Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 11 replies

Are you really not supporting multichannel PCM on the newly announced Arc?

Why? It’s not a licensing issue this time.

It seems like there is always something missing with your home theater products.

icon

Best answer by Ditte 10 November 2020, 16:39

View original

328 replies

Badge

Got a nano906na and the latest firmware under software update is 0.3.10.28 which does not work for atmos. 

Badge

I am using the Apple TV 4K, with the audio settings set to Auto, and Dolby Atmos turned on.  My LG Nano91 is set to Passthrough, with eARC on.  I was not able to receive any sound when playing Atmos content until earlier this week when the new firmware update came through my tv.  Once the update was completed, I tried Atmos content on Netflix, Prime and Apple TV+ and was surprised that all formats were working without having to change settings any longer.  So something in the latest update has allowed the Arc to accept the Audio format from the Apple Tv box. 

What version of the firmware and TV do you have?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have 03.10.60

Although I have been told the updates are geographical.  I am located in US.

From what others are saying, the format I am receiving is Dolby MAT from the Apple TV, but it is still nice to have one place to go for all content, rather than using the LG tv apps.

Badge

I’ll just have to keep pressing the update every hour until they release a U.K. firmware. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Any update on the LPMC would be most appreciated, just got Arc and I’m very disappointed it doesn’t support it :( 

Badge

Nothing for the U.K. version of the nan906 yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nothing for the U.K. version of the nan906 yet. 

It takes a long time to localize the US version for the UK :laughing:

Badge

Ok I’d best stop pressing update every hour.  

Ok I’d best stop pressing update every hour.  

Had to laugh when I saw this. I have been doing the same thing in Germany.

Badge

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware

here is the official link to the uk firmware

Badge

double post.  Where is the delete button.

@Bertybassett 

I have checked a few of the European sites and they are all .28 as you and I are.  I do not understand why it takes so long to roll out to us.  I wished we could just load the US firmware but I would be afraid of bricking my tv.

Badge

because LG are rubbish!  Say what you want about apple but that would never happen in their world.

The USA version of the firmware more than likely is region blocked.

Any update on the LPMC would be most appreciated, just got Arc and I’m very disappointed it doesn’t support it :( 

Same here. How on earth was this not integrated to begin with??

Considering a return.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The USA version of the firmware more than likely is region blocked.

I’m sure the firmware is actually different. The US has a completely different broadcast TV standard than the UK, for one thing.

Badge

yes and it will be blocked from loading on your TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So I decided that I'm returning my Arc.

It didn’t make me fall in love with it, because of the silly issue here described, and I feel that €900 speaker really should. 

I may consider revisiting this when LPCM is supported, but not gonna hold my breath.

Badge

come on LG Europe pull your fingers out and release the UK firmware that fixes this.  Yes I know this is a Sonos forum, I wish LG UK has a forums and I’d post over there.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

come on LG Europe pull your fingers out and release the UK firmware that fixes this.  Yes I know this is a Sonos forum, I wish LG UK has a forums and I’d post over there.

It’s also off-topic. This thread is about LPCM support on Sonos Arc. Nothing to do with LG...

hi @Bertybassett 

LG released an update last night for 2020 Nano in Europe and now i get dolby atmos from apple tv 4k with sonos arc.  

Badge

Yes me too. I am not sure how the Sonos is doing PCM if it does not support PCM but don’t care as the atmos Dolby sign is displayed and I am now happy. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I am still waiting for the LPCM update, as it enables higher sound quality than compressed Dolby. People like me, who use an Apple TV, can get either Dolby Digital 5.1 or LPCM. I want Sonos to support the latter, because it enables higher fidelity sound!

Badge

Oh I see. PCM works fine after LG firmware just not lpcm for high sq and Sonos need to fix that as promised. Is that correct. 

Badge

I got the physical Apple TV and Dolby on new firmware. Guessing via pcm not lpcm. Is that correct?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Your TV takes in LPCM (or Dolby MAT because I think that’s how Apple TV sends Atmos), compressed to DD+ probably, and sends it to Sonos (you should see in Sonos app what format data it’s getting).

for me Atmos was never a problem (LG C9), it’s the 5.1 content that is being flattened to 2.0 :(