Welcome to the Sonos Community, by the way, and thank you for reaching out with your issue. 

You have two of my favorites in your current set-up.

You seem have an ISP provided Askey router, Ruckus access points and a Sonos surround system on Wi-Fi. 

Is there any way that the Playbar can be wired into your network via Ethernet?

Have you had your Ruckus APs configured to allow multicast rather than their default unicast?  

They actually have a helpful support article on their website concerning Sonos systems. 

If you are able to hard-wire the Playbar, it will prompt your system to broadcast Sonosnet and should neatly sidestep these kinds of issues.   

I can’t wire via Ethernet as my router is downstairs and the playbar is upstairs. 

Userlevel 7

Thanks so much for that information, @r.perez0622 .

Welcome to the Sonos Community, by the way, and thank you for reaching out with your issue. 

You have two of my favorites in your current set-up.

You seem have an ISP provided Askey router, Ruckus access points and a Sonos surround system on Wi-Fi. 

Is there any way that the Playbar can be wired into your network via Ethernet?

Have you had your Ruckus APs configured to allow multicast rather than their default unicast?  

They actually have a helpful support article on their website concerning Sonos systems. 

If you are able to hard-wire the Playbar, it will prompt your system to broadcast Sonosnet and should neatly sidestep these kinds of issues.   

Hit the wrong icon. Darn iPhone screen 😡

r.perez0622,

i think adding a Sonos Boost to your setup would make things far much easier for you and if would mean less ‘command line’ configuration of the access points and ports as mentioned on the Ruckus website link for a Sonos ‘standard mode’ setup. 

The article appears to strongly recommend you wire one Sonos device to the main router and I must admit that’s the route I would personally choose to go down too with a Sonos Boost, but the decision is yours.

r.perez0622,

Reading more about Ruckus devices online, I understand that Ruckus Customef Support are usually able and willing to help their customers with such configuration of the access points etc., but I still think the ‘Boost’ will be easier, particularly in case you ever have to reset your Ruckus WiFi setup in the future.

Anyhow let us know how it goes and perhaps any information you glean along the way maybe worth posting back here too, just in case any other Sonos users encounter this same issue in the future. Thanks 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge

This sucks, I can’t wire just one speaker downstairs. I will be returning the whole system. Sonos did try to help me, but I’m not going to leave one speaker down stairs wired. The playbar works fine but no point if I can’t have the whole thing. I wanted the sub as well, but will run into the same problem. 

This sucks, I can’t wire just one speaker downstairs. I will be returning the whole system. Sonos did try to help me, but I’m not going to leave one speaker down stairs wired. The playbar works fine but no point if I can’t have the whole thing. I wanted the sub as well, but will run into the same problem. 

Indeed, but the access points are proving to be the issue here with ‘directed multicast’ and they need re-configuring to support Sonos devices, but as mentioned, it’s perhaps easier to let your Sonos system run on its own internal wireless signal instead, called ‘SonosNet’ and in order to do that, one device needs cabling to the main router… In cases where a speaker can’t be wired it’s best to use the Sonos Boost.

Or you can perhaps simply contact Ruckus and ask them to walk you through the suggested configuration settings that are posted on their website for each of your ruckus Access Points.

Returning your Sonos products maybe an option for you, but personally speaking, I think you would just be ‘cutting off your nose to spite your face’ as there are still some options open to you to quickly fix these things.

I don’t know your technical abilities, but you could maybe try the AP (STP) configuration settings yourself perhaps? There is a reset button if that fails, to restore the AP to its factory default settings.

I did try searching YouTube for you, to try to assist you with a video of how to go about the changes, but no joy there unfortunately.

As you may know, we are just other Sonos users trying to help you, but the decisions of what you now do, going forward, are entirely yours.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Indeed, but the access points are proving to be the issue here with ‘directed multicast’ and they need re-configuring to support Sonos devices, but as mentioned, it’s perhaps easier to let your Sonos system run on its own internal wireless signal instead, called ‘SonosNet’ and in order to do that, one device needs cabling to the main router… In cases where a speaker can’t be wired it’s best to use the Sonos Boost.

Or you can perhaps simply contact Ruckus and ask them to walk you through the suggested configuration settings that are posted on their website for each of your ruckus Access Points.

Returning your Sonos products maybe an option for you, but personally speaking, I think you would just be ‘cutting off your nose to spite your face’ as there are still some options open to you to quickly fix these things.

I don’t know your technical abilities, but you could maybe try the AP configuration settings yourself perhaps? There is a reset button if that fails, to restore the AP to its factory settings.

