List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 2
As I said earlier in the thread, I can confirm that after the most recent firmware update my Samsung PN60F8500AF now fully supports passing 5.1 from an HDMI source through to the Playbar. When I first bought this TV it would not pass 5.1 from any HDMI source but now it all works great without the need for an HDMI switch, etc.

I have the F8000. I did all the firmware updates last night. The Dolby Digital option in the sound settings is STILL GREYED OUT. How did you confirm the upgrade worked?
Userlevel 2
Monday I bought a Samsung LED F8500 (55"), I can confirm that when using an optical cable the TV is passing trough 5.1 dd.

That was one reason for not buying a Sonos Playbar, but that doesn't seems to be an issue anymore.

I have the 65" version of the F8000. The sound settings on the TV sound menu has the Dolby Digital still Greyed Out, after I was told no more updates are available. How did you confirm with this firmware update that you are getting 5.1 output?
Userlevel 2
I have the F8000. I did all the firmware updates last night. The Dolby Digital option in the sound settings is STILL GREYED OUT. How did you confirm the upgrade worked?

Are your tv speakers set to OFF?
Userlevel 2
Are your tv speakers set to OFF?

Yes. I've tried both ways -- off and on. Still greyed out. Updated the firmware (I think to 1117 or something like that) last night.
Userlevel 2
Can anyone tell me how to get Samsung 65" F8000 to output Dolby Digital to Playbar? I'm frustrated that Sonos doesn't have more information on this issue. I mean, if you market this system as a surround sound (with playbar, sub, and play:1s), then Sonos should be telling it's customers WHICH TV's have full dolby digital out through the optical. It should not be buried in some forum like this, where there are some saying it works, other saying it doesn't.
Badge
I had a similar issue after I updated the firmware until I verified that my cable box and apple TV were actually set to output DD over HDMI. Once they were set correctly (can be tricky based on different devices) my TV let me enable Dolby Digital, it was no longer greyed out. In contrast, my Xbox One has a known limitation where DD is not output via HDMI and the option is still greyed out on the TV.

I am able to confirm that my Playbar is seeing a 5.1 DD signal for cable and apple TV by looking at the about screen which lists each device and the input signal. 5.1 for cable/apple tv when the source supports it and stereo for Xbox One.
Userlevel 2
I had a similar issue after I updated the firmware until I verified that my cable box and apple TV were actually set to output DD over HDMI. Once they were set correctly (can be tricky based on different devices) my TV let me enable Dolby Digital, it was no longer greyed out. In contrast, my Xbox One has a known limitation where DD is not output via HDMI and the option is still greyed out on the TV.

I am able to confirm that my Playbar is seeing a 5.1 DD signal for cable and apple TV by looking at the about screen which lists each device and the input signal. 5.1 for cable/apple tv when the source supports it and stereo for Xbox One.

Thank you for your reply. I have checked my cable box's settings. It is supposed to be outputting 5.1 DD. In fact, when I plug the optical out directly into the box, I get 5.1 DD. But when I go through the tv to Sonos playbar, it says stereo (in the about screen). So it seems my Samsung is dumming the signal down to Stereo even though the cable box is giving it 5.1 DD.
Userlevel 2
Thank you for contacting Samsung.

I understand that you are enquiring about Dolby digital output from Samsung TV: UN65ES8000F to Sonos Playbar with Cox Cable box running HDMI to Samsung TV.

I would be happy to assist you with that.

TV allows your to select the Audio format that you would like to output the sound from the TV i.e. PCM or Dolby Digital. However, there are restrictions when the Dolby digital signal is allowed to be selected. Dolby digital will be available only when

1. TV is receiving the ATSC or QAM from Antenna or direct cable from wall, that is carrying the Dolby digital track.

2. When the TV is using streaming service like Amazon, Hulu etc that has a Dolby digital track.

In the above cases, you will be able to select the Dolby digital track for audio out from the TV. Dolby digital won't be available when you connect any external input device like Cable box, DVD using an HDMI cable.

Even though HDMI is capable of carrying a 5.1 audio signal because of HDCP (High Density-Bandwidth Content Protection) the TV cannot bypass decoded 5.1 audio content from the HDMI input to the optical output. Because of this Dolby digital output is not available with the HDMI input. It is common for all Samsung TVs.

You can refer more information from the below link :

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?modelname=UN46C8000XF&idx=347142&modelcode=&

If you have anymore questions related to Samsung devices, feel free to contact us. We are available 24 X 7 to assist you.

