Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m still lurking also waiting for any news/fix for this.. I’ve got as far as a ‘level 3’ engineer with support after emailing the CEO and getting a response from Sonos on twitter, but I’ve been left hanging for about 2 weeks now with absolutely no response.

I guess my question is, has anybody had any kind of conversation with any of the level 3 techs yet about this? From what I can tell, when going the support route, that seems to be the point where the line goes dead.

Yeah, sadly its 3 weeks tomorrow sitting at L3 with no contact for me. 

I spoke with L3 yesterday and for the first time in 7+ weeks I’m optimistic this will be resolved.  I cannot say much but just wanted give hope to this community.  Its moving in the right direction.  

I think we’ve all been hoping Sonos understood this better and were working on this more in the background than they’ve been acknowledging. I hope this is true and I am encouraged to hear it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I’m still lurking also waiting for any news/fix for this.. I’ve got as far as a ‘level 3’ engineer with support after emailing the CEO and getting a response from Sonos on twitter, but I’ve been left hanging for about 2 weeks now with absolutely no response.

I guess my question is, has anybody had any kind of conversation with any of the level 3 techs yet about this? From what I can tell, when going the support route, that seems to be the point where the line goes dead.

I spoke with L3 yesterday and for the first time in 7+ weeks I’m optimistic this will be resolved.  I cannot say much but just wanted give hope to this community.  Its moving in the right direction in large part because of this tread and the work that’s gone on in here.  Thanks all!

Really appreciate you letting us know. If this does get resolved, a few things still needs to be done.

A) Everyone in this thread should be getting something from Sonos. $50 credit, year of Sonos music, etc...but something

B) Most of us are due an apology. I was essentially told I didn't under stand what bass was and how a subwoofer should sound by the last tech I talked to and was treated like a child even when I explained I fully understood what I should be hearing and how to tell if the sub was firing. While explaining that this happened after 14.6, but being told it was a network problem no matter how much you pointed to the problem occurring if you used an ethernet. Many of us were treated like simpletons.

C) I'd like to thank everyone on here that was going through extensive testing of things beyond my understanding with things such as the network diagnostics. I'm sure without that information disproving the myth that it was our networks, nothing would have forced Sonos hand.

So this is to crossing g our fingers and praying this really is going to be resolved.....let's wait for an update a BIG apology.

Badge

Just to throw my hat in the ring.  Cant say i’ve noticed dropouts but I have arc, with sub and 2 sonos 1 surrounds going to a Sony A8H.  Last night while watching my surrounds went out of sync with the arc.  Just about a second or two behind the arc audio.  I switched sources thinking it may have just been the imbedded audio (youtube video, stereo sound) but it continued on my cable box 5.1 source. I reset everything and my routers and the problem for now seems to have been fixed, however based on what i’m reading in this forum it seems I may be another impacted user.  Such a shame, my sonos has always been an absolute rock stable system.  Really disappointing to see how they are handling this as well.  They have always been great. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I spoke with L3 yesterday and for the first time in 7+ weeks I’m optimistic this will be resolved.  I cannot say much but just wanted give hope to this community.  Its moving in the right direction in large part because of this tread and the work that’s gone on in here.  Thanks all!

Really appreciate you letting us know. If this does get resolved, a few things still needs to be done.

A) Everyone in this thread should be getting something from Sonos. $50 credit, year of Sonos music, etc...but something

B) Most of us are due an apology. I was essentially told I didn't under stand what bass was and how a subwoofer should sound by the last tech I talked to and was treated like a child even when I explained I fully understood what I should be hearing and how to tell if the sub was firing. While explaining that this happened after 14.6, but being told it was a network problem no matter how much you pointed to the problem occurring if you used an ethernet. Many of us were treated like simpletons.

C) I'd like to thank everyone on here that was going through extensive testing of things beyond my understanding with things such as the network diagnostics. I'm sure without that information disproving the myth that it was our networks, nothing would have forced Sonos hand.

So this is to crossing g our fingers and praying this really is going to be resolved.....let's wait for an update a BIG apology.

I don’t need any of that just a fix is fine

Badge

I spent 3 hours chatting with Stefan from Sonos support about the issue today.

I have a Sony X90J, Arc, Sub and 2xOnes. Everything works fine until I switch to my cable input on the TV, then the rears and sub stop working. A power cycle of the rears and sub fix it….until next time.

If I switch between AppleTV 4K and the apps on my TV everything seems to work. It’s when I switch to the Cable input (Bell Fibe as I’m here in Toronto, Canada) that the rears stop working.

