List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

My Sharp 70" Aquos LC-70LE732U works flawlessly. The remote for my Bell satellite receiver synced automatically and the volume button controls the PlayBar sound level like it should. The best part of the whole set up is the great sound from the PlayBar. One of the best purchases that I have ever made.

I have the same TV, I am only getting simulated surround PCM right now. How did you turn it on for the full 5.1?
Userlevel 2
Hi, im in a similar position in so much as i transfer over a single HDMI various sources from one room to another - the TV in my bedroom where I want the playbar is a toshiba RL853b - will that send 5.1 from the HDMI source to the optical output?

Have emailed Toshiba but had nothing back in their quoed 2 day turn around time.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
I have the same TV, I am only getting simulated surround PCM right now. How did you turn it on for the full 5.1?

I am very happy with the PCM sound right now so I didn't do anything except hook up the digital cable. When someone comes up with a better idea I might try it but for now the sound I am getting from the PlayBar is much improved over my old soundbar.
I am very happy with the PCM sound right now so I didn't do anything except hook up the digital cable. When someone comes up with a better idea I might try it but for now the sound I am getting from the PlayBar is much improved over my old soundbar.

Ok, It was just confusing as this thread is for TV's that pass full 5.1, most all tv's push PCM. I got my hopes up that my sharp would, but nope.
Just spent some $. ADDING to the Playbar and sub...
Bought 2 play 3's, play 5, 60" samsung 7500 smart tv.
And guess what? Samsung disables DD 5.1 to optical when input is HDMI. Can you believe that? Yep, Im pretty pissed. SO scratch Samsung from this list. PCM only... Which sounds like a cheap stereo system playing thru the Sonos...
Userlevel 2
Just spent some $. ADDING to the Playbar and sub...
Bought 2 play 3's, play 5, 60" samsung 7500 smart tv.
And guess what? Samsung disables DD 5.1 to optical when input is HDMI. Can you believe that? Yep, Im pretty pissed. SO scratch Samsung from this list. PCM only... Which sounds like a cheap stereo system playing thru the Sonos...

Bypass the tv altogether. I just bought an optical switch to get around my Samsung TV. I am happy, happy, happy.
Userlevel 1
Here's a $250 switcher that might work. The company specifically advertised it as a strong possibility for use with a Playbar, however they didn't explicitly mention testing it. I feel pretty ridiculous needing to pay $250 for an add-on to a $500 HDTV, when the HDTV manufacturer probably saved $10 by cheaping out on 2.1 over optical output, and the workaround involves me spending 50% of the cost of the TV on an external device that makes life significantly more complicated due to needing to work the switch to change sources when it could be done within the TV itself. Although since it's seemingly impossible to know what TVs support 5.1 over optical, this might be the only way.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html
Userlevel 2
Badge
Vizio XVT553SV (55", from 2010) passes Dolby Digital 5.1 to PlayBar.

Hope this helps someone!
Badge
Here's a $250 switcher that might work. The company specifically advertised it as a strong possibility for use with a Playbar, however they didn't explicitly mention testing it. I feel pretty ridiculous needing to pay $250 for an add-on to a $500 HDTV, when the HDTV manufacturer probably saved $10 by cheaping out on 2.1 over optical output, and the workaround involves me spending 50% of the cost of the TV on an external device that makes life significantly more complicated due to needing to work the switch to change sources when it could be done within the TV itself. Although since it's seemingly impossible to know what TVs support 5.1 over optical, this might be the only way.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

I have that exact switcher because my current TV doesn't pass any sound from an HDMI source through optical out. It is working reliably and was easy to get working with my harmony remote. My only issue with it is that when I switch inputs it goes through this routine of displaying a full green screen, then some fuzz, then black screen and after about 5 seconds or so the real image is displayed. I find this annoying and just wish it would switch faster or even just display a blank screen until it was ready. This even happens when switching between HD and non-HD channels on the same source sometimes. Annoying. I really just want to find a damn TV that will handle the HDMI switching and output 5.1 but that is proving difficult.
Userlevel 1
I really just want to find a damn TV that will handle the HDMI switching and output 5.1 but that is proving difficult.

I'm still trying to figure out what Sonos was thinking with the Playbar design, since it's so difficult to find a TV that actually outputs 5.1 over optical. I started a whole thread on that so I won't rehash again here, but I'm stumped what they expected us to do. Did they expect us to all get HDMI switchers or optical routers? Did they expect us to figure out what TVs can do this seemingly impossible task?
UPDATE

After buying all this stuff, I went back to Magnolia (best Buy) and told them of my frustration. They tried to help me find a switch, but the only ones they found, they didnt sell. So they gave me an option... They would buy me a switch from monoprice, OR give me their Oppo 103 Blu-ray player for half off. I figured a switch for $100-$250 or one of the baddest bluray players on the market for the same price.
Yea, long story short, the Oppo streams everything directv can throw at it while upconverting the video to 1080p.
WOW. The Sonos sounds AMAZING!!!
I couldnt be happier! I didnt realize what watching tv was until now.
Userlevel 2
I can confirm that the Sony KDL-37W5500 passes Dolby 5.1 to the Playbar. So, if you have one of these you should be fine!

