Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

HELLO!?!?!? I am going to need someone from Sonos to acknowledge their update has broken our devices!

I feel for the poor moderators having to sift through all of this. So how about instead of them having to dig, sort and move the information on, they get #PatrickSpence in here to explain. What the hell is going on? His sitting high on the hog either the money from these sold devices. The silence is alarming. If you are a moderator, do yourself and us a favor...let them know you are tired of having to ignore this issue and force someone with some control to come on here and face the music for this mess.

I think they calculated how much the returns would cost to projected sales of the new system rollout and #patrickspence said, oh well, too bad for them. We stand to make x even if we loose Y in repeat customers. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sounds accurate. Guy needs his fifth swimming pool.

I emailed Mr. Patrick a few days ago, btw. No response 🤣 . douche-nozzle.

Trying people… Make noise, like someone else said

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Personally, I am getting tired of hearing to submit reports and each situation is different....it is painfully obvious the mass majority of us is experiencing the same issue occurs g at the same update. I am losing my patience with the denial and refusal to acknowledge the major issue. I'd like someone from this company to confirm this issue and tell us how they plan on issuing refunds if they are unable to fix this issue. I'm not going along the "oh well, I'm out $2K" route. This is either getting fixed quickly or time for some reimbursement.

Tweet and increase awareness, I have been tweeting since May 2nd week to Patrick Spence and @sonos. They haven’t responded a single time to any. My case is with a Level 3 engineer who confirmed that 14.8 doesn’t have the fix for the dropout issue and he confirmed that there is still no ETA of when a fix will be available. He stated that him along with a few colleagues are unable to reproduce the issue in their testing conditions . Not sure what to do as I purchased Arc and sub from different retailer and a pair of One SLs with stands from another retailer 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That’s the answer I got after my case was escalated to an L3 engineer:

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing troubles reported in regard to your Home Theater system. I'll be more than happy to assist and work towards a resolution. 

I understand that you are encountering audio Satellite interruptions, would this be correct? Reviewing the most recent diagnostic, I do see several errors just prior to its submission that would relate to audio interruptions. Digging deeper, the interruptions seem to relate directly to the incoming signal shared from the Tv. I understand we have also ruled out several of the Tv sources and troubles persist.

As a next step, could you confirm the following for me:

Do audio interruptions occur if Arc is connected to the Tv via the HDMI to Optical Adaptor? 

Next, could I ask you to recreate the troubles and capture a diagnostic within a minute or so of any interruption? 

Moving forward, I'd also like to capture some information on the Tv itself. Could you confirm the following at your convenience:

- Full Tv Model number - generally located on the back of the TV or by navigating to the TV menu. ( Just to clarify in the case notes I have the information that your  TV is LG CX that's all, while it will be better to have the Full Tv Model please) 

- The Software/Firmware version - is generally found in the TV menu under Settings > All settings > General > About this TV 

- Current audio output settings

Next up, could you confirm how the source devices are connected to the TV? HDMI, DVI, Component Video connections, etc.

If you could also let me know if you're using any HDMI switches or other adaptors that would be great. 

From here we can review to confirm the best next steps. 

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Although its great to hear back from Sonos, I am not sure there is anything new in this response. Just them asking for more information that some of us have already been through - or about to go through. 

I note the section when talking about the signal coming in from the TV. It pretty mad that LG, Panasonic and Sony seem to all be having the same problem from around the same time of April.

Yes, nothing new. My system is still stable so I’m not gonna change anything.

They are trying to divert the attention from the real issue. Have the same issue on Samsung TU8000, didn’t have one before 14.6 . Honestly don’t think they have yet identified the cause  as obviously we are busy launching new products. Appreciate all troubleshooting we have done but I think it’s time to make noise around this and make Sonos fix it and provide an ETA either by rollback to affected customers or by pushing a new update. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve emailed Patrick Spence this morning, and have been trying to make noise on Twitter about it.. I’d advise everyone else to try and do the same. Going to contact the UK supplier I bought from as well now. I think that’s the only thing that will make Sonos move any quicker with this. They’ve clearly prioritized the new products over sorting this out and current loyal customers have been hung out to dry.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What is really odd about all this is the fact it does not affect everyone and seems (I think) to be a mostly Arc issue??

I have the Beam Gen 2 with the full surround set up and have had no such issues at all. It is mighty confusing as I also assume there are Arc 5.1 system owners out there who also have not had this issue.

