Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well it happened again with my other system just now,  Beam, sub and 2 ones. I was playing Apple Music direct through the Sonos app and the sub keeps losing connection. Diagnostics 265034. Contacted support and they kept trying to blame wireless interference on my network despite me linking this forum and explaining the issues started with 14.6. Very disappointed. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@azing - have you looked at your network matrix whilst your system is playing to see what the noise levels are like? 

(I do understand this was not a problem before April, just wondering if you can see what it is and its something you can supply to them)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That’s the answer I got after my case was escalated to an L3 engineer:

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing troubles reported in regard to your Home Theater system. I'll be more than happy to assist and work towards a resolution. 

I understand that you are encountering audio Satellite interruptions, would this be correct? Reviewing the most recent diagnostic, I do see several errors just prior to its submission that would relate to audio interruptions. Digging deeper, the interruptions seem to relate directly to the incoming signal shared from the Tv. I understand we have also ruled out several of the Tv sources and troubles persist.

As a next step, could you confirm the following for me:

Do audio interruptions occur if Arc is connected to the Tv via the HDMI to Optical Adaptor? 

Next, could I ask you to recreate the troubles and capture a diagnostic within a minute or so of any interruption? 

Moving forward, I'd also like to capture some information on the Tv itself. Could you confirm the following at your convenience:

- Full Tv Model number - generally located on the back of the TV or by navigating to the TV menu. ( Just to clarify in the case notes I have the information that your  TV is LG CX that's all, while it will be better to have the Full Tv Model please) 

- The Software/Firmware version - is generally found in the TV menu under Settings > All settings > General > About this TV 

- Current audio output settings

Next up, could you confirm how the source devices are connected to the TV? HDMI, DVI, Component Video connections, etc.

If you could also let me know if you're using any HDMI switches or other adaptors that would be great. 

From here we can review to confirm the best next steps. 

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Although its great to hear back from Sonos, I am not sure there is anything new in this response. Just them asking for more information that some of us have already been through - or about to go through. 

I note the section when talking about the signal coming in from the TV. It pretty mad that LG, Panasonic and Sony seem to all be having the same problem from around the same time of April.

Yes, nothing new. My system is still stable so I’m not gonna change anything.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

That’s the answer I got after my case was escalated to an L3 engineer:

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing troubles reported in regard to your Home Theater system. I'll be more than happy to assist and work towards a resolution. 

I understand that you are encountering audio Satellite interruptions, would this be correct? Reviewing the most recent diagnostic, I do see several errors just prior to its submission that would relate to audio interruptions. Digging deeper, the interruptions seem to relate directly to the incoming signal shared from the Tv. I understand we have also ruled out several of the Tv sources and troubles persist.

As a next step, could you confirm the following for me:

Do audio interruptions occur if Arc is connected to the Tv via the HDMI to Optical Adaptor? 

Next, could I ask you to recreate the troubles and capture a diagnostic within a minute or so of any interruption? 

Moving forward, I'd also like to capture some information on the Tv itself. Could you confirm the following at your convenience:

- Full Tv Model number - generally located on the back of the TV or by navigating to the TV menu. ( Just to clarify in the case notes I have the information that your  TV is LG CX that's all, while it will be better to have the Full Tv Model please) 

- The Software/Firmware version - is generally found in the TV menu under Settings > All settings > General > About this TV 

- Current audio output settings

Next up, could you confirm how the source devices are connected to the TV? HDMI, DVI, Component Video connections, etc.

If you could also let me know if you're using any HDMI switches or other adaptors that would be great. 

From here we can review to confirm the best next steps. 

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Although its great to hear back from Sonos, I am not sure there is anything new in this response. Just them asking for more information that some of us have already been through - or about to go through. 

I note the section when talking about the signal coming in from the TV. It pretty mad that LG, Panasonic and Sony seem to all be having the same problem from around the same time of April.

I have a Samsung TV and it also happens with that so now sure it’s related to a particular TV brand.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

After the past several days with the Bluesound SOUNDBAR+/Flex Surrounds/SUB+, I can confirm it is an excellent and stable home theater solution.  I love the BluOS app, it’s very feature rich and has no problems with large music libraries served over NAS (unlike Sonos S2).  It also supports 24/192 high resolution audio as well as MQA format.

I’m happy to have the whole Sonos chapter behind me.  It feels great to have a working home theater again!  The last of the ebay auctions will wrap up over the weekend and that’ll be the end of it.

The real fun starts today, though...I have a set of KEF R11s arriving, paired with two KEF KC62 subwoofers (wireless).  It’s all being driven by a NAD M10 V2, which is BluOS compatible. Rear surrounds will be driven wirelessly by the Bluesound POWERNODE.  This will be my new primary Home Theater setup, and the SOUNDBAR+/SUB+/Flex will go to the bedroom.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

After the past several days with the Bluesound SOUNDBAR+/Flex Surrounds/SUB+, I can confirm it is an excellent and stable home theater solution.  I love the BluOS app, it’s very feature rich and has no problems with large music libraries served over NAS (unlike Sonos S2).  It also supports 24/192 high resolution audio as well as MQA format.

