Answered

multiple rays

Hi, i am restoring my living room and i am getting a steel beam in the roof behind the sofa.

Inside the steel beam its room for one sonos ray on each side. 

can multiple sonos rays Play music together? 

also in the future, if i get an sonos arc for example, can the sonos ray work as a back speaker ? 
regards Benjamin 

icon

Best answer by ratty 7 August 2022, 13:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

can multiple sonos rays Play music together? 

They can’t be bonded together as a single home theatre setup. They can only be set up as separate rooms then grouped together.

For music they’d play in sync; for TV audio they would be slightly out of sync. 

also in the future, if i get an sonos arc for example, can the sonos ray work as a back speaker ? 

No-one can predict the future, but as of today the answer is no. The Ray can only work as a front soundbar, providing the L, C & R channels. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, when playing music two Rays (both in their own “room” in Sonos) can be grouped. Maybe two Five’s would work better in this respect though. I would also point the Rays downward to direct the sound to the listener.

No, all Sonos soundbars are FL-Center-FR and cannot be used as rear speakers in a surround set up. Though their where rumours the Ray was different in this respect, the rumours where false.….

Yes, when playing music two Rays (both in their own “room” in Sonos) can be grouped. Maybe two Five’s would work better in this respect though. I would also point the Rays downward to direct the sound to the listener.

No, all Sonos soundbars are FL-Center-FR and cannot be used as rear speakers in a surround set up. Though their where rumours the Ray was different in this respect, the rumours where false.….

Sure Two Fives would be better, but it’s the size of the ray who fits inside. I am planning to cut out the drywall and make my own speaker cover infront for a completly hidden setup 

Boxing in the Rays as proposed would probably make them sound horrible, but if form has to win over function then so be it. 

Boxing in the Rays as proposed would probably make them sound horrible, but if form has to win over function then so be it. 

I am not boxing them inn, but cutting out, pointing the against where i sit etc and. 👍

Might the IKEA Symfonisk bookshelf speakers fit and perhaps be a slightly better option? As they can be used for both TV and Music audio with a Sonos HT master device.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/7/22872141/ikea-sonos-second-gen-symfonisk-bookshelf-speaker-update

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Could you feed them all an optical input?. Test first before drywalling!.

Sound wise they can be grouped in rooms, TV wise you want a direct connection imho.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Run some decent conduit or pipe so in the future you can pull a cable through, maybe leave some cord in for pulling through.

Conduit is an excellent plan. Make sure that the conduit will pass HDMI size plugs.

Over the long term I think that we will eventually go fiber, but in the short term the fiber will be dark. I’m torn over running single or multi-fiber cable. A single fiber could handle all of the likely traffic for a home, but we don’t yet have the variety of fiber terminations and breakout boxes that would be required for mass fiber deployment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Benkri1992 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

An option not mentioned here so far is getting a pair of passive speakers that will fit into the steel beam and connecting them to a Sonos Amp. The cables would be thinner and easier to hide, the speakers don’t have to be made to be wider than they are high (just put them on their sides), the two speakers would be seen by the system as a single left/right device for playback, and the Amp can be wirelessly bonded to act as rears for one of our sound-bars. The Amp also has line-in for external audio devices like a turntable (though line-in is disabled when Amp is bonded to a sound-bar) and a HDMI connection should you ever change how you intend to use it. I would also recommend some kind of foam cushioning placed between any speakers and the steel beam. As @ratty mentioned, this steel beam will not be ideal for audio reproduction - this could be mitigated if you block-off the cavity to the sides of each speaker.

Other than that, I think @Ken_Griffiths’ suggestion might be best:

Might the IKEA Symfonisk bookshelf speakers fit and perhaps be a slightly better option? As they can be used for both TV and Music audio with a Sonos HT master device.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/7/22872141/ikea-sonos-second-gen-symfonisk-bookshelf-speaker-update

It should probably be pointed out, however, that a steel beam has a very good chance of blocking WiFi signals, or reflecting the speaker’s own WiFi back to the speaker and creating interference. I would go with an Amp, as this will keep all the WiFi gubbins away from the beam.

I hope this helps.

If you mount speakers in a cutout inside the beam, make sure that the speaker is at least flush with the drywall surface. And I would recommend placing a block in the beam that prevents L/R cross coupling.

Note that SONOS or SYMFONISK powered speakers cannot be used as L/R front speakers in conjunction with a SONOS soundbar.

The SYMFONISK picture frame speakers would be OK for L/R stand alone music or as surrounds.