During the chat Stefan had me factory reset the rears, remove them, add them back, remove the sub and submit diagnostics along the way. What was interesting was that when the sub was removed and the rears stopped working, I started playing music from the Sonos app and the rears started working again - it was like the audio (Apple Music) from the Sonos app “reset” the rears, because after that they worked when I went back to Disney+ on the TV or Netflix on AppleTV4K.

Anyway, my case has been escalated to Tier 2 support now, so we’ll wait to see what they say and what happens.

In the meantime, I’m going to see whether playing some music through the Sonos app “resets” the sub and rears when this happens to me again.

Will post updates a I get them!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Out of interest @Frank Smith - why can't you say much?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Well, I would like some technical explanation as well so can understand what was causing it and many people could not isolate. It's kind of become my nemesis, and I like to know what has defeated me.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same, I appreciate that software is tricky, I just hope the lessen that they take away is to at least communicate better.

Actually I’d take being put on a priority list to preorder the mythical Sonos headphones haha

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Same, I appreciate that software is tricky, I just hope the lessen that they take away is to at least communicate better.

Actually I’d take being put on a priority list to preorder the mythical Sonos headphones haha

I'd take it

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can I get the spouse put on the list for the (never going to happen) CR-100 v2?

She is still mad hers are gone.  :-(

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Any ETA they provided? Been doing this forever now

Userlevel 3
Badge

Any ETA they provided? Been doing this forever now

I’ve not had anything like that I’m afraid, not even an acknowledgement of the issue. They referred me to L3, and then nothing, nearly 3 weeks ago now.. It seems I’m not the only one as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

For clarity, my system is: Boost, ARC, 1 x Sub Gen2, 1 x Sub Gen3, 2 x One SL’s and 2 x Fives. Orbi RBR20 Mesh. AppleTV 4K 1st Gen. Sonos has been Try-Play setup and run the ‘Connect TV’ setup. (NOTE: Voice Control has NOT been setup). 

Since before getting (more) stable, this is what I have done - which is a lot but going to list them out. 

1. Full factory reset of EVERY Sonos device to 14.8.1. (I have never done this with 14.8.1, only 14.6 so thought this would be worth a try). 
  2. Removal of one of my ORBI Satellites. (I had 1 x Router and 2x Satellites, went to 1 x Router and 1 x Satellite).
  3. Fixed IP address on every Sonos Component, and also the NetGear ORBI devices.
  4. Replacement of a NETGEAR switch to a TP-LINK switch in my office. 
  5. Moved my Sub which was very close to the ARC (around 1 foot to the left) to further away.

I am not saying the issue is gone, but its the most stable its ever been.

Well, several more days have passed and I am still unable to get the surrounds and subs to drop.

I really don't know what I did to make this increasingly more stable, but its the longest it's ever gone without an issue since April. Feels like I got lucky (for now) with a combination of things which has placed it into a more stable position. But what that is I just do not know, and I am petrified to actually touch anything.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

For clarity, my system is: Boost, ARC, 1 x Sub Gen2, 1 x Sub Gen3, 2 x One SL’s and 2 x Fives. Orbi RBR20 Mesh. AppleTV 4K 1st Gen. Sonos has been Try-Play setup and run the ‘Connect TV’ setup. (NOTE: Voice Control has NOT been setup). 

Since before getting (more) stable, this is what I have done - which is a lot but going to list them out. 

1. Full factory reset of EVERY Sonos device to 14.8.1. (I have never done this with 14.8.1, only 14.6 so thought this would be worth a try). 
  2. Removal of one of my ORBI Satellites. (I had 1 x Router and 2x Satellites, went to 1 x Router and 1 x Satellite).
  3. Fixed IP address on every Sonos Component, and also the NetGear ORBI devices.
  4. Replacement of a NETGEAR switch to a TP-LINK switch in my office. 
  5. Moved my Sub which was very close to the ARC (around 1 foot to the left) to further away.

I am not saying the issue is gone, but its the most stable its ever been.

Well, several more days have passed and I am still unable to get the surrounds and subs to drop.

I really don't know what I did to make this increasingly more stable, but its the longest it's ever gone without an issue since April. Feels like I got lucky (for now) with a combination of things which has placed it into a more stable position. But what that is I just do not know, and I am petrified to actually touch anything.

Wrap that b#$@h in saran wrap, tell the wifi and kids not to look at, don't breath on it, and keep your fingers crossed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Is 14.8 or 14.8.1 the latest for system update?

I know the app is 14.8.1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Is 14.8 or 14.8.1 the latest for system update?

I know the app is 14.8.1.

14.8 for the devices. (Apologies, 14.8.1 is the app)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Wrap that b#$@h in saran wrap, tell the wifi and kids not to look at, don't breath on it, and keep your fingers crossed.