For Immediate assistance with a live agent,
you can chat with us
here

Samsung’s Social Media Team is available to assist with providing up-to-date information or answering
questions 9AM to 10PM EST (Mon – Fri).
Visit us on Facebook
Visit us on Twitter
For support by phone, you can reach us at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
SamsungOnline Support

Kind regards,

Matthew
Email Support
SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre

FOLKS -- this is a $3600 tv. It should not have this issue. Period. I'm taking mine back.
Userlevel 2
I did the lg service menu hack to enable ac3 and sonos is confirming that it is receiving 5.1 but the sound doesn't sound any different. I don't hear any separation of either the LCR channels or the rear effects.

Any suggestions?
Userlevel 2
I was pacing nervously as the Play:1 surrounds were great with music but silent while watching TV.

This was a Samsung TV belonging to someone else and I did not grab the model number... it was new within the last year or so.

Went into the AT&T cable box menu and enabled Dolby Digital (was off). No help, even though the Samsung sound menu indicated it would pass DD. On a whim I flippet back to the Samsung audio menu, turned it off (stereo) and then back on. Surround appeared miraculously in the Play:1s.

The off and back on sequence must have acted as a virtual reboot of sorts...

I confirmed the Sonos controller Settings:About indicated the PlayBar was receiving a stereo input before and a surround input afterwards.
I have a Samsung UE40F8000. As I think has been said above, the dolby digital output is greyed out unless the TV is receiving a signal in a suitable format that can be output as dolby digital.

This seems a little bit mad to a Luddite like me, since AFAIK you have to know that something is capable of supporting dolby digital before you can go into the sound menu to enable it.

What I don't know (yet) is whether the Samsung TV remembers your choices or not, or whether you have to go through the whole process each time you might want to watch something with an enhanced soundtrack.

T
Userlevel 2
No, you don't. It automatically chooses, for me, the Dolby Digital. I know this because even though the HDMI passthrough doesn't work, the Netflix and Amazon Prime has Dolby Digital output and the Samsung automatically chooses DD 5.1.

STUPID that it doesn't passthrough HDMI. Too expensive of a TV not to.
Userlevel 2
I was pacing nervously as the Play:1 surrounds were great with music but silent while watching TV.

This was a Samsung TV belonging to someone else and I did not grab the model number... it was new within the last year or so.

Went into the AT&T cable box menu and enabled Dolby Digital (was off). No help, even though the Samsung sound menu indicated it would pass DD. On a whim I flippet back to the Samsung audio menu, turned it off (stereo) and then back on. Surround appeared miraculously in the Play:1s.

The off and back on sequence must have acted as a virtual reboot of sorts...

I confirmed the Sonos controller Settings:About indicated the PlayBar was receiving a stereo input before and a surround input afterwards.

Was the AT&T Box connected to the Samsung via HDMI? Because Samsung says it's not possible to pass it through HDMI from a cable box. Strange. And the very reason it's frustrating, since for some it's working, others not. It shouldn't be this difficult with a high end TV.
Userlevel 2
My LG 60PM670S works fine with X-Box , Sky Box or whatever over HDMI to Optical Out DD 5.1

😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yes I have solved my 5.1 problem thanx for the information on this great forum.
Badge
Clearly a switcher is a solution if all your devices that are attached to you TV via HDMI can now output DD 5.1. It might not be the ideal way for such an expensive piece of kit, but you get to hear soundtracks in true DD5.1. Also with the Samsung Bluray player all DTS Blurays get converted to DD5.1 hence all bases are covered.

"Clearly", a switcher is a solution for YOU. For most others, (and hence the whole point of this thread) paying a lot of money for Sonos' simplicity and elegance - having to spend even more money on an ugly and cumbersome switch, is NOT a solution.
Userlevel 2
"Clearly", a switcher is a solution for YOU. For most others, (and hence the whole point of this thread) paying a lot of money for Sonos' simplicity and elegance - having to spend even more money on an ugly and cumbersome switch, is NOT a solution.

Well Oleros, if it's NOT a solution then use another less expensive system, with greater simplicity and elegance than Sonos.....good luck in your quest for surround sound.
* Please note that my switcher is not ugly or cumbersome, in fact it is a thing of beauty, with the little blue light illuminating the TV stand like a beacon of hope for 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound
Userlevel 2
As I said earlier in the thread, I can confirm that after the most recent firmware update my Samsung PN60F8500AF now fully supports passing 5.1 from an HDMI source through to the Playbar. When I first bought this TV it would not pass 5.1 from any HDMI source but now it all works great without the need for an HDMI switch, etc.

