Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

there’s also “Hey Sonos” coming soon

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yeah, I guess we would need to know if these new systems have changed anything in the Sonos eco-system - there is nothing out there with any deep specs at the moment. Something to keep an eye on, as next Generation (mixed with older generation) is likely to have hiccups whilst they have to support both. Naturally, this is just Brad speculating and working with 30% of the design/development picture. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted approximately 45 min. Had a call with a senior member of the Customer Experience team at Sonos. The call started off by them saying they are not aware of any issue… ya. 

D# 2005309792

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted all of 45min. Had a call with a senior member of the Customer Experience team at Sonos. It started off with them saying they are not aware of any sound issues… Ya.  Guess what the pic is below...

D# 2005309792

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted 45min

they are stopping my comments… Customer service right here… I’ll tweet the screen shots out after

The customer experience team says they are not aware of any issues… ya

D# 2005309792

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted 45min

they are stopping my comments… Customer service right here… I’ll tweet the screen shots out after

The customer experience team says they are not aware of any issues… ya

D# 2005309792

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted 45min

D# 2005309792

Moderator edit: This and earlier posts from @CKALOTS were mistakenly caught by spam filter due to diagnostics numbers being mistaken for phone numbers (which spammers have been posting a lot of recently).

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi All,

Firstly, I spilt beer on my Apple Keyboard. This is not good. And the keyboard is not happy with me and continues to protest with sticky keys. This is the first actual victim of this incident - I say this as I do not expect its life to extend much longer. 

Onto more important things. This is what I learnt from tonight's experiment. (Previous reporters of specific symptoms, please forgive the repetition below). 

1. I managed to replicate the problem even though the system is fully wired with no Wi-Fi. (No discredit to those who have said this before, its just that I now have 1209719091 as a reference during my Engineering conversations). Thanks to @Simple Panda
  2. Again, at least for me, I went to Amazon Prime and played a few trailers. Once I switched back to Netflix (Iron Man 2) the Subs and Rears were not functioning. 
  3. I then proceeded with the tip from @rsint and just disabled the Ethernet, and then re-enabled the Ethernet. All sound and normal operation was restored from that point. IMPORTANT NOTE: whilst doing this, my TV went blank and then come back to life. i.e. the disabling of the Ethernet and re-enabling did ‘something’ to the TV. whilst it was doing it. This (I think) has to be a clue in the investigation. I don’t know what that clue is/means, but whatever happens during that process is something to do with the issue - directly or indirectly. And it restores sound.

So Wi-Fi now has to be completely eradicated from the analysis. It's something more ‘up wire’. Some connection between the ARC and the TV (i.e. the network reset impacted the TV, quite visually) is in the mix. 

I don't know what this all points too, but it certainly eliminates communication and points more toward software at the ARC, TV, AppleTV level. 

If anyone has a spare keyboard, please send. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

ok I’m bored so I am going to try this to eliminate any HDMI CEC ghosts

- “turn off” (probably doesn’t actually turn it off) CEC on Apple TV

- unplug and power down Apple TV

- unplug and power down Sonos Arc

- turn off CEC on TV. hard reboot tv

- plug in and power on Sonos Arc

- plug in and power on Apple TV

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted 45min

D# 2005309792

FYI this forum blocked 4 different versions of me trying to air out this issue. I had to thin it out to above...Customer experience call was a tow the line 101.I’m up on twitter airing this out. @FailSonos

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I then proceeded with the tip from @rsint and just disabled the Ethernet, and then re-enabled the Ethernet. All sound and normal operation was restored from that point. IMPORTANT NOTE: whilst doing this, my TV went blank and then come back to life. i.e. the disabling of the Ethernet and re-enabling did ‘something’ to the TV. whilst it was doing it. This (I think) has to be a clue in the investigation. I don’t know what that clue is/means, but whatever happens during that process is something to do with the issue - directly or indirectly. And it restores sound.

I see similar behavior whenever I switch from sonos net to wifi or the other way. its the HDMI ARC handshake happening I believe

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I see similar behavior whenever I switch from sonos net to wifi or the other way. its the HDMI ARC handshake happening I believe

Agreed/ I think we are getting somewhere. Not new, but honing in on the problem. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

14.8 lasted 45min

D# 2005309792

FYI this forum blocked 4 different versions of me trying to air out this issue. I had to thin it out to above...Customer experience call was a tow the line 101.I’m up on twitter airing this out. @FailSonos

What did you say to get blocked? (You may need to paraphrase @CKALOTS)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

ok I’m bored so I am going to try this to eliminate any HDMI CEC ghosts

- “turn off” (probably doesn’t actually turn it off) CEC on Apple TV

- unplug and power down Apple TV

- unplug and power down Sonos Arc

- turn off CEC on TV. hard reboot tv

- plug in and power on Sonos Arc

- plug in and power on Apple TV

well this didn’t work but its nice to have a way now to temp resolve this without unplugging the power cable

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I then proceeded with the tip from @rsint and just disabled the Ethernet, and then re-enabled the Ethernet. All sound and normal operation was restored from that point. IMPORTANT NOTE: whilst doing this, my TV went blank and then come back to life. i.e. the disabling of the Ethernet and re-enabling did ‘something’ to the TV. whilst it was doing it. This (I think) has to be a clue in the investigation. I don’t know what that clue is/means, but whatever happens during that process is something to do with the issue - directly or indirectly. And it restores sound.

Dear lord....I am so sick and tired of hearing the "hdmi handshake" issues. This companies all need to figure this out and quick. Tired of not being able to just plug thus stuff in and it working.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Dear lord....I am so sick and tired of hearing the "hemi handshake" issues. This companies all need to figure this out and quick. Tired of not being able to just plug thus stuff in and it working.

sorry I didn’t mean the blank screen handshake was a problem, its just the nature of how HDMI works

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

HDMI is a mess and HDMI CEC is even worse and designing an entire high end sound system to rely on it sucks but there isn’t really any other option. I do not envy Sonos’ engineers

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

“Hey Sonos, can you rollback my devices to 14.5” 😉

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

“Hey Sonos, can you rollback my devices to 14.5” 😉

🤣

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just now paused a PVR recording for about 5 mins. Unpaused and all sound was gone. Luckily just had to power off and on the TV for sound to return instead of reboot. So much random behaviour that never occurred before.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

We've got 27 pages of this. Lol. Sonos just needs to come o. Here and acknowledge it. The secrecy thing does not look good and gives a bad taste to your loyals.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Anybody live in Santa Barbara? Could you drop by their headquarters and ask to speak to the manager?!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Anybody live in Santa Barbara? Could you drop by their headquarters and ask to speak to the manager?!

Send someone's grandmother...they love asking for the manager.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I've been thinking to drive up and have a chat, but I've sent two emails to Patrick with no response, so I don't think they care about us.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve received a couple of emails from someone at  Sonos support. He said they “consider the issues reported by our customers on a case-to-case basis.” So I guess this is still not being seen as a software bug? 

From the email:

“As you know, the diagnostic reports provide us with a snapshot of your system and give us a better understanding on what’s going on with every Sonos product in your system. The issue that you may have experienced may be more related to the health of the networking environment where your Sonos products are, than with the changes that were rolled out with the 14.6 update.

To be fair, the major changes that we’ve rolled out on that update are more focused on certain products like the Roam and the Beam. The feature that got a major facelift which affects all the products would only be about how the diagnostic reports are being generated and presented in the Sonos app. All other bug fixes and performance enhancements are very minor.”