No eARC? Arcana from HD Fury has arrived and it works with the Sonos Arc!

• 17 September 2020
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 7

Sonos Arc owners are starting to receive the first shipments of the Arcana device from HD Fury. Most of these people are Sonos Arc owners who have older TVs without an eARC connection or a TV that can’t pass through Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos audio. I’m happy to report that the Arcana works! I own a 2013 Panasonic plasma with an HDMI ARC connection and I can now get Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos audio from my Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player and Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Atmos audio from my Roku Ultra with the Arcana device.

I’ll be happy to share my full setup if anyone is interested.

The Arcana is shipping now:

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

I can confirm Arcana works like a charm. Just hooked mine up today and it is glorious.

Mine has just been released and will arrive mid week.

Userlevel 7

Mine has just been released and will arrive mid week.

Through DHL Express, HD Fury can ship the Arcana from Taiwan to the US in three days.

Badge +1

Hi @GuitarSuperstar , yes please - do share your setup.  I am still waiting for my Arcana.

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar , yes please - do share your setup.  I am still waiting for my Arcana.

Here is my setup with the Arcana.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Mine arrived yesterday and was up and running in ~1min - just the time taken to switch cables around.

Xbox1X → Arcana → [ JVC DLA-RS2000 , Sonos Arc ]

Not noted any issues at all and Sonos was reporting Atmos as soon as I switched the Xbox audio settings.

The Sonos app “TV Setup” says “There is a device interfering with the HDMI connection” and refuses to proceed. I have no idea what function that inhibits but it’s nothing that I’ve run into in my use case.
There’s notes on Arcana discord where a switch of HDMI cable fixed this but didn’t seem to be a clear consensus (my cables are certified HS so assuming not).

Userlevel 7

Mine arrived yesterday and was up and running in ~1min - just the time taken to switch cables around.

Xbox1X → Arcana → [ JVC DLA-RS2000 , Sonos Arc ]

Not noted any issues at all and Sonos was reporting Atmos as soon as I switched the Xbox audio settings.

The Sonos app “TV Setup” says “There is a device interfering with the HDMI connection” and refuses to proceed. I have no idea what function that inhibits but it’s nothing that I’ve run into in my use case.
There’s notes on Arcana discord where a switch of HDMI cable fixed this but didn’t seem to be a clear consensus (my cables are certified HS so assuming not).

When I’ve gotten the message “There is a device interfering with the HDMI connection” I would have to disconnect all of the other HDMI cables that were connected to my TV to get the Sonos app to setup my TV properly. After my TV was setup and CEC was working, I could reconnect the cables and it would continue to work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi! My LG TV can pass through Dolby Atmos (DD+) through HDMI ARC, so when I watch Netflix and Apple TV + or iTunes Movies with the native app, I can get Dolby Atmos... Just would like to know how I can get the most out of the HDFury Arcana? I have some devices (PS4, Blu-ray player, Chromecast Ultra, Android TV box) connect to the TV via a HDMI switch, and connected a Apple TV 4K directly to the TV with another HDMI.

And can anyone advise me how the connection with the HDFury Arcana should be?

Userlevel 7

Hi! My LG TV can pass through Dolby Atmos (DD+) through HDMI ARC, so when I watch Netflix and Apple TV + or iTunes Movies with the native app, I can get Dolby Atmos... Just would like to know how I can get the most out of the HDFury Arcana? I have some devices (PS4, Blu-ray player, Chromecast Ultra, Android TV box) connect to the TV via a HDMI switch, and connected a Apple TV 4K directly to the TV with another HDMI.

If you can already get full audio capabilities from all of your devices with your current setup, then you probably don’t need a device like the Arcana unless you are having lip sync problems.

But your setup with the Arcana could look something like the above diagram using a 5-port HDMI switch.

Can you currently get uncompressed Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos audio from your Blu-ray player?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

If you can already get full audio capabilities from all of your devices with your current setup, then you probably don’t need a device like the Arcana unless you are having lip sync problems.

But your setup with the Arcana could look something like the above diagram using a 5-port HDMI switch.

Can you currently get uncompressed Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos audio from your Blu-ray player?

Thank you so much for your kind advice!! Currently I'm getting Dolby Digital 5.1 for those movies without Dolby Atmos from iTunes Movies (from both the native app from LG TV and Apple TV 4K), if I chose to connect my Apple TV 4K to the HDFury Arcana and then to Sonos Arc, can I get Dolby Digital Plus instead?

Userlevel 7

Thank you so much for your kind advice!! Currently I'm getting Dolby Digital 5.1 for those movies without Dolby Atmos from iTunes Movies (from both the native app from LG TV and Apple TV 4K), if I chose to connect my Apple TV 4K to the HDFury Arcana and then to Sonos Arc, can I get Dolby Digital Plus instead?

Anything you connect to the Arcana should give you the device’s full audio capabilities. If the movie says it comes with a Dolby Digital Plus audio track, then the Arcana should make it work. The Arcana will only be limited by the limitations of the source/app/device you are watching/using.