(I have the Playbar, sub, and 2 rear S3s....sounds great, both for TV and music!)
Badge
hi --

Does anyone know if a Sony Bravia KDL46EX500 will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to PlayBar? (couln't find the information on Sony's website nor on the TV manual)

-cheers-
Userlevel 2
Has anyone confirmed any plasma TVs that pass 5.1 through hdmi inputs to their TV? I am looking at upgrading my TV and would prefer plasma over LED.

I currently have a Samsung PN51E7000 that does not pass DirecTV/DVD/Bluray HDMI as 5.1. It only passes 5.1 from Samsung Allshare and Netflix (those are the only streaming services I tested). I did not test OTA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Does anyone know if a Sony Bravia KDL46EX500 will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to PlayBar? (couln't find the information on Sony's website nor on the TV manual)
Same question but for the Sony Bravia KDL-40ZX1 Anyone know the answer on this one??
Badge
Unfortunately I can confirm that the Panasonic VT50 series plasma and the new Samsung 8500 series plasma do not pass 5.1 through optical out from an HDMI input. A very nice salesman spent quite a bit of time setting them up in the store to verify and unless there is a very well hidden setting to enable this it just doesn't work. I still want one of these TVs, the only question I have to answer for myself is whether the complexity of a HDMI/Optical switch is worth it.

I tested a few movies, switching between 5.1 and 2ch output from my Apple TV and while the difference was noticeable I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. In fact, if I had only heard the Sonos setup with the 2ch input I would have loved it. Knowing that something a little better is possible sucks...I wish I could un-learn that fact 🙂 In the end I think I'll wire for 2ch input and skip the switch but will plan ahead in case I want to go a different direction later.
jjonesx86,

It would be useful if you gave the complete model numbers. For example each SAMSUNG model year for the past several years has had an "8500" model, but the feature list is different for each year. For example the newest model would be PNnnF8500 (nn is the size), but there might be a few "E" series units in distribution.

And, unfortunately, any of the TV's can tinker with the feature list with firmware updates.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My 2011 Sony XBR 55HX929 is able to output DD 5.1 using the digital output. If I don't turn off the internal speakers of the TV it will only be stereo sound. As soon as I turn off the Sony internal TV speakers my receiver indicator switch to DD. The receiver does have a display that will tell.

I did the test because I am planning to get a Sonos Playbar plus the Sub next week.

The only problem is the annoying message I get on the TV stating that the TV volume is fixed. Will take care of that when the time comes. I already read here the solution for that.
Badge
Hi TrevorFL --

Did you have to turn off the Sony internal TV speakers from the TV set-up menu? And could you give the link where to find the instructions on how to turn off the message stating that the TV volume is fixed?

Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi TrevorFL --

Did you have to turn off the Sony internal TV speakers from the TV set-up menu? And could you give the link where to find the instructions on how to turn off the message stating that the TV volume is fixed?

Thanks!

Hello WifiStrut.

Yes, I did turn off the Sony internal speakers from the TV set-up menu. Otherwise the sound coming out thru the optical will be stereo only.

Immediately after I turn the internal speakers off, the TV automatically start sending DD audio signal out. No DTS, only DD. But once I do this I start getting the annoying message from the TV every time I change the volume. "TV volume is fixed".

I don't know if there is a way for the TV to turn off the "volume is fixed" withing the TV itself. I did play with almost all the settings and was unable to find it.

What I mentioned in my previous post is that someone suggested at the begining of this topic to use a different brand of remote control other than Sony or something like it. I will need to go back and read again that particular post once I get my Sonos playbar.

Hope I was able to help you. Have a good day.
Badge
jjonesx86,

It would be useful if you gave the complete model numbers. For example each SAMSUNG model year for the past several years has had an "8500" model, but the feature list is different for each year. For example the newest model would be PNnnF8500 (nn is the size), but there might be a few "E" series units in distribution.

And, unfortunately, any of the TV's can tinker with the feature list with firmware updates.

These are the models of Samsung plasmas that we tested - PN64F8500, PN60F8500 and PN51F8500.
jjonesx86,

Thanks for the clarification as this will help others.
Userlevel 2
Anyone have experience with LG TV's other than the 55LX9500 listed on the first page of this thread?

I'm buying my new TV and the playbar at the same time so I have flexibility.

I'm specifically considering 47LM7600 (2012) or 47LA7400 (2013). The best text I can find in their manual is, "Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may block digital audio output."

thanks in advance!
Samsung 50C6970 passes 5.1 through optical output, tested with playstation3.

may i use this thread to point to an (from my view) extremely important issue/ ask entry
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/switch_play_3s_between_surround_for_tv_and_stereo_pair_for_music

that pairing/unpairing pain needs to be fixed - adding play3s & a sub to the playbar for a tv show / dvd by pressing buttons each time is a show-stopper for me, as the same happens while unpairing them to get the play3s and the sub back for music listing ( i know pairing the sub with the playbar and then grouping the play3s for music listing could be a work around, but only for music sessions.....)
I have a brand new Samsung 60" 7500 series and it DOES NOT pass thru 5.1 from a directv input. The 7500 is an upper scale tv so I dont know how a lesser value TV will pass thru when their better TV's dont.