Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I did another live chat yesterday with Sonos. Its getting ridiculous now. They were saying that they could see my system was picking up PCM from my AppleTv and thats why i have no surrounds, as PCM is just stereo. I told him that Apple Tv outputs lossless LPCM which is 7.1 but he said it doesnt, and as he said that, the surrounds came back on. He couldnt explain it, just said it was weird. He then said that its my Sony tv, the settings are wrong. I give up. Why cant they just own up to it, acknowedge they are working on a fix and it will be sorted. As it is, ill just return it all and go another option.

It’s not an excuse but live chats are almost always with 1st tier support people and they very rarely are much better at providing service than someone who is just reading the available documentation for you (which of course, most of us can do ourselves anyways).

I feel like what we really need is some acknowledgement from Sonos on an engineering level that this is an issue they are actually working on fixing. It’s clearly a problem, clearly an issue that appeared with the latest firmware, and clearly not just “networking” issues that have somehow all appeared at the same time for all of us. 

Until the engineers (not support staff) weigh in, we are really just ‘hoping’ that a fix is coming.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It’s not an excuse but live chats are almost always with 1st tier support people and they very rarely are much better at providing service than someone who is just reading the available documentation for you (which of course, most of us can do ourselves anyways).

I feel like what we really need is some acknowledgement from Sonos on an engineering level that this is an issue they are actually working on fixing. It’s clearly a problem, clearly an issue that appeared with the latest firmware, and clearly not just “networking” issues that have somehow all appeared at the same time for all of us. 

Until the engineers (not support staff) weigh in, we are really just ‘hoping’ that a fix is coming.

Just an FYI, I spoke to tier 3 support. The issue has been acknowledged internally and they are working on a fix but there is no ETA yet.

Arc, Sub and 2xOnes with Apple TV 4K and LG C1.

Having horrible issues with Apple TV losing the Sub and surrounds randomly.  I’ve simply disconnected the Apple TV from the TV and I’m just using the native apps on the TV without any issues at all.

This has been going on for about 2/3 weeks now.  Not really acceptable by Sonos.  Why they don’t have a roll-back feature to previous iterations of their software is baffling.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Having horrible issues with Apple TV losing the Sub and surrounds randomly.  I’ve simply disconnected the Apple TV from the TV and I’m just using the native apps on the TV without any issues at all.

This has been going on for about 2/3 weeks now.  Not really acceptable by Sonos.  Why they don’t have a roll-back feature to previous iterations of their software is baffling.

Have you tried with tvOS 15.5 (just came out today)?

No, I haven’t. I unplugged my ATV a couple of weeks ago as I found the whole experience very frustrating.  I’ll fire up the ATV now and see if that works.  I rather suspect it’s a Sonos issue though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Just an FYI, I spoke to tier 3 support. The issue has been acknowledged internally and they are working on a fix but there is no ETA yet.

No ETA isn’t acceptable, managed to get L3 escalation engineer in the region and he did say that we have diagnostics and everything but we can’t promise a fix. Really unsure what needs to be done. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

No ETA isn’t acceptable, managed to get L3 escalation engineer in the region and he did say that we have diagnostics and everything but we can’t promise a fix. Really unsure what needs to be done. 

Given the pinned post at the top of this thread I’d say whoever you spoke to isn’t well informed. We’re all frustrated but I’m pretty sure the issue can and will be fixed. Sometimes software/firmware breaks things and it takes time to resolve. This issue took time to reach critical mass.  As I mentioned earlier, based on my discussions, while the engineers are now aware of the issue they didn’t initially have much data to go on as they surmised to me that most people weren’t initially realizing that their sub’s and surrounds were cutting out. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

No, I haven’t. I unplugged my ATV a couple of weeks ago as I found the whole experience very frustrating.  I’ll fire up the ATV now and see if that works.  I rather suspect it’s a Sonos issue though.

I have issues with my non-Apple TV devices since 14.6 so I would agree with you. The Apple TV 4K has always been rock solid for me and this issue started with 14.6; only real change to my system.

