Answered

Long Distance Connection From Amp to Outdoor TV

• 11 October 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a tv mounted outside w/ two outdoor sonos/sonace speakers mounted on either side. I ran two speaker wires & two Cat6 wires in buried pipe from my basement 100 feet to my garage & then out to the tv/speakers. My modem & Amp are located in my basement.

• tv connected via one of the Cat6 cables to my modem
  • speakers connected to new Sonos Amp in my basement
  • one Cat6 cable currently not being used

I purposely did not run an HDMI cord from the basement to the tv as I was told it was too long of a run. Is there anyway to connect the amp (& ultimately speakers) to the tv using the one existing Cat6 cable?

My garage is not insulated so I do not want to keep my amp in there - winter in Minnesota would kill it - not worried about the tv. 

The amp is connected to my system currently & the speakers work great for music, etc., just not sure how to get tv audio through outdoor speakers at such a distance. I’ve read suggestions about adding an beam to the TV or another speaker, but again, too cold for any Indoor Sonos products to work outside year around.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 October 2021, 19:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

You would need to use a pair of device that can transmit the audio over cat 6, then receive it on the other end for the Amp to consume.

Here’s one type of device.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-2-0-Extender-60Hz-Bi-Directional/dp/B07WC8BQPW

This will take in an HDMI-ARC signal and outputs HDMI-ARC for the Amp. Looks like you also have the option to use an optical output from the TV (if your TV has that) and get optical on the Amp side.  Sonos sells a dongle that converts optical to an HDMI-ARC signal it can use.  Should work fine either way, but I can’t recommend any specific brand personally.

This device below is much cheaper and optical only.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Converter-JTECH-AET1000/dp/B07G5NQCK7

Optical alone is probably plenty good enough for your application.  The only caution I would have about that is if you think you’ll be replacing TVs fairly frequently, and newer TVs might not have an optical output.