Answered

New Sonos ARC - DTS support

Hi.

I have a Sony OLED A8F that only has ARC.   I understand the support sequence for Dolby decoding but wondering if Sonos will now be able to support DTS decoding?  Many of my movies I have ripped to disk using the best sound option only and many of those are any line of DTS.  Can you please verify if the new ARC will support any of these?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by controlav 10 May 2020, 16:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

I may continue to use my Sony player for 4k atmos movies.  Maybe I can find someone local who wants to trade an Xbox one for my PS4 -- see what my kids friends have :)

hi all - just to confirm - no DTS on my sonos - 

what a shame

otherwise amazing soundbar 

Just received my new Sonos ARC and so disappointed it does not support DTS. I have a lot of Sonos speakers and had a Receiver until I decided to make the move to a Sonos setup. Most of my Blu-ray collection have DTS only, and is a shame I have to downgrade to stereo on my zappiti media player, which by the way is highly recommended if you have a Nas unit. When ATMOS is used on the ARC the sound is amazing. Please make sure DTS is not your main audio if you are considering updating your setup to SONOS. 

Badge +1

Just received my new Sonos ARC and so disappointed it does not support DTS. I have a lot of Sonos speakers and had a Receiver until I decided to make the move to a Sonos setup. Most of my Blu-ray collection have DTS only, and is a shame I have to downgrade to stereo on my zappiti media player, which by the way is highly recommended if you have a Nas unit. When ATMOS is used on the ARC the sound is amazing. Please make sure DTS is not your main audio if you are considering updating your setup to SONOS. 

You might benefit from checking whether your Blu-ray player will transcode to Dolby Digital on the fly (many do) so that you don’t have to make do with stereo. 

I love sonos, but this is absolute garbage that they don't suppose DTS. If they want to be in the home theater market, this is a no brainer. I'm hesitant to buy a sonos home theater simply because of this! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I love sonos, but this is absolute garbage that they don't suppose DTS. If they want to be in the home theater market, this is a no brainer. I'm hesitant to buy a sonos home theater simply because of this! 

Don’t think you need to flog this dead horse any more. Their stance on DTS was clearly stated when the Playbar came out seven years ago and should not be a surprise to anyone with access to the internet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Don’t think you need to flog this dead horse any more. Their stance on DTS was clearly stated when the Playbar came out seven years ago and should not be a surprise to anyone with access to the internet.

^^^This

There are many threads on DTS and Sonos on this forum and on others (some even started by me!). The short version is that Sonos doesn’t support DTS and seems unlikely to, ever. 

They built the Arc for the streaming future - where Dolby rules and DTS is non-existent - and seem content to leave the physical media / Blu-ray Disc past behind. And like it or not, the future isn’t people watching movies or TV (or playing video games) from shiny little discs. 

If BDs are a huge thing for you and how you do most of your watching, the Arc probably isn’t for you. Sorry. There are lots of other quality soundbars and sound systems out there. 

If, like most people these days, you’re doing most of your watching over the various streaming / download services, Arc is a great fit.