I’m happy to have the whole Sonos chapter behind me.  It feels great to have a working home theater again!  The last of the ebay auctions will wrap up over the weekend and that’ll be the end of it.

The real fun starts today, though...I have a set of KEF R11s arriving, paired with two KEF KC62 subwoofers (wireless).  It’s all being driven by a NAD M10 V2, which is BluOS compatible. Rear surrounds will be driven wirelessly by the Bluesound POWERNODE.  This will be my new primary Home Theater setup, and the SOUNDBAR+/SUB+/Flex will go to the bedroom.

I guess this is what's next. Auction off the broken Sonos gear, accept losses and move on to another system that works.

My setup has started to get even worse, now all of a sudden the sound is gone completely, it will work in one app but not another, netflix seems to be the worst of it.

Disabling eARC made the sound come back immediately 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Still working here. Reconnected my wifi satellite again after a week. Just using Roku tv apps. Have not connected ATV 4k yet. Don’t want to jinx it and I don’t use it much, but I’ll see how it goes over the weekend and if all is still well, I’ll hook it up and switch inputs to see if I can force it to misbehave.

Mentioned before that I had drops everyday without the ATV being connected at all. No input switching, but since assistant installed, I haven’t had one (yet).

Userlevel 1

I’ve been having the same issue ever since 14.6 with Arc+sub (gen2) + Ones. Sub constantly loses connection. And on top of that, sometimes when watching Dolby Atmos content I get Dolby Atmos playback and can see it in the Sonos App, and sometimes, when watching the same show, on the same streaming service, on the same device with no other changes, the audio comes through as Stereo PCM. I bought this to replace my Samsung q90r. I used the same TV, same HDMI cables, and never had these issues. Always got Dolby Atmos.

When the Sonos works, it is thunderous! However, the overall Dolby Atmos experience sounds better on the Samsung.  I also don’t have to give up two extra HDMI ports. The only downside to the q90r is that bass doesn’t come close to the Sonos sub.

I’ve switched back to the Samsung and am returning the Sonos. I wanted to love it, but the lack of communication or fix for this issue, along with an overall better soundstage and additional ports on the Sammy has me waiting until the Samsung q990b is available in the USA. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I’ve been having the same issue ever since 14.6 with Arc+sub (gen2) + Ones. Sub constantly loses connection. And on top of that, sometimes when watching Dolby Atmos content I get Dolby Atmos playback and can see it in the Sonos App, and sometimes, when watching the same show, on the same streaming service, on the same device with no other changes, the audio comes through as Stereo PCM. I bought this to replace my Samsung q90r. I used the same TV, same HDMI cables, and never had these issues. Always got Dolby Atmos.

When the Sonos works, it is thunderous! However, the overall Dolby Atmos experience sounds better on the Samsung.  I also don’t have to give up two extra HDMI ports. The only downside to the q90r is that bass doesn’t come close to the Sonos sub.

I’ve switched back to the Samsung and am returning the Sonos. I wanted to love it, but the lack of communication or fix for this issue, along with an overall better soundstage and additional ports on the Sammy has me waiting until the Samsung q990b is available in the USA. 

Probably not related, but I found out that one app (Paramount+) on my tv (TCL Series 6 Roku) the audio track defaults to “English” and I have to hit the asterisk key on Roku remote and go to Accessibility settings/Audio and force it to change to DD+ or DD. Otherwise it shows and plays as PCM 2.0 multichannel even though it’s supposed to be 5.1. Only app that does this. Other apps just say it’s only the default audio available (Atmos, DD, DD+, etc.)

I googled the solution for that one app, and it’s not an Atmos thing like you mentioned, but it’s something with the app and my tv (Roku) - nothing to do with the Sonos issue but at least I can get 5.1 on Paramount+ now. 

Annoying

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Personally, I am getting tired of hearing to submit reports and each situation is different....it is painfully obvious the mass majority of us is experiencing the same issue occurs g at the same update. I am losing my patience with the denial and refusal to acknowledge the major issue. I'd like someone from this company to confirm this issue and tell us how they plan on issuing refunds if they are unable to fix this issue. I'm not going along the "oh well, I'm out $2K" route. This is either getting fixed quickly or time for some reimbursement.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Personally, I am getting tired of hearing to submit reports and each situation is different....it is painfully obvious the mass majority of us is experiencing the same issue occurs g at the same update. I am losing my patience with the denial and refusal to acknowledge the major issue. I'd like someone from this company to confirm this issue and tell us how they plan on issuing refunds if they are unable to fix this issue. I'm not going along the "oh well, I'm out $2K" route. This is either getting fixed quickly or time for some reimbursement.