Hi JJonesx86,

Thanks for confirming that it does actually work. The latest firmware update (in fact the only one on the samsung website) states that the update occured after your post (and does not mention 5.1 SS).

Has you seen any info on the web detailing the latest update and stating that 5.1 will pass through?

Also, I assume this is the case, but you are using the sonos sound bar, the sub, and two other speakers?

Thanks for your help. I was looking to get the TV earlier in the year, and this issue held me up then, maybe it is resolved now!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Does anyone know if Samsung UN60EH6000 is a supported tv that would work with the playbar for 5.1 DD through optical? It is a 60inch LCD about 1 year old and not a smart TV.
Userlevel 2
I have a Samsung PN60F8500 plasma, and the Dolby option is grayed out. I updated the firmware to v. 1119.1.

I am running HDMI (from a TiVo) to the 8500, then optical out to the Playbar. According to the Sonos About menu, it is coming in as Stereo.

I know Tivo is sending Dolby, but the Samsung is not recognizing it. I by-passed the Samsung and connected the TiVo audio directly to the Playbar, and it is 5:1 using that set up.

Samsung support said 5:1 is NOT supported coming from any DVR. But, people on this thread have been able to get this to work. What am I missing?
Thank you.
Userlevel 2
jjones - are you 100% sure it's passing through via HDMI? I have the same set, running firmware v. 1119.1, and am not getting 5:1.
Userlevel 2
Did it work to pass DD 5.1 from your Apple TV to the Playbar?

I have the Samsung UN60F7100.

Just spent about an hour on the phone trying to get to a higher up Samsung support person. 1st person knew little so they connected me to the "2nd tier support".

They gauranteed me that the TV Optical out supports DD 5.1 pass thru over HDMI.

They said as long as your cable box (Tivo Premiere) is putting out DD 5.1 through HDMI to the TV then it will send out DD 5.1 through the optical out.

They said I should also have software version 11.18.0 on my TV. But they didn't know if this feature was new to the software or had always existed.

Unforuntately, I just ordered my Playbar & Sub so I can't test right now.

My Setup is Apple TV (newest), RCN Tivo Premiere cable box, and a PS4 all with the newest standard HDMI's into the TV with an optical out to the Playbar.

Let's hope it works. I'm a little bit of a newb but I'm thinking even if I only have a Playbar and a sub it should show DD 5.1. I dont need the two rear speakers for it to show 5.1 right?
Userlevel 2
Except for the TVs listed somewhere on the Sonos site, 5.1 audio will not pass through via HDMI to the Playbar. This is not a limitation by Sonos, but by TV manufacturers. Sony TVs, for example, allow this; Samsung does not. However, they (Samsung) may have a firmware upgrade coming in a few months that could open this up.

I have no inside information, and have no idea if the firmware update will address this. What I am sure of is that my Samsung TV, with the most recent firmware, does not passthrough 5.1 audio.
Except for the TVs listed somewhere on the Sonos site, 5.1 audio will not pass through via HDMI to the Playbar.

What I am sure of is that my Samsung TV, with the most recent firmware, does not passthrough 5.1 audio.

You refer to pass through of 5.1 through HDMI to the Playbar. I'm not sure this is correct, as I don't believe that there is an HDMI input on the Playbar

FWIW, my Samsung UE40F8000 has begun to pass through 5.1 through the optical cable to the Playbar following a recent firmware update in the last few months.

T
Userlevel 2
Dr. Tchok - sorry I was not more clear, and you are correct. I should have said HDMI input to TV, then optical out from the TV to the Playbar.

I use that configuration, and do not get 5.1 audio to the Playbar. I have bypassed the TV, and fed the audio directly to the Playbar, and have confirmed that the audio coming from the DVR (TiVo) is, indeed, 5.1. So, it is the TV that is down-converting to 2.1.

What Samsung Firmware does your TV have? I upgraded the Firmware version on mine about 3 weeks ago (when I got the TV), and am running ver. 1119. 1 (?).

It's going to be a simple fix to get true 5.1 - I will add either a switcher or Oppo 103. Or wait to see what Samsung does in the coming months.