Answered

Logitech Harmony Volume Control in an Activity

• 20 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I have a setup called “Cinema” which consists of an Arc, Sub and 2x Play 1s.

My Logitech Harmony picks this up on the network as a device, and it’s able to control the volume on it when I go into this device.

However when I create an Activity (and include “Cinema” as one of the devices, along with the projector and, say, my Apple TV) I’m unable to adjust the volume in this Activity.

My Arc is connected via Optical due to lack of ARC on my projector, so that’s not an option for control.

I mainly use the Harmony iPhone app to control. On this, the volume buttons are greyed out.

On the Harmony Remote, you’re able to specify what you want the hard volume buttons to do, and on this I can successfully map them to Sonos “Cinema” and get the desired effect.

Any tips on how to fix the iPhone App issue? It might be relevant to know that I’m on Mac OSX Catalina, and the Harmony software is incompatible with this (!). I have no other computers to install the desktop software on, so I’m stuck using the iPhone app to configure.

icon

Best answer by tomwhitaker 28 June 2020, 13:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +2

I’ve found this page and it looks like the solution is going to be to get the desktop app, and add the soundbar as an Amp.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2011?language=en_US

However I note this on the page…

Note: If you are using the Harmony Ultimate remote with the hub, you will need to tell the Harmony remote to send the commands to Sonos via Remote instead of the Harmony Hub. You can set this by going to Remote and Hub Assignments screen.

Does anyone know why I can’t send controls from the Hub to the Sonos? I’ll lose the ability to use the iPhone App to control the Arc in this case.

Badge +2

I think I’ve worked this out. I need to add a generic TV or Amp to my Harmony, then teach the Arc to learn that device’s volume commands...

I have not yet ARC as my one is in delay.
But I will have your same issue and I thought to solve in the way @tomwhitaker is suggesting.
Please let us know if it will work!

Badge +2

I seem to have this working, using the App or Ultimate remote, or Alexa, all via the Hub. And I was able to set it up using the iOS app. Hooray!

Make sure your remote is up to date, that all your Sonos speakers have been discovered, then in the app choose the following settings.

1. Harmony Setup
  2. Add/Edit Devices & Activities
  3. Activities
  4. Add Activity
  5. Add your own Activity (choose name and icon)
  6. Tick all applicable devices. I have multiple Sonos speakers, so for me there was an arrow to the right of Sonos. Tap this and make sure the Arc is selected (it will show the room/speaker name, not “Arc”)

I’m not sure why this worked today and didn’t earlier in the week. All I can think of is that I removed and re-added my Sonos speakers. Perhaps Logitech still thought my old Play 5 (which had the same name as my new Arc, “Cinema”) was still around and was trying to control that. So if you have problems, delete and re-discover all your Sonos kit in the Logitech software.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @tomwhitaker.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

It seems that everything is all good now. Thank you for sharing the issue and for sharing what was the solution to the issue.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have any other issues or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,