Well, just encountered a unique issue when I tried to turn off the tv for the night.  Had Arcana all hooked up to TIVO box and arc out from TV, everything working good, but when I turn the tv off, the TIVO really does not turn off and really do not want to put in standby as there are issues with that.  Sonos Arc does not turn off, therefore the sound continues to come through from TIVO to Sonos Arc with TV off.  Will have to put TIVO in standby everytime.  I would imagine this will be an issue for DVR cable boxes as well??

Not really sure. HDFury does support in the Discord channel, but not here. You may want to check there. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

it is the same with the ATV4K as well. If you go to discord channel, there are discussions about this issues and workarounds.

I tried to set up the Vertex2 switch with just Bluray player and Sky Q into the Arcana as the diagrams but the Sonos set up app told me about the HDMi conflict so removed both from the set up and finished the Sonos Aec setup.

So, if I now retry plugging the Vertex2 and the Arcana back into the system it should work?

I am not a video tech so do not understand different settings on vertex2 or the arcana. Should it be plug and play or can someone explain what settings I need.

All HDMi leads are Audioquest Vodka and Carbon and the TV is LG 55EF950 the first of the flat screen OLED from 2015. Spent a load of money on boxes and not a clue what to do!!

Userlevel 7

I tried to set up the Vertex2 switch with just Bluray player and Sky Q into the Arcana as the diagrams but the Sonos set up app told me about the HDMi conflict so removed both from the set up and finished the Sonos Aec setup.

So, if I now retry plugging the Vertex2 and the Arcana back into the system it should work?

I am not a video tech so do not understand different settings on vertex2 or the arcana. Should it be plug and play or can someone explain what settings I need.

All HDMi leads are Audioquest Vodka and Carbon and the TV is LG 55EF950 the first of the flat screen OLED from 2015. Spent a load of money on boxes and not a clue what to do!!

I recommend visiting the HD Fury Arcana channel on Discord and they will be happy to assist you: https://discord.com/channels/314050739771146241/724421828701061161

@paultee23 I also have the vertex2/Arcana/Arc setup and didn’t have any issues getting things working.  Here’s the order that I set things up.

1 - Connected TV and Arc together, went through the normal Sonos setup.  Not sure it’s necessary to connect TV and Arc directly, since it’s not final setup, however, I had the Arc long before I had Arcana and vertex 2, so this is what I did. I was getting atmos audio through streaming sources, but the important thing is that the Sonos setup is complete.

2  I disconnected one of my sources (xbox) from the TV and connected it as source for Arcana. Output of Arcana to Arc and TV accordingly.  Tested to make sure this worked.

3 - Now to get Vertex2 in the setup.  I disconnected xbox from arcana and connected it as input to vertex2.  Did the same with my other sources (Shield and FireTV).  Connect the TX0 output on vertex2 to input of Arcana.  Tested to make sure it worked...all good.

Vertex2 has autoswitch functionality, but it’s not always going to switch when you want it to. You can download the vertex2 app which you can you use for switching when you need to.  The other option, if you have a Harmony remote, is to program control in to the remote, but I have not looked into that yet.  Partly lazy, partly because autoswitching handles it well the majority of time.

But as stated, if it doesn’t work for you, try the discord channel 

Thanks for this work through, I will try it later and let you know. No video tech me!!

Badge +1

Is an HDMI 2.0 Cable with Ethernet 18Gbs OK for all the connections or do I need an HDMI 2.1 cable for the ARC to Arcana & Xbox One X to Roofull HDMI Switch?

What would be the best Streaming device - The new Chromecast, Amazon Fire, NVidia Shield to get the best quality Netflix etc? Using a 75” Sony XF9005 (X900F is USA Version)

Looking forward to receiving my Arcana.

Thanks for all your help

Userlevel 7

Is an HDMI 2.0 Cable with Ethernet 18Gbs OK for all the connections or do I need an HDMI 2.1 cable for the ARC to Arcana & Xbox One X to Roofull HDMI Switch?

What would be the best Streaming device - The new Chromecast, Amazon Fire, NVidia Shield to get the best quality Netflix etc? Using a 75” Sony XF9005 (X900F is USA Version)

Thanks for all your help

HDMI 2.0 cables will work just fine. HD Fury recommends KabelDirekt or Zeskit cables that support 120Hz at 4K.

An Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield TV Pro or Nvidia Shield TV seem to be the best all around streaming devices. Although if you are only concerned about Netflix, you should be able to get Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos from Netflix on your Xbox One X. Be sure to have the Premium subscription.

@melvimbe thanks for your workthrough, I have got the skyq working through arcana but cannot get the bluray player to switch in.

I’m also not convinced the picture is any better than what I experienced previously.

Could I trouble you to send me the settings on your arcana screen and vertex2 screen. 

I will then set it up the same and see whether it will work.

I have now downloaded the vertex app so presumably if autoswitch doesnt work I just click on the hdmi input i want to use.

Both work great separately with the arcana!

Thanks again

Badge +1

Thanks for all your help

HDMI 2.0 cables will work just fine. HD Fury recommends KabelDirekt or Zeskit cables that support 120Hz at 4K.

An Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield TV Pro or Nvidia Shield TV seem to be the best all around streaming devices. Although if you are only concerned about Netflix, you should be able to get Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos from Netflix on your Xbox One X. Be sure to have the Premium subscription.

Brilliant, thank you