List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

I have been a Sonos user and fan for over 12 years. In the beginning they were cutting edge in digital music. But it appears they have created a compatibility mess for those of us that like sonos but have to jump through tech hoops to find work around if we want our surround sound and sonos to work together. Other (less expensive) sound bars offer great sound but doesn't sync with sonos. I am frustrated from trying to get a straight answer from sonos. How hard can it be to incooperate current digital TV audio technology into your TV audio products?
I wanted to purchase a playbar today however after reading about this I'm worried my tv doesn't pass through 5.1. Would anyone know? I have an LG 60PN6500.
I wanted to purchase a playbar today however after reading about this I'm worried my tv doesn't pass through 5.1. Would anyone know? I have an LG 60PN6500.

Sorry, it's a LG 60PA6500
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Check rtings.com.
Check rtings.com.

Didn't look like anything was posted regarding this TV. I had the TV connected to a Denon receiver via ARC. To test optical 5.1 pass through, I disconnected ARC and connected the components (cable box and FireTV (Kodi)) to the TV directly and using an optical audio cable from TV to receiver. Watching a 5.1 DTS movie on Kodi - the back speakers seem to be working correctly. Would this mean if I purchased a playbar and used two play 1s, I would not have an issue with surround sound?
Badge +1
Sorry mods, I posted this elsewhere but think it belongs here. Could you add the TV to the master list please?

I’ve found another TV that works:

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

Sky+ HD Box > HDMI > TV HDMI 1
Panasonic Blu-Ray > HDMI > TV HDMI 2
TV > Digital Optical > Playbase

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout
Hi, I have a SONY KDL-40R470A which supports DOLBY® MS10 (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse) and has an digital optical audio output. Would that work with the playbar for Dolby Digital? thanks
Badge
Does anyone know if there will be issues with a 2017 Sony KD65XE9005?
https://www.sony.dk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-65xe9005

I'm planning to purchase this TVs soon. I already own a SONOS PlayBar, two PLAY ONE, and AppleTV 4K.
Will I have any issues with the PlayBar passing Dolby 5.1 with this TV?
Sorry mods, I posted this elsewhere but think it belongs here. Could you add the TV to the master list please?

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout
I’m looking at the 40” ex700b to run with playbase, have tried contacting Panasonic to have this confirmed but did you have many problems setting up. Will be connecting X Box One X via HDMI and want to run play base for watching tv, playing x box and watching blu rays.

Panasonic 50-EX700B

Hi - juhunio (Sorry for me also - Ive replied on the other thread and then found this one)

I have the 58inch version and would love to know how you managed to get the 5.1 passed through! What settings did you end up with?

Completely agree about Netflix and Amazon, its a massive difference to the Sonos virtual version. The best Ive had is 2.0 from Sky Q but I'm now hopeful its a TV Setting? Either that or a warning for you not to go Sky Q!

Thanks

Paul,
Hi,

Just want to add LG 47lh3000 to the list of compatible Tv's that will pass through 5.1 DD to the Playbar.

I'd like to add that my LG 37LH5000 also passes Dolby Digital 5.1 through to the BEAM (using the Optical to HDMI adapter). When playing a DVD from my LG Blu Ray player, I notice an ever so slight lip-sync delay, where the sound is slightly behind the picture. I was wondering Fredrik_13 if you notice this too? Audio from Netflix on my Tivo v6 box seems perfectly synced. Both are passing 5.1 signals through. Thanks!

Panasonic 50-EX700B

Hi - could you share the settings you have please? I’ve just bought the Panasonic tx-49fx650 which should be similar to yours. I have an LG Blu Ray player and Tivo using HDMI to the tv and optical cable to playbar - but it’s not outputting in 5.1 from the Blu Ray player. I know it can get quite complex, but seeing your settings may help me! Thanks
Badge +1
LG 43UK6300 confirmed working with beam hdmi arc

Anyone know if Toshiba 43UL5A63DB does Dolby digital pass through? Thanks

Anyone know if Toshiba 43UL5A63DB does Dolby digital pass through? Thanks

I can confirm it does when selecting compressed audio format on the tv 

Badge

Panasonic 50-EX700B

@juhunio did you upgrade to Sky Q and if so are you getting issues.

I have the EX700B - 50 the same as you. plugged into my Soundbar. I am getting DD 5.1. However I am getting a high pitch noise when you pause the TV, FFWD or RWD, playing is fine. Only seems to be an issue on SKY Q box. Firestick4k is passing through 5.1 no issues. be good to knwo if you tested Sky Q with this TV and if you resolved the issues?

Badge +1

Hi @Mark_124 

Sorry, no we didn’t. We ditched box-based TV providers a year or so ago in favour of an Apple TV 4K, through which we stream everything (including occasional Now TV passes if we want any Sky content)

Haven’t experienced any problems with it, but can’t help with your Sky Q issue unfortunately

Badge

Hi,

I have a sonos playbar (+ sub + 2play 1) and don't consider to upgrade it to the latest ARC version. However I am considering to update my tv to the sharp 4tc60al1x

How do I ensure that 5.1 is passthough optical?

https://sg.sharp/products/tvav/4t-c60al1x

https://sg.sharp/sites/default/files/products/documents/4TC50AL1X-4TC60AL1X-4TC70AL1X_1.pdf

I previously had the sharp lc-40le830m, which did not passthrough 5.1, so had to procure an additional hdmi switcher

Would appreciate assistance.