Take to social media. Public shaming seems the only way they will step up and be acceptable. I just want my money back and they refused because of the 30 day 3rd party purchase. If enough of us make noise maybe those of us that just want a refund can get it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I hear you - spent a lot on this system and it worked like a dream until 14.6 update. It’s frustrating to get the same old crap from support (it’s your router etc.).

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Take to social media. Public shaming seems the only way they will step up and be acceptable. I just want my money back and they refused because of the 30 day 3rd party purchase. If enough of us make noise maybe those of us that just want a refund can get it.

Just posted this - will do more

https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/sonos-says-there-actually-isn’t-an-issue-with-the-latest-firmware.124255/

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Seriously, SONOS....loved this system, but this is ridiculous. It ran fine before the update and many updates before that. No equipment has changed. It's been long enough. You say you can't roll back because the uodate adds new equipment. To hell with your new equipment. Stop the launch of the equipment, roll back the update, rewrite the code for your new equipment, update, see if there is an issue. If there is an issue keep rolling back and try again until you fix it, THEN LAUNCH YOUR NEW PRODUCT. I don't give a rat's ass about the new crap....I paid for this crap!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/sonos-says-there-actually-isn’t-an-issue-with-the-latest-firmware.124255/

Nice. Just tweeted it out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Nice. Just tweeted it out.

Trying to figure out how to get this on CNN. There was a guy who wrote an article about how great the 14.6 update would be, but his email is gone now… trying to find it

Userlevel 1

Probably not related, but I found out that one app (Paramount+) on my tv (TCL Series 6 Roku) the audio track defaults to “English” and I have to hit the asterisk key on Roku remote and go to Accessibility settings/Audio and force it to change to DD+ or DD. Otherwise it shows and plays as PCM 2.0 multichannel even though it’s supposed to be 5.1. Only app that does this. Other apps just say it’s only the default audio available (Atmos, DD, DD+, etc.)

I googled the solution for that one app, and it’s not an Atmos thing like you mentioned, but it’s something with the app and my tv (Roku) - nothing to do with the Sonos issue but at least I can get 5.1 on Paramount+ now. 

Annoying

This was happening on the Netflix app, on my TCL Roku TV, while watching Stranger Things. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Well the hell with it - go here and advertise

tips@cnn.com

I’m doing it

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Annoying

This was happening on the Netflix app, on my TCL Roku TV, while watching Stranger Things. 

It's not a result of 14.6. Must be the weather causing it. Try opening a few windows and flapping your arms.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I feel for the poor moderators having to sift through all of this. So how about instead of them having to dig, sort and move the information on, they get #PatrickSpence in here to explain. What the hell is going on? His sitting high on the hog either the money from these sold devices. The silence is alarming. If you are a moderator, do yourself and us a favor...let them know you are tired of having to ignore this issue and force someone with some control to come on here and face the music for this mess.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

HELLO!?!?!? I am going to need someone from Sonos to acknowledge their update has broken our devices!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

HELLO!?!?!? I am going to need someone from Sonos to acknowledge their update has broken our devices!

Sarcasm - took me a minute.

I just messaged tips@cnn.com with this…

Just wanted to get this out there - Sonos Arc and surrounds and subs are having major issues which are being ignored. It’s been a couple of months now and not resolved. Tech support is not helping, and in fact deny there is a problem (see below). 

Seeing as you, CNN, promote this as a great soundbar system, with wireless surrounds, etc., you might what to inquire as to why out stuff is broken. Spent a lot of $$$ on this stuff.

In the big scheme of things, this is not a huge issue, but is it is annoying to be ignored especially when you spent a few grand for a system that worked fine until the 14.6 update.

Please put this out there so Sonos knows it’s not a joke.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lost-surround-and-sub-after-update-6868561

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ubqrdr/ever_since_146/

https://piunikaweb.com/2022/05/03/sonos-speakers-subwoofers-cutting-out-or-stuttering-after-14-6-update/

I wanted to email Jacob Krol but I guess he isn’t there anymore.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/best-soundbar

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I feel for the poor moderators having to sift through all of this. So how about instead of them having to dig, sort and move the information on, they get #PatrickSpence in here to explain. What the hell is going on? His sitting high on the hog either the money from these sold devices. The silence is alarming. If you are a moderator, do yourself and us a favor...let them know you are tired of having to ignore this issue and force someone with some control to come on here and face the music for this mess.

I think they calculated how much the returns would cost to projected sales of the new system rollout and #patrickspence said, oh well, too bad for them. We stand to make x even if we loose Y in repeat customers. Tell me I'm wrong.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I think they calculated how much the returns would cost to projected sales of the new system rollout and #patrickspence said, oh well, too bad for them. We stand to make x even if we loose Y in repeat customers. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sounds accurate. Guy needs his fifth swimming pool.