Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Userlevel 3

LG has released a firmware upgrade for the B9/C9/E9 supporting multichannel PCM passthrough.  This is great except Arc doesn’t support it yet.

Because of this new update, my Apple TV decides it should use LPCM instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 with Atmos enabled resulting in only 2.0 audio for non Atmos content.  The current only workaround is to disable Atmos and enable it when you want to watch an Atmos file.  Very frustrating as the previous firmware had no issue.

icon

Best answer by Ditte 10 November 2020, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

Yep no sound if using Atmos turned on (on the Apple TV 4K) as in your screen grabs.  Using the same settings and ZERO sound.  Have to turn off Atmos on the Apple TV 4K and then it works with Dolby Digital 5.1.

With the built-in LG apps it does work for Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney i.e., Atmos with Sonos Arc.   So for now I have stopped using the Apple TV 4K.

On the 2020 75 Nano it also has no sound on the internal tv speakers with Atmos on when using the Apple TV 4K.   So this must be related to the update LG made to the way they handle LPCM.  I verified this others owners of the 2020 Nano and they have the same issue as well..different threads.

I almost considered changing to the new LG soundbar 7.1 channel setup but I am too far invested in Sonos so I decided not too.  I have Sonos speakers throughout my household and I use airplay 2 so it doesn’t make sense.

And its too late to return the New TV.   Not really a deal breaker as I don’t listen to the tv speakers, always had a Playbar or beam and now the Sonos Arc.  I am hoping the update that Sonos is working on for LPCM will fix it., and if that fails to see how everyone does with the HD Fury Arcana adapter.

You guys aren’t getting Atmos or any sound at all?

No sound at all unless I force 5.1 from Apple TV or use LG built in apps. Just have to wait for Sonos or LG to release a fix I guess.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Same here.  I appreciate the photos, but those settings are not allowing any sound through my Nano91. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Don’t forget, these expanded Apple menus only appear IF you are plugged into the ARC (eARC) port on your TV.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Is this future update more beneficial for people that use external devices?

I’m using internal apps on my LG CX to the Sonos ARC and seem to get the best audio possible I think.

Netflix I get atmos (dd+) and dolby digital plus 5.1 

Apple tv app purchased movies I get atmos as above and dolby digital 5.1 

Have an Oppo 203 as well which I presume I willl get atmos (true HD) for UHD atmos discs, but not tested that as yet.

So where does this future LPCM update come into play?

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey there,

I have not read every reply in this thread but I have an LG BX 65” OLED (2020), Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc. Apple TV Atmos content is silent for me, dead silent. All other audio types worked perfectly. I thought it was an Arc+Apple TV issue because because Atmos worked perfectly from other sources, the built in TV apps, a Sony 4K Blu-ray player, Xbox. 

But then, I unplugged the Arc from the TV and switched the audio to the TV’s own built in “atmos” speakers. Apple TV 4K Atmos tracks also did not work here, once again it was silence and all other audio types from all sources worked perfectly.

The Television is the problem here, right?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Don’t forget, these expanded Apple menus only appear IF you are plugged into the ARC (eARC) port on your TV.

These are my exact settings, and it works perfectly with everything but the Apple TV 4K...

Hey there,

I have not read every reply in this thread but I have an LG BX 65” OLED (2020), Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc. Apple TV Atmos content is silent for me, dead silent. All other audio types worked perfectly. I thought it was an Arc+Apple TV issue because because Atmos worked perfectly from other sources, the built in TV apps, a Sony 4K Blu-ray player, Xbox. 

But then, I unplugged the Arc from the TV and switched the audio to the TV’s own built in “atmos” speakers. Apple TV 4K Atmos tracks also did not work here, once again it was silence and all other audio types from all sources worked perfectly.

The Television is the problem here, right?

Supposedly its that the Sonos Arc does not support Dolby LPCM yet and they are working on it according to a community manager.  This will allow the Apple TV 4K Hardware to passthrough the signal to Sonos Arc.  Internal Apps work on TV.

To answer your question is it the TV...yes, but it is also a little bit the fault of Apple and Sonos as well.

LG changed the FW in how they process LPCM and so I guess on many 2020 LG TV like you and I have, we then get no sound from the external Apple TV 4K Hardware if Atmos is enabled. Apple takes the position apparently to deliver Atmos differently and Sonos didn’t implement the Dolby LPCM at launch.

I have resolved myself to just using the internal apps on my 2020 LG i.e, Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney for now and therefore I do get Atmos on the Sonos Arc.    I am not super happy about the situation but I can not return the TV or Sonos Arc now.