Maybe that is what is causing Sonos to be very slow in trying to resolve this, but I agree, more communication from them would be better than saying practically nothing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

What is really odd about all this is the fact it does not affect everyone and seems (I think) to be a mostly Arc issue??

I have the Beam Gen 2 with the full surround set up and have had no such issues at all. It is mighty confusing as I also assume there are Arc 5.1 system owners out there who also have not had this issue.

Maybe that is what is causing Sonos to be very slow in trying to resolve this, but I agree, more communication from them would be better than saying practically nothing.

@SarahN - out of interest, how is your network setup and how is your Sonos kit connected to your network?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Brad Porter  - so I have all my Sonos stuff connected via a Boost to my router. My only Wifi kit are my Roams and Move.

I have an LG OLED 2021 TV and the only external device I use is my BluRay player. So I mostly use the internal apps on my TV unless I watch a disc of course.

As stated, I don’t have an Arc, but have a Beam Gen 2 with a Sub and surrounds.

So far………………… no issues whatsoever

The things I read a lot on this thread are the Arc soundbar and Apple TV but maybe that’s just coincidence 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Must say you are one of the fortunate ones struggling to get around and I am sure lot of Sonos engineers will upvote your comment 😊. But, in reality, this is a major issue. Can I ask if you have tried switching content , as an example - flicking across Netflix, YouTube, Stan, Disney or playing music via Airplay? Also, most importantly what is the software version that you see in the Sonos app — About my system. May be you are at a release lower than 14.6 and haven’t been impacted. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@kuwarrulz_11 - I have the latest software  (14.8.1) with the SVC enabled on all my speakers with mics.

I switch content all the time (all be it on the built in apps on my TV) plus I play Bluray discs via my bluray player with no issues at all.

I do think there needs to be a look at this issue for sure but it definitely does not affect all users and some systems seem totally fine even with the latest updates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The other strange thing is that my system is more stable now than it was previously. I do have the issue, but its now from time to time (rarely in reality) where as before it would take very little to trigger the event in 20-30 minutes. I could not have a night of watching different programs without it occurring - last night I and the family was using the system for many many hours, and it did not have any issues at all. 

However, I have picked up a new issue (the lord giveth, the lord taketh away!) where on two occasions in the past week I have experienced TOTAL sound drop out when watching a movie. To be clear, that is ALL speakers.  Within 5-10 seconds its back without any intervention. I am not even sure its related to be honest, but never had that problem before at all. When I reported this issue, the Support person said it was network interference (when my MATRIX was all green) and placed SonosNET on a different channel. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have been puzzling of what is the point of me getting the SONOS Boost if my Arc + 2 x Gen 3 Sub + 2 x One are connected to it but still will be affected by my wifi router…? I thought the SONOS Boost creates a dedicated SONOS Net to connect SONOS products privately and not be affected by the wifi router? Am I buying a BS SONOS product which does not do what it claims…? The Tech Support had been pointing at my wifi setup for the dropouts! Peers have been asking about my near SGD$5,000 SONOS system and I have told them to avoid SONOS products at all cost. Unless they want to face the BS I am facing after spending thousands of dollars on a crap system. I must admit that I am pretty happy with the system before this SHIT dropout issue start happening since April this year… It was working near flawlessly b4 Apri.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Would it help if we all filled in this table of information so we can see what setup we have in common? Even if people who have never had the issue fill it in so we can see where our systems differ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@willhowe - good idea.

If my Beam is on wifi but I have a boost, I put it down as Wifi yeah even though it’s on SonosNet?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

it’s been 3 days since I enabled google voice assistant and my system is still stable after really heavy usage (movies in all formats, ps5, netflix). I can’t make the issue appear anymore. It’s really weird.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Would it help if we all filled in this table of information so we can see what setup we have in common? Even if people who have never had the issue fill it in so we can see where our systems differ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

@willhowe - it might be worth adding Network channels for 2.4 and 5Ghz, and also what the SonosNET is set too. (If applicable). Also, if people have Voice Activation enabled. 

I have updated my settings for now. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

it’s been 3 days since I enabled google voice assistant and my system is still stable after really heavy usage (movies in all formats, ps5, netflix). I can’t make the issue appear anymore. It’s really weird.

Same for me except I installed sonos voice assistant on the Arc, not google or Alexa. Previously had no voice assistant at all. Roku series 6 tv, Arc, two gen 3 subs, two Ones. Left it on all night and have been switching apps on Roku tv - did crash on couch, but was still working when I woke up. Hasn’t dropped out.

