Answered

Loss of Surround Sound

• 23 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi Guys and Gals. 

Since last night I have lost my surround sound capability. Was working perfectly fine. Came through about 2am and notice one of them pulsing white light. 

Looked on the app this morning and found this on the app. 

So with this I deleted them off the system and had to reset to factory settings to see them again of the system. Connected them up again, worked fine individually. But as soon as you connect them to surroundsound and error occurs halfway through the set up and knocks out the two speakers. Thus having to reset them to factory settings again I’ll start the whole process again. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 May 2021, 23:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried rebooting your router? Can you directly connect the Beam to the router with an ethernet cable? What router are you using?

Hi There. Yeah tried rebooting the router. Was working fine but today decided otherwise. 

I haven’t plug it into the router yet but would it be worth a try. 

Those question marks are an indicator that the surround speakers are either not connecting properly to your Beam on the 5Ghz channel they use, or your router isn’t properly handing out IP addresses to them through your Beam.

I’d be looking pretty strongly at several possible issues.

1. Make sure the WiFi / radio hasn’t been turned off on the Beam. It needs to be on in order for the surrounds to connect to it. Some folks assume that if they’ve wired the Beam (or Arc), they can turn off the radio, but you shouldn’t if you’re using surround speakers. 
  2. Look for potential sources of WiFi interference somewhere near the Beam, or the surrounds. As explained in the wifi interference FAQ, this doesn’t have to be necessarily in the 5Ghz range, but that is the frequency being used by the surrounds to connect to the Beam. They do not connect to your router’s signal. 
  3. Check for the remote possibility of duplicate IP addresses. This is pretty rare, but can occasionally happen based on the quality of the router’s firmware. Try unplugging the Beam and the surround speakers, and while they’re unplugged, reboot the router. Once the router comes back up, plug the Beam back in first, followed by the surrounds.

It might help troubleshooting if you’d let us know what router you’re using. I suspect both GuitarSuperstar and I are both trying to build a mental image of your whole system, to probe various potential issues, and so far, all we really know is you have a Beam, some sort of Sonos surround speakers of undefined type, and an iOS controller. 

Hi Guys and Gals. 

Since last night I have lost my surround sound capability. Was working perfectly fine. Came through about 2am and notice one of them pulsing white light. 

Looked on the app this morning and found this on the app. 

So with this I deleted them off the system and had to reset to factory settings to see them again of the system. Connected them up again, worked fine individually. But as soon as you connect them to surroundsound and error occurs halfway through the set up and knocks out the two speakers. Thus having to reset them to factory settings again I’ll start the whole process again. 

Did your system start working right? I’m having the exact same problem with my ARC. My sub is connected, bat am unable to connect surrounds.