New Playbase: Sony Bravia TV message "TV Volume is Fixed"

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 31 replies
I've just setup a new Playbase and all went smoothly, with just one small exception. When I change volume and use the mute key the TV shows this message "TV Volume is Fixed". My Playbase volume is adjusting correctly, and my TV speakers are setup to be off. (That is how I want it - the TV speakers are not competing with the Playbase)

I searched for this message and found a number of threads, but the solutions all involve changing the Audio Out setting back from Fixed to Variable. But this is self defating because it re-enables the TV speakers ... so it's no solution.

The perfect solution would be TV speakers Off, Playbase volume adjusted either by remote with synchronised sliding volume indicator coming up on the TV and no "TV volume is Fixed" message appearing. But I suspect the slider part is just not possible.

The next best solution is same as the above, with no message or slider appearing on screen as volume is adjusted by remote. I believe this is possible because mid way through the SONOS setup it actually stated there would be a solution to this very issue provided at the end of the setup procedure, but I never it mentioned again??

Hoping someone (or SONOS) can point me to the proper solution

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Have you asked Sony how to disable their message?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Not directly, but I did look through all the relevant menus and online manual. But the important point is Sonos actually say there is a solution during the install, so I'm seeking that SONOS expertise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
As I recall that solution is to configure a different IR code for volume up/down/mute, so the TV doesn't even think it is getting any volume signal at all. How feasible this is depends on which remote you are using. Personally I use a TiVo remote that was programmed to control a TV from years ago. While I have upgraded the TVs multiple times since then, the Playbar has remained, and never needed any change (nor the remote).
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
That make sense, thanks. I dicthed my TiVo last year as they've closed down here. Now I'm using a Fetch TV remote 99% of time (or Sony remote occassionally). I saw some people mention a 3rd party remote like Harmony. I tried one of them a few years ago but it was a PITA. Maybe there's a way to fool the Fetch remote ?
Just tell it that you have some other TV, instead of Sony. Then train your Sonos to expect that command, rather than the Sony IR commands.

Surprised, on the other hand, that you found the Harmony to be a PITA. I use two different ones, but maybe I'm just inured to it. And I don't have to go in and modify mine very often, so I don't get a lot of exposure to their setup functions these days.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
if I tell my Fetch remote it's not a Sony TV that might solve this small problem, but any other Sony functions it emulates would also stop working (e.g power on/off)... I can't see why i would do that?
if I tell my Fetch remote it's not a Sony TV that might solve this small problem, but any other Sony functions it emulates would also stop working (e.g power on/off)... I can't see why i would do that?This is the Sonos support page, you perhaps need to study that for your answer, albeit there is no mention of your particular remote, but you may find something similar that will work...

Eliminating annoying messages on your TV when using a remote
And generally speaking, things like power on/off are not reprogrammable on a normal Sony remote. It's only the volume and channel change that can be.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks everyone for the helpful clues. Looks like a tricky road ahead, I'll see how I go ...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks everyone for the helpful clues. Looks like a tricky road ahead, I'll see how I go ...

Hi Ninja.

I'm facing the same problem. Do you find a solution ?

Simon ☺️
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Simon, not really/sort of.

I re-enabled my TV speakers, so they "compete" with the Playbase. In this case the "Volume is Fixed" message doesn't appear, and the volume control / slider works normally. You can also control volume through the controller app.

Not what I was aiming for, but good enough.
Userlevel 1
I had the same issue on my Samsung. Following the SONOS instructions gave me the rude message on my TV each time I adjusted volume.

Solution?....Re-enable the speakers and plug a 3.5mm stereo plug into the headphone jack. This disabled the internal speakers whilst still enabling me to adjust the volume with no ugly on screen message.

Obviously only works if you have a headphone output on the TV.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
that's a neat idea timecode, I will insert a stereo plug into my TV and see if it is silenced for me too
Depending on whether you can program your TV's remote for another TV, you could set it up to use a different IR code, and teach Sonos to use that, so your TV would ignore what it was seeing, and the Sonos would react.