Question

Microphone/Karaoke set up

• 8 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Is there any possible way to set up a Microphone/Karaoke system with the soon to be released Sonos Ark.

My thought process is the following:

Purchase a Bluetooth mic from amazon and set it up with my LG C9 Tv while my Ark is hooked via an HDMI eARC input. Then I would either play a youtube video or stream a song via airpay in hopes that I can use a mic to sing along.

What are your thoughts? would this work? if Not, does anyone know of a way to achieve this setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’m not 100% sure I follow your setup, but I don’t think you could use airplay 2 with karaoke.  The import factor for karaoke is the audio from whatever mic you use mist be played back on a speaker in real time, and airplay 2 has an inherent delay in it.

Your bluetooth mic should be fine, but whatever mixer you get should have an HDMI output to pass any audio and video to the TV which could be then passed via HDMI-ARC to the Sonos Arc.

I purchased this device a while back, which I think would do what you’re looking for, though I never used it with a TV.  A couple points to note is that although this supports HDMI-ARC, I don’t think you’d want to use that functionality for this case, just plug the HDMI output to a different TV input.

Danny,

How is your setup with the device you mentioned if not used with a TV?

As long as I can hear music and talk through a mic while using the Sonos speakers that’s a win for me. The TV would be cherry on top because I could read the lyrics of the TV through youtube. 

I used it for the aux (RCA) input and two wireless mics with aux audio output only.   I did not use the HDMI passthrough, or HDMI-ARC functionality at all.  But your thread has me rethinking the potential for the device I have (no optical output on mine).  Going to try and find time to do some testing this week.

Please me know your findings.