Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It is absolutely ridiculous that this has gone on as long as it has with no public acknowledgment from Sonos. How much longer is this gonna persist? A week? A month? A year? So disappointing. 

I think the lack of acknowledgement is really worrying. It a customer service thing at the heart of it as well. Are we all just going mad and the problem is really do do with out own setup?!?

Seems to be a growing issue in the web as well - but some reports are saying its going to get fixed.

https://www.sanechoice.cloud/sonos-when-customer-service-goes-wrong/

https://thenextweb.com/news/sonos-fix-stuttering-surround-sound-14-6-software-update

We’re gonna have to go to the press to raise awareness of this issue and the lack of acknowledgement and customer support.  They are trying to launch several new products right now, we should make sure potential customers are aware of what they are getting in to.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have 2 arc systems but have only experienced this issue on the one in the living room which is really curious 

Interesting, @peterbault are you willing to share what source devices you have connected to the problem and good systems respectively?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have 2 systems, an Arc and a Beam; The Beam doesn’t have any issues I’ve noticed (although I use it less and in the bedroom).  Both are 5.1, although the Arc has 2 subs.  The Arc has the issue and also runs SonosNet to everything else, including the Beam 5.1 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I have 2 arc systems but have only experienced this issue on the one in the living room which is really curious 

Interesting, @peterbault are you willing to share what source devices you have connected to the problem and good systems respectively?

System 1 Does experience the issue:

Sony A9G OLED

Apple TV used exclusively for all content

Arc + 2 subs (gen 2 and gen 3) + 2 Play:1’s

System 2 Does not experience the issue:

LG CX OLED

PS5

Xbox Series X

Nintendo Switch

Occasional use of native TV apps

Arc + gen 2 sub + 2 Play:1s

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Don't know if this helps anyone else but I had this issue a week or so ago I didn't power cycle the arc at first but removed and readded the sub and surrounds this worked but read this thread and power cycled the arc

The fault reoccured when I did this I then just removed and readded just the sub and the surrounds returned without any problems.

It was done before the latest update and I have had no further occurance since doing this 

I use apple tv, pc and xbox and watch mainly content bought from apple and prime on the apple tv

May work for others may not just thought I would share it

This is really, really odd.

Before I start, I know this is very not likely ‘the fix’ but it is a change in behaviour I want to report. 

My cut rears/sub ‘disconnects’ have been pretty consistent an easy to replicate. i.e. I can reboot the Arc and all speakers, watch a Disney film and then move to Netflix and bingo, the rears and sub sound stops or has some delay/crackling issue.

I followed @skullc process above, and since doing that I have flicked between Netflix, AppleTV, Disney and Amazon prime and the rears and subs are all working as it was before 14.6 update. After going through multiple films/TV with multiple sound sources (Stereo, DD, Atmos) I have been unable to replicate the issue.  At least not as quickly as it was replicated before during my previous testing. 

I am fully expecting this to come back- but the above seems to have had an impact. How long it will last is anyones guess. 

Perhaps someone else who has the problem consistently can try the remove and re-add procedure to see if more stability to the sound is returned? (For reference, I am on 14.6.1).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Don't know if this helps anyone else but I had this issue a week or so ago I didn't power cycle the arc at first but removed and readded the sub and surrounds this worked but read this thread and power cycled the arc

The fault reoccured when I did this I then just removed and readded just the sub and the surrounds returned without any problems.

It was done before the latest update and I have had no further occurance since doing this 

I use apple tv, pc and xbox and watch mainly content bought from apple and prime on the apple tv

Before I start, I know this is very not likely ‘the fix’ but it is a change in behaviour I want to report. 

My cut rears/sub ‘disconnects’ have been pretty consistent an easy to replicate. i.e. I can reboot the Arc and all speakers, watch a Disney film and then move to Netflix and bingo, the rears and sub sound stops or has some delay/crackling issue.

I followed @skullc process above, and since doing that I have flicked between Netflix, AppleTV, Disney and Amazon prime and the rears and subs are all working as it was before 14.6 update. After going through multiple films/TV with multiple sound sources (Stereo, DD, Atmos) I have been unable to replicate the issue.  At least not as quickly as it was replicated before during my previous testing. 

I am fully expecting this to come back- but the above seems to have had an impact. How long it will last is anyones guess. 

Perhaps someone else who has the problem consistently can try the remove and re-add procedure to see if more stability to the sound is returned? (For reference, I am on 14.6.1).

If doing this, do you need to redo TruPlay?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yes, you do need to redo trueplay. 

However, the issue has come back after I performed TruPlay! So the issue has occurred again.  :-(

I am now going to do the same procedure and NOT tune using TruPlay to see if that is part of the puzzle. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I followed @skullc process above, and since doing that I have flicked between Netflix, AppleTV, Disney and Amazon prime and the rears and subs are all working as it was before 14.6 update. After going through multiple films/TV with multiple sound sources (Stereo, DD, Atmos) I have been unable to replicate the issue.  At least not as quickly as it was replicated before during my previous testing. 

May I ask what you did exactly? Was it just removing and adding the sub? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

is it possible the issue has something to do with true play? Hmmm 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@skullc - did you perform TryPlay tuning after you went through your procedure? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

is it possible the issue has something to do with true play? Hmmm 

I don't know, but I am going to try and find out!  Speakers removed and added again, all sound is back.  Now I am going to play around for several hours to see if the sounds is more stable. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes both times 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m going to turn off trueplay for awhile and see how it goes 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yes both times 

Nuts!  So that has blown that theory out of the window! I will still continue to the breaking point anyway. Will report back. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter the second time I just removed the sub the surrounds came back by themselves 

I also had the issue with my pair of 5’s + sub did the same fix and they are working ok now as well 

Sonos app says there’s an update for my system. Fingers crossed this fixes it!

Edit: now on build 68228280. Can’t remember if this is different though. 

Edit 2: Now on 14.6.2

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sonos app says there’s an update for my system. Fingers crossed this fixes it!

Edit: now on build 68228280. Can’t remember if this is different though. 

If its 14.6.1, then the problem still seems to persist for me.  (Currently testing without TruPlay).

14.6.2 now for me. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Well it’s not true play. Immediately got the issue to happen. New diagnostic: 1767175008

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

14.6.2 now for me. 

This was released yesterday. Doesn’t fix it 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter i don't normally do this but as a test flipped between content listed below 

Apple music, dolby atmos,dolby 5.1 YouTube stereo pcm back to atmos and 5.1

No problem occured doing this 

14.6.2 now for me. 

This was released yesterday. Doesn’t fix it 

Darn it, Sonos!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Well it’s not true play. Immediately got the issue to happen. New diagnostic: 1767175008

This is madness,  So far (after removing and re-adding subs/surrounds and NOT performing TruPlay) I cannot get the system sound to fail.  I have gone through the same routine and all sources are  producing surround sound.  Obviously, I need to play with the system into the night and report back and send (yet) another diagnostic to Sonos. 

This is really, really baffling. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter i don't normally do this but as a test flipped between content listed below 

Apple music, dolby atmos,dolby 5.1 YouTube stereo pcm back to atmos and 5.1

No problem occured doing this 

Yep - will try this to break during latest testing approach. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m tired of testing Sonos’ products for them. Just going to leave it on my workaround of eArc off on my tv and change format DD5.1 on Apple TV. I never experience the issue with these settings