Answered

Netflix surround not working

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 11 replies

I have an amazon fire toshiba tv. tv is wirelessly streaming.

comcast is service provider. 

running hdmi from tv to beam, wireless sub and two play 1’s

amazon prime video and music play in surround

amazon music played through Sonos app plays in surround  

netflix 5.1 shows only play through the beam and the sub  

it’s driving me crazy  

Any idea what I can try?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 March 2020, 02:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Look in the controller, under Settings>System>About my System while playing Netflix, and see what the line Audio in: says underneath the Beam.

Either the show your watching is in stereo, or there may be audio settings you need to adjust from within the Netflix app. 

Sonos doesn’t know what the source is, it can’t distinguish between a signal coming from Amazon Prime or Netflix. It only plays what it is receiving, either Stereo or Dolby Digital.

I have an amazon fire toshiba tv. tv is wirelessly streaming.

comcast is service provider. 

running hdmi from tv to beam, wireless sub and two play 1’s

amazon prime video and music play in surround

amazon music played through Sonos app plays in surround  

netflix 5.1 shows only play through the beam and the sub  

it’s driving me crazy  

Any idea what I can try?

Just to say that Amazon Music will not be outputting from any source in ‘surround’ audio, it will likely be stereo and you have set the Sonos surrounds to FULL for ‘stereo’ music playback in the Beam’s room settings.

However that aside, you can check the audio that is input to the Beam from your TV by going to “Settings/System/About my System” in the Sonos App and find the Beam in the list of devices and look what is showing next to the ‘audio-in’ label … you will be looking for it to say Dolby Digital 5.1

If it’s not showing that the audio-in is Dolby Digital 5.1 format, then you need to check the TV and/or any peripheral device that is playing the audio source and check that their ‘sound out‘ settings are set to either Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Audio 5.1.

The sound out should not be set to ’DTS’ or ’Dolby Digital Plus’ as those codecs do not work with the Sonos Beam. PCM audio out will only provide you with TV stereo to the Beam only, which is perhaps what might be happening in your case, 🤔so avoid that too, if possible or use it as a last resort if Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital are unavailable with your hardware

Hope that will assist you to resolve this audio output issue.   

Badge

I’m watching a Netflix show and Sonos app says Audio in: Dolby Digital 5.1 but nothing is coming out of the two surrounds. The TV audio output is set to Dolby Digital. I’m not finding useful settings in the Netflix app. 

The Amazon app has two audio output choices. When I use stereo, the surrounds sound. The Sonos app shows Audio in: Stereo. When I use  Dolby Digital Plus the surrounds are again silent and the  Sonos app shows Audio in: Dolby Digital 5.1. The Amazon app doesn’t offer just straight Dolby Digital although the amazon tv’s software does  

Any other thoughts for me? 

If the app says that the Sonos is receiving Dolby Digital, that means the show is being sent in Dolby Digital, but they’ve chosen not to use the surround channel. I’ve got that same issue with preseason football games, my local channel sends a 5.1 signal, but the actual show is only in stereo, so I get no surrounds, no center channel, and no LFE. 

The best thing to do is complain to Netflix, your TV and Sonos are working as designed. 

Badge

If the app says that the Sonos is receiving Dolby Digital, that means the show is being sent in Dolby Digital, but they’ve chosen not to use the surround channel. I’ve got that same issue with preseason football games, my local channel sends a 5.1 signal, but the actual show is only in stereo, so I get no surrounds, no center channel, and no LFE. 

The best thing to do is complain to Netflix, your TV and Sonos are working as designed. 

The part I don’t understand is the Netflix show, Schitt’s Creek, says it’s HD and 5.1, the Sonos app says Audio in: Dolby Digital, but the surrounds aren’t on. Something isn’t right. The surrounds never come on unless I switch to stereo. 

As I say, if the Sonos controller app says it is receiving Dolby Digital, it likely is so. Have you tried another Netflix show, or movie, for comparison?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@MIWI Have you tried other shows? Star Trek Discovery will use surround I believe.

Also please remember that surround speakers (when in TV mode) just play surround sound. No music (just applause) in concerts, no dialogue (just cars driving away, helicopters flying over and birds chirping).

MIWI,

In the Sonos App “Settings/System/[Beam Room Name]/Surround Audio" there is a toggle switch to enable/disable the HT surround speakers .. try toggling it off and on again and also hit the reset button on that screen and see if that might resolve the matter… maybe try moving the ‘TV Level’ slider bar over to the right hand side too, to see if that may help ?

Badge

I found a program called Test on Netflix and you all are right. The surrounds worked with that. It plays tones that move around and identify which channel is sounding. And some of the shows that say they’re 5.1 arent streamed that way. I found a movie set in outer space that IS 5.1 and the sound is amazing. The movie itself didn’t interest me but that isn’t the point. Thanks, people. 

I had the same problem but didn't know how to fix it. so I switched to etching film application

I have the same problem but don't know how to fix it. so I switched to the movie app https://techbigs.com/teatv.html

Does anyone know how to fix this problem yet?

I have the same problem but don't know how to fix it. so I switched to the movie app https://techbigs.com/teatv.html

Does anyone know how to fix this problem yet?

What problem do you have? What hardware/software are you using?

i am also getting an error to Download this WhatsApp Plus Apk how to fix 

i have the same problem with me as well. Please guide.

I also had some issues like this with FM WhatsApp APK a long time ago. Then I updated this app and my problem is solved. You can also update your app and see. Maybe your problem is solved....

Updating did not fix it for me. Same as op, netflix 5.1 only beam

i think this is about Netflix site error there are various solution to this on internet you can check them out

Just Clear App Cache and Try if it doesn’t work then Try Modified Version Of Netflix because there is no alternatives which is better than Netflix. You can download Modified Version From .

Moderator Note: Link removed to comply with forum rules.