To be honest, I am totally paranoid about turning it on and finding the issue has returned. Certainly taken something away from the days that I never worried about the sound and just enjoyed what we were watching! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi 

My rear speakers have been dropping out since the 14.8 update. This happens when I move between external HDMI inputs e.g. Sky Tv (UK) and PS5. To get the rear speakers back on I need to unplug and then plug in again the Arc 

power cable and then use the Volume buttons on the 2 Play 1s. 
I don’t know if my sub is working is there a test I can perform? It’s showing ok in the App but as we know from the rears that means nothing.

Thanks 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi 

My rear speakers have been dropping out since the 14.8 update. This happens when I move between external HDMI inputs e.g. Sky Tv (UK) and PS5. To get the rear speakers back on I need to unplug and then plug in again the Arc 

power cable and then use the Volume buttons on the 2 Play 1s. 
I don’t know if my sub is working is there a test I can perform? It’s showing ok in the App but as we know from the rears that means nothing.

Thanks 

Problem is, when rhe sub cuts out it still shows a connected status light. You have to play an action scene and feel for the rumble. If you have amazon, try the boys s03e04 the flashback scene. It should be shaking your house. It cut out on this scene with me and it is impossible not to notice if the sub isn't working....it will sound like a warzone in your house.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Well it just happened to me again!  After 6 days, the issue reoccurred as we all thought it would. However, on this occasion it was my rears and just one sub.  So a slight change there!

Funnily enough, I had just been listening to a Dolby True HD Demo via the USB PORT on the TV. It did not sound right and as I flicked back to my normal AppleTV, the problem was there. And it was the first time I used my TV remote to turn the TV on as I was just going to use the USB so there was no need to turn everything on via the AppleTV remote. 

So there we go, its still present and no combo of voodoo and tricks removes it. I did enjoy them 6 days though. 

Still not sure what @Frank Smith is alluding to in terms of hope. Frank, is there anything you can say or have you been told to not engage in such discussions publicly?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I just wanted to add that this illusionary stability happened to me last weekend. I had 2 days of "back to normal pre 14.6" surround sound. Then, I couldn't go 2 minutes without drop outs. It's crazy how random this is...

+1 on this issue.  I previously had a gen 1 Beam connected to a gen 2 sub, and 2 One SLs for surround.  I upgraded the Beam to an Arc and when I setup the Arc I was prompted to update.  My system hasn’t worked right since.  All the speakers show up fine in the app but the rears and sub either end up out of sync with the Arc or drop entirely.   Rebooting my router fixes the issue temporarily (sometimes less than an hour and sometimes for a few days).   The issue happens both when using the TV and when streaming music on Spotify.  

I hope Sonos fixes this soon!!!

Been tracking this thread since the issue appeared with my ARC (Sony XH90) and Play:1’s, no sub.   Can’t believe this is still not resolved!  

I’m wondering if the people who are now posting (late) in this thread and mentioning they have this same issue, have followed the advice of the Support Staff posts here, which clearly say they are looking into these matters on a ‘case-by-case’ basis.

Note: Staff have kindly asked that anyone experiencing the HT issue, submits a system diagnostic report within 10 minutes of it occurring and to then make direct contact with Staff via this LINK. It’s perhaps taking that requested action, which may help to get the issues resolved.

It appears some people are mentioning things here, but maybe then not giving Sonos the data asked for, nor getting in touch with them, in some instances.

Little point in posting here, if you are not currently providing the requested data and contacting/speaking with the Support Staff about the issue you are seeing with your own HT setup.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @Corry P and @James L.,

I’d like to request an update and/or additional assistance on this thread.

Of the few users who have managed to jump through all the hoops to be escalated to L3 support, all have said the trail goes cold from Sonos while waiting to be contacted except for 1 user. That user said they’d recently been contacted and felt the issue would be resolved soon but said they couldn’t share details.

For myself, I haven’t made it that far because it is very difficult to find an overlap between my availability, Sonos support’s operating hours, and the issue actually being present on my system. My free time and tv watching time just doesn’t align with support hours very often.

If Sonos could corroborate the report of the user who said a fix is coming, I would stop worrying about it. If not I’d like to keep trying to work with support, however have the following request: Assuming that Sonos must have a team investigating this issue based on the overwhelming body of contribution from the affected user base, can you give us a playbook to streamline the support process? Every time a support rep asks me to try something I’m not immediately prepared to do, the call ends and I have to wait another few weeks until I’m prepared and have the opportunity to call back. It would also be extremely helpful to work with a support rep who has good awareness of this reported issue and a side door to such a staff member would be sooooo appreciated!!! If Sonos truly cares about the users here, we need you to help us better.

Thanks for your consideration