I did try searching YouTube for you, to try to assist you with a video of how to go about the changes, but no joy there unfortunately.

As you may know, we are just other Sonos users trying to help you, but the decisions of what you now do, going forward, are entirely yours.  

I’m very grateful for everyone’s help here. I didn’t expect that. I just contacted Ruckus and they were talking about paying for technical fees for help. I don’t want to buy another product. I’m going to keep trying. If not it has to go back. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just did this and all the speakers work together but it sounds echo. 

Yes, when you ‘group’ other Sonos Rooms with a Sonos HT setup there is a 75ms audio buffer delay for the stereo TV audio-out to the group, but only a ~30ms buffer for the TV HT audio, which obviously plays as quickly as possible for TV lip-sync purposes, so you may indeed hear an echo for TV audio .. you won’t get an echo when playing music audio from the App.

There is a setting (slider bar) within the Playbar Room settings called ‘TV Dialog Sync’ that can be used to resolve the echo when playing the TV audio.

i will just add though that the TV audio really works best when your speakers are ‘bonded’ as surrounds, rather than ‘grouped’ and I would suggest if you eventually do choose to configure your access points, or get a Boost and do that, that you also switch the music audio playback  from ‘ambient’ to ‘full’ in the Playbar Room room/surround settings as all these things will eliminate any echo for the TV audio and the music will sound great too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, when you ‘group’ other Sonos Rooms with a Sonos HT setup there is a 75ms audio buffer delay for the stereo TV audio-out to the group, but only a ~30ms buffer for the TV HT audio, which obviously plays as quickly as possible for TV lip-sync purposes, so you may indeed hear an echo for TV audio .. you won’t get an echo when playing music audio from the App.

There is a setting (slider bar) within the Playbar Room settings called ‘TV Dialog Sync’ that can be used to resolve the echo when playing the TV audio.

i will just add though that the TV audio really works best when your speakers are ‘bonded’ as surrounds, rather than ‘grouped’ and I would suggest if you eventually do choose to configure your access points, or get a Boost and do that, that you also switch the music audio playback  from ‘ambient’ to ‘full’ in the Playbar Room room/surround settings as all these things will eliminate any echo for the TV audio and the music will sound great too.

I’m going to try the boost. I will buy it tomorrow and try that for a final solution. Everything I read, leads me to the size of house and WiFi extender is the cause of my problem. I’ll try it out tomorrow and see if it resolves the issue. I would hate to return everything cause of the WiFi extender I have. Thanks again for all the help. 

r.perez0622, 

That’s what I would have done too. If you need any further help when you get the Boost, then post back here and I/we will do all we can to assist. 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @r.perez0622,

A Boost should be able to resolve this issue as @Ken_Griffiths  and Ruckus both suggest.

Its job is to be the thing wired into your router when nothing else can be. 

We’re here for you if you need assistance setting this up, please don’t hesitate to reach out. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

r.perez0622, 

That’s what I would have done too. If you need any further help when you get the Boost, then post back here and I/we will do all we can to assist. 👍

Well @Ken_Griffiths and @Jean C. the Sonos boost is a saver and has made me a believer. The system sounds amazing. The boost really did the job. The setup was easy. I had to uninstall everything and do the boost first. Once that was done, I tuned the room and now they are all synced together. It works flawlessly. It’s like my own movie theater surround sound. Now, I just need to place them where I want them. I will definitely get the sub to complete the system. Sonos has a customer for life. Thanks for all the help. 

r.perez0622, 

Well @Ken_Griffiths and @Jean C. the Sonos boost is a saver and has made me a believer. The system sounds amazing. The boost really did the job. The setup was easy. I had to uninstall everything and do the boost first. Once that was done, I tuned the room and now they are all synced together. It works flawlessly. It’s like my own movie theater surround sound. Now, I just need to place them where I want them. I will definitely get the sub to complete the system. Sonos has a customer for life. Thanks for all the help. 

Ah that’s great news r.perez0623 and credit is due to @Jean C. at Sonos Support for identifying the issue quickly from your diagnostic. I also run my Sonos system with a Boost/SonosNet device too, it works really well here… best way to go, I think.

I also think you will love the Sonos Sub too if you do decide to add that to your setup,further down the line. The sub made such a difference to our Home Theatre System here.

All’s well, that ends well, eh? Thanks for letting us know how things turned out for you.👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @r.perez0622,

I’m glad that everything came together for you! I hope you continue to use the Sonos Community as a resource for understanding your Sonos system. 

As you can see, we’re all here to help!   (Sorry to take your thunder, @AjTrek1 ).