Move or roam as surround speakers

Userlevel 4
Badge

Dear all, just a quick suggestion: wouldn’t it be possible to use roam or move speakers as surround spekers for 5.1 systems? Taht would give even greater flexibility and eliminate the need to find a plug in the right location. Usually, you don’t see a picture or a 5.1 program longer than the 10 hours of autonomy of those products, and the design would become cleaner without any wire!

Is there any technical questio that prevents this? Are you planning to solve it out at some point?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

85 replies

Here's my added vote for this. 

Please add surround support for Roam. As others have said, I had assumed it would be possible, why not? 

I was about to order another Roam for this purpose until I saw this post. Holding off for now. 

If you did this Sonos you would have a unique solution. Worth considering this. 

I would buy two battery powered surrounds to work with my Arc

What a complete waste of a product! Not being able to use a pair of CORDLESS!!! Roams as surrounds is ridiculous! Time for a change of brand for sure

What a complete waste of a product! Not being able to use a pair of CORDLESS!!! Roams as surrounds is ridiculous! Time for a change of brand for sure

So which other brand gives you the ability to use battery operated units as surround speakers?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sony… Check 5 messages below for the references.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Then I guess you’ve found your Sonos replacement.  Time to kill the bunny.

Cheers!

Worth noting that although those Sony speakers do appear to be wireless rear audio speakers (with atmos upfiring option)...that’s all that they are.  They can’t be used as portable speakers on their own via WiFi or bluetooth.  So yes, they are a good choice if all you want completely wireless (no power cord) rear audio.  If you need just portable bluetooth, there are a ton of options out there as well.  If you want something that is both a portable bluetooth and WiFi speaker, Move and Roam are good options.

I was going to make the same point, Danny.   Sony have designed their speakers for one purpose.  Sonos has designed the Roam and the Move for various other purposes.  You can’t please all of the people all of the time.

@DiverFlo - if what you really want above all else is wireless and cordless rear speakers, you should definitely switch brands to Sony. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi there,

That’s not about if I like one or another, neither about defending a brand or another. The topic is about portable surround solution, so did I answer. Technically.

Good day!

Hi there,

That’s not about if I like one or another, neither about defending a brand or another. The topic is about portable surround solution, so did I answer. Technically.

Good day!

I think the point is that for a meaningful comparison one would not use cordles speakers that are designed for the sole purpose of.being rear speakers in a single HT in fixed locations.

Sonos called them the Roam and Move for a reason.