Funny enough, Apple TV 4K does passthrough Atmos on my 2017 Oled to the internal TV speakers as well as the Sonos Arc.   I am not a techie and am just pointing out the items I read in other posts while I was trying to figure out just like you if my TV is a problem.  I contacted LG and Sonos and they were no help so I turned to the forums and there are a ton of people experiencing the same thing with 2020 LG models and the Apple TV 4K.  It also applies to the Xbox One X if you enable Atmos as they also send it as LPCM.

Here is the thread where they confirm they will add it.

Userlevel 1

I have a 65NANO91ANA. Just updated to:

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

It appears that the LPCM support is still lacking and no change on the aforementioned Atmos comments.  I have preordered and HDfury Arcana in hopes it arrives before the software updates happen or my TV return policy expires. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

It appears that the LPCM support is still lacking and no change on the aforementioned Atmos comments.  I have preordered and HDfury Arcana in hopes it arrives before the software updates happen or my TV return policy expires. 

Note that Arcana won’t help you here. Apple TV 4k pushes out multi channel LPCM. So, until Arc supports that format, you will have to toggle the Apple TV sound output between Dolby conversion and “auto” for Atmos.

Userlevel 1

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

Note that Arcana won’t help you here. Apple TV 4k pushes out multi channel LPCM. So, until Arc supports that format, you will have to toggle the Apple TV sound output between Dolby conversion and “auto” for Atmos.

The ARC supports MAT2.0, which is what the AppleTV 4K puts out. Just chatted with HDfury and they verified it will work. Here’s the video where they proved it: https://streamable.com/xj2fbf

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

1. Apple tvOS 13.4.8
  2. Sonos 12.0.3
  3. LG 03.10.25

The ARC supports MAT2.0, which is what the AppleTV 4K puts out. Just chatted with HDfury and they verified it will work. Here’s the video where they proved it: https://streamable.com/xj2fbf

You will get Atmos, but with regular surround, you will revert to PCM 2.0. It’s an annoyance with Apple TV4k and current Arc LPCM support. Eventually, this will be fixed. 

Userlevel 2

Has the LPCM support issue been fixed yet?  I’m on the fence about getting the ARC for my C9 77” with heavy a ATV 4K use. It seems there is such a crossover between Apple and Sonos that this would be a non-issue out of the gate. Trueplay is iOS only, so there is obviously an open line of communication between Sonos and Apple.  Either way, at this point, I think I’m going to compare the Klipsch 54A which is supposed to release any day and offers front and rear Atmos drivers. Then get a Sonos Amp to handle stereo music tasks in that room.  How does the Arc fair when playing music? I think I may be better served with this setup anyway.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Has the LPCM support issue been fixed yet?  I’m on the fence about getting the ARC for my C9 77” with heavy a ATV 4K use. It seems there is such a crossover between Apple and Sonos that this would be a non-issue out of the gate. Trueplay is iOS only, so there is obviously an open line of communication between Sonos and Apple.  Either way, at this point, I think I’m going to compare the Klipsch 54A which is supposed to release any day and offers front and rear Atmos drivers. Then get a Sonos Amp to handle stereo music tasks in that room.  How does the Arc fair when playing music? I think I may be better served with this setup anyway.

I think the Arc sounds great with music-I have it in a 5.1 setup with the sub and two rears connected to an Amp.  I also have another Arc in a 5.1 config with the Sonos Ones.  Both sound great to me, but it’s obviously a personal preference. 

LPCM is not yet fixed, but you can use the built in LG apps or manually change the LG’s audio settings based on what you listen to on the Apple TV.  Takes 5-10 seconds.  Sonos will release LPCM support eventually (they announced that)-it’s not really an Apple issue but a standard they don’t yet support (they support PCM but not LPCM).  LG’s firmware used to correct for this because LG didn’t support LPCM so it would convert everything automatically, but no more.  So, LG may also release a fix to automatically convert it again. In fact, what is really broken is the “automatic” setting in the LG audio settings. But either LG fixing it or Sonos releasing LPCM support would eliminate the issue.  

Just wanted to chime in here and say I have the same problem - no sound from ARC via 2020 LG 65 NANO86TNA from Apple TV 4K when viewing Atmos movies.

To describe it as a disappointing is an understatement.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just wanted to chime in here and say I have the same problem - no sound from ARC via 2020 LG 65 NANO86TNA from Apple TV 4K when viewing Atmos movies.

To describe it as a disappointing is an understatement.

Have you done the steps set forth earlier in the thread with the photos?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sonos are quite slow with software update aye, no LPCM yet

Hi ewolkoff. Yes, I was excited to see your photos and copy the setup exactly, but unfortunately it did not work for me. My settings on the Apple TV were identical to yours but the Audio/Sound settings on the LG are slightly different, as you can see from my pix.