Still haven’t hooked up ATV 4k, but everything is still stable as of right now. Will connect ATV tomorrow if everything is still working and see what happens.

What sucks the most about this is that everyone has the problem, but not the same setup (obviously). Hard to diagnose. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I have been puzzling of what is the point of me getting the SONOS Boost if my Arc + 2 x Gen 3 Sub + 2 x One are connected to it but still will be affected by my wifi router…? I thought the SONOS Boost creates a dedicated SONOS Net to connect SONOS products privately and not be affected by the wifi router? Am I buying a BS SONOS product which does not do what it claims…? The Tech Support had been pointing at my wifi setup for the dropouts! Peers have been asking about my near SGD$5,000 SONOS system and I have told them to avoid SONOS products at all cost. Unless they want to face the BS I am facing after spending thousands of dollars on a crap system. I must admit that I am pretty happy with the system before this SHIT dropout issue start happening since April this year… It was working near flawlessly b4 Apri.

I bought a Boost after the problems started occurring after the 14.6 update. $100. Didn’t help. Bought a new Asus zenWifi AX 6600 to replace my Orbi RBK50 mesh. Didn’t help. $450

So, the Boost can go on eBay or the trash can, but I’m keeping the Asus mesh cause it is better than the Orbi, but I’m over $500 in the hole trying to fix a problem that belongs to Sonos.

Don’t listen to tech about your system - it’s their problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@willhowe i have added to your spreadsheet as i have had the issue but only briefly 

I had this after 14.6 but not as frequently as others but I figure more data is better than less 

One thing I noticed was all other contribution had one thing in common bt may be a nat issue?

But at this point I am blowing smoke...

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yeah, I’ve noticed we’re all on BT, although that may just be coincidence as they’re popular. I’ve added a few more columns if people could update/check. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

One thing I wondered; I have System > Audio compression set to ‘Uncompressed’ … and I know that’s not the default … wonder if anyone else has that setting on?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I also have Audio compression set to ‘Uncompressed'

I don't have the issues though so don't think this is relevant 

Add me to the list of users who have this problem since 14.6-14.8

I have two GEN three subs 2-SL Ones & The Sonos ARC.

my experience is this, The subs stop working, also the surrounds stop working.  Shutting down multiple devices such as the TV AV receiver Sonos speakers etc. Will result in echo/reverb coming out of the surrounds but still no sub sound.  Eventually everything comes back to normal and it sounds amazing again.  But it takes quite a few minutes after everything‘s been shut down and time has passed by for the sound to come back.  This can be very annoying!!!! It definitely happens when I switch inputs from regular TV to Apple TV unit.  I have a Sony A80J.  I truly hope they fix this very soon via firmware!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I bought a Boost after the problems started occurring after the 14.6 update. $100. Didn’t help. Bought a new Asus zenWifi AX 6600 to replace my Orbi RBK50 mesh. Didn’t help. $450

So, the Boost can go on eBay or the trash can, but I’m keeping the Asus mesh cause it is better than the Orbi, but I’m over $500 in the hole trying to fix a problem that belongs to Sonos.

Don’t listen to tech about your system - it’s their problem.

Actually the Boost did help previously before 14.6. I got the rear speakers cutting in and out initially when connected to my wifi router. However, after getting the Boost and transfer the entire SONOS Theatre system to its SONOS net, my dropping in/out issue is almost non-existence until the nightmare patch in April this year. With the damn patch, even the Boost can save the system. The new patch won’t cause the speakers to cut in/out, it just cause it and the subs to drop totally! Still damn pissed with this...

Userlevel 1
Badge

Between the audio dropouts related to Sonos vs Samsung Tv and the issues brought on by 14.6 I’m considering moving to the latest generation of Samsung atmos sound bar. I bought the Sonos gear 18 months ago and I’m beginning to think it was a huge mistake.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I also have Audio compression set to ‘Uncompressed'

I don't have the issues though so don't think this is relevant 

@sarahn

You are using a Beam though, all the issues seem to be linked to Arc. It could just be an Arc specific issue.

Maybe the link is Sonos Arc + Audio Uncompressed Setting?

(and since you have to manually set that, maybe that’s why some users don’t have the issue?)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

True. Could be this setting relating just to the Arc. Hopefully there will be more entries on the spreadsheet that might give some more clues