I have had sync loss with the PS5 (LPCM 5.1 output), my TV (Sony A80J), and my 4k Blu-ray Player (Panasonic 820).

14.6.2 is now available.  Not sure if it resolves this issue, but may be worth checking out. Just updated my system (along with the newest TVOS). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.6.2 is now available.  Not sure if it resolves this issue, but may be worth checking out. Just updated my system (along with the newest TVOS). 

Let’s give this a go!

Badge

Hello to all!

I have the same problem with my home theatre set (arc + sub + 2x five). I have this set from about 2 weeks. And my five’s and sub lost randomly signal.

I have even rebuilded my all wifi network to provide best signal…

I use Apple TV 4K and ofcourse it could be problem like Rammy33 wrote.

But I have noticed one interesting thing. Rear and sub lost signal always when I use trueplay adjustment. I reconnected all set last Saturday and did not make trueplay adjustment. And till today everything works perfect. Does not matter if source is ATV, tv decoder or Sony native apps. Maybe trueplay is the problem…

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

3 Minutes of uninterrupted sound loss… Maybe 14.6.3 will be the one. BRUTAL

Also I have a slightly different set up but the same audio drop issues. (ARC -  2- Ones - Sub - Port ) This all worked seamlessly until the recent update. ROLLBACK FFS. Dev 101

The system works fine listening to Spotify and choosing my output. But when I use the port to run the audio from my PS4 / Projector set up. It cuts out within a couple minutes. I have to re-boot the app to get the sound back. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just tested the 14.6.2 firmware update. Total sound loss while forwarding through a video on native Android TV YouTube app on Sony OLED. Sound came back on Arc soundbar automatically after a couple of minutes of silence. However, sub and surrounds were disconnected and remained disconnected.

New Diagnostic submitted: 439619364

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just tested the 14.6.2 firmware update. Total sound loss while forwarding through a video on native Android TV YouTube app on Sony OLED. Sound came back on Arc soundbar automatically after a couple of minutes of silence. However, sub and surrounds were disconnected and remained disconnected.

I had to restart all of my speakers (hard power cycle) after 14.6.2. So far though, it seems stable. Switched inputs on my A80J a times (PS5, Apple TV 4K, onboard apps) and sound is stable and staying in sync.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I had to restart all of my speakers (hard power cycle) after 14.6.2. So far though, it seems stable. Switched inputs on my A80J a times (PS5, Apple TV 4K, onboard apps) and sound is stable and staying in sync.

What prompted you power cycling all your speakers or did you do this just to be thorough? I’ve power cycled my Sonos Arc soundbar after the sound loss reoccurred after the update but have not done so for the sub or surrounds.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It’s not an Apple TV issue. I don’t even use an AppleTV and have the issue. In fact I pretty much only use the apps built in to my Samsung TV and have the issue with those.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What prompted you power cycling all your speakers or did you do this just to be thorough? I’ve power cycled my Sonos Arc soundbar after the sound loss reoccurred after the update but have not done so for the sub or surrounds.

Just quirks; similar problems to what you saw. Sound dropping out or crackling on my rears. My Roam and my Move also completely disappeared from my Sonos setup. Everything seems fine after a full hardware reboot. 

Really seems like Sonos introduced some pretty untested changes to networking in the 14.6 firmware. I’m wondering if some code to support the new hardware they apparently have coming (Mini sub, etc) is what is causing all the problems here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When you say power cycling, do you mean unplugging and replugging (or turning off power) each and every speaker that is part of the home theater system?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

updating my system now. will report how it goes after a few hours of watching

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

immediately after updating the issue occurred again. Will power cycle everything in case there’s a ghost in the network 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

at first glance it seems okay after power cycling everything but that’s how it was before too until it happened again. Will keep an eye on it and report back 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

at first glance it seems okay after power cycling everything but that’s how it was before too until it happened again. Will keep an eye on it and report back 

Happened to me right now after a power cycle unfortunately..

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Did you power cycle everything or just the Arc? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just occurred again even after a power cycle. Definitely not fixed 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Did you power cycle everything or just the Arc? 

Everything. It took about an hour for it to happen. I switched from inputs many times and eventually it happened.