Netflix 4K Playbar Crackle

When playing 4K content from Netflix my Playbar produces an intermittent crackling sound. The sound at is connected to a Sony Bravia XBR55X850C

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hi! What source are you playing the Netflix 4K from and where is the playbar connected? Do you have any visual artifacts on the display like sparkles or flickering?
Hi - Netflix plays from the app on the Sony Bravia XBR55850C. No, no visual issues at all, just the audio crack/pop
I'm having the same issue! With the same TV. It will crackle with 4k Netflix content. Sometimes there will be no audio or there will be just vackground audio and NO VOCALS.
Just found this thread, I have the same issue with my Sony 55X8505B, anyone figured out why we have this crackling sound in Netflix?
Same problem, same TV. Only mine goes beyond a crackling sound- it now starts as a crackle but then goes out all together for a few seconds at a time. This happens with Amazon video as well as Netflix. The cable sound and AppleTV are fine.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello All,

To get a better idea of what is causing the problem, It'd be best to get some more details from your system on what's happening in the background. Can you please submit a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number?

When replying back with the confirmation number if you could also include a few details about your issue.

jpbocina are you using the Netflix/Amazon Video app that is integrated into your Sony TV? If so could you also test the Netflix and Amazon apps on your Apple TV to see if they exhibit the same behavior?

If your TV is currently setup to output Dolby Digital can you make an adjustment in the audio settings of the TV to have it output PCM audio? After adjusting the setting, please try to re-create the issue and let us know if there is any difference in your reply.
Same issue using Netflix with the crackling. Diagnostic 7561804. Email me with the resolution please.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
User896273, Trevor Ross, snk, jpbocina and Fooyu. You should now have an update available. Please update your Sonos systems and let us know if the issue persists.
Now that's interesting. I hope one of those OPs comes back and reports as to whether this "update" works.
Setting my TV output to PCM got rid of the crackle for me - it was auto before and the other options was Dolby D. Vizio M65 2016 directly connected to the soundbar.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Setting my TV output to PCM got rid of the crackle for me - it was auto before and the other options was Dolby D. Vizio M65 2016 directly connected to the soundbar.

That's not a good solution, doing that will disable surround sound for your system which you want considering netflix has DD 5.1 sound encoding

Anyway, I believe this issue was already resolved? I don't have any crackling listening from netflix and I'm using bitstream - dolby digital 5.1 for the sound output on the samsung tv
Let me try with output set to DD and see if the crackle comes back.