Once the HDMI is selected there is no sub-menu offered, like in your images. I have to navigate to Additional Settings to find the Pass Through and eARC options.

But now, to add to my woes, I messsed around with the settings on the tv AND the 4KATV and now the Dolby Atmos option is gone from the Apple TV Audio Options - it just offers Dolby 5.1 now. :(

I knew I shouldn’t have messed around with my settings.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi ewolkoff. Yes, I was excited to see your photos and copy the setup exactly, but unfortunately it did not work for me. My settings on the Apple TV were identical to yours but the Audio/Sound settings on the LG are slightly different, as you can see from my pix.

Once the HDMI is selected there is no sub-menu offered, like in your images. I have to navigate to Additional Settings to find the Pass Through and eARC options.

But now, to add to my woes, I messsed around with the settings on the tv AND the 4KATV and now the Dolby Atmos option is gone from the Apple TV Audio Options - it just offers Dolby 5.1 now. :(

I knew I shouldn’t have messed around with my settings.

Your problem is the pass through setting.  You are “passing through” the LPCM signal to the Sonos, which cannot decode it.  You need the TV to decode it first. Do you have an “auto” choice?

Hi ewolkoff. Apologies for the delay in responding. Many thanks for pointing that out. I have changed it to auto, but, due to my messing around with other settings (basically resetting my 4KATV to default I appear to have removed Atmos from my setup now and can only get Dolby Vision (Dolby Digital 5.1) sound.

I have dismantled all the connections and reattached and simply cannot get Atmos back.

I have tried to reset the Sonos Arc (unplug > hold PLAY and replug > wait for flashing amber and white light – but it just goes straight to green) but it doesn’t delete from the S2 app, in order for me to ‘re-establish’ a whole new setup.

And now the app doesn’t even register the audio going through the ARC. 

I have tried now every variation of setup on the LG, but Atmos is gone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi ewolkoff. Apologies for the delay in responding. Many thanks for pointing that out. I have changed it to auto, but, due to my messing around with other settings (basically resetting my 4KATV to default I appear to have removed Atmos from my setup now and can only get Dolby Vision (Dolby Digital 5.1) sound.

I have dismantled all the connections and reattached and simply cannot get Atmos back.

I have tried to reset the Sonos Arc (unplug > hold PLAY and replug > wait for flashing amber and white light(but it just goes staright to green)) but it doesn’t delete from the S2 app, in order for me to ‘re-establish a whole new setup.

And now the app doesn’t even register the audio going through the ARC. 

I have tried now every variation of setup on the LG, but Atmos is gone.

If you go to your HDMI advanced settings in the LG audio settings, do you have Bitstream enabled or PCM?  You need Bitstream there.  I think on your TV’s settings it would be where it says Sound → Additional Settings → HDMI Input Audio Format

Hi, again ewolkoff. Thanks again for your tremendous help. 

That worked - in that by changing the setting Sound > Additional Settings > HDMI Input Audio Format > Bitstream, I was then able to set the Apple TV to Atmos.

Can you explain how that is possible? That changing settings on one device impacts the options on another (ie, changes to a device downstream affects the primary device (4KATV, LGTV, ARC)?

However, despite Atmos being available from the Apple TV, as soon as I play any Atmos content from it (either via the iTunes Store or Disney, etc) there is no sound coming through the soundbar.

Back to square one. :(

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi, again ewolkoff. Thanks again for your tremendous help. 

That worked - in that by changing the setting Sound > Additional Settings > HDMI Input Audio Format > Bitstream, I was then able to set the Apple TV to Atmos.

Can you explain how that is possible? That changing settings on one device impacts the options on another (ie, changes to a device downstream affects the primary device (4KATV, LGTV, ARC)?

However, despite Atmos being available from the Apple TV, as soon as I play any Atmos content from it (either via the iTunes Store or Disney, etc) there is no sound coming through the soundbar.

Back to square one. :(

TV is still set to Auto and not Pass Through?  Also are you sure it’s Atmos content?  I have noticed that with this setup DD 5.1 plays sometimes with no sound or no voices until I switch to Pass Through again.  That’s why the system is manual — you have to change the settings to play DD 5.1 vs. Atmos.

The issue before was that you told your TV to only accept a stereo PCM signal.  Apple TV saw that and stopped allowing you to send high bandwidth Atmos signals.  

Badge

Hi any idea when the update to support lpcm will be available? After spending nearly €2000 on full surround package to its full potential. It really sucks. If I would have known about this I would never invest that much on this system. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In the same boat here, just got Arc and I'm very disappointed with the whole Apple TV debacle… would really appreciate the LPCM support soon, otherwise I’m gonna have to return the soundbar, it’s simply not worth the hoops