Answered

Lip Sync Delay

• 2 February 2017
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Most likely both the xbox and the cable box are sending video and audio in sync. The problem is not with the source devices it has more to do with the TV.

When it goes into your TV, your TV does some video processing that delays the video signal. The TV will also add some delay to the audio in order to theoretically have it in sync with the now-delayed video signal. your TV may or may not be doing that accurately, and different kinds of video processing can result in different amounts of video delay, which hopefully the TV should automatically delay the audio the correct amount for all of them. (knock on wood)

Some TV's have game modes which may attempt to minimize the video delay in order to have responsive game play, as well as enhance the picture for game graphics, etc.

So in theory if you are playing xbox and cable box through the TV, then in both cases the TV should attempt to delay the audio signal by just the right amount to match whatever video processing is happening which might be less for game mode, or might not. Its always possible that your TV is not accurately calculating the amount of audio delay to add for game mode. So first test should be, if you plug your cable box and xbox both directly into the TV and use the TV speakers, does everything appear and sound in sync? Is xbox video and audio responsive to your actions? If you change the TV to normal TV viewing display preferences rather then using "game" mode, then what are the results?

Now when you use a hub or splitter, the audio is pulled off of the signal before hitting the TV. The TV still delays the video, but now the audio will be early for everything since the TV isn't delaying it to keep it in sync with the video delay. And since the TV might be delaying the video more or less depending on what video processing is happening, then the amount of time the audio would be early might not be consistent. Let's say the audio might be a little early for xbox and a lot early for regular TV...or might not..just depends on the video processing in those two modes in the TV. when you use the Hub you need to use the Sonos lip sync delay slider to add some delay back to the audio again, by just the right amount. But if the game mode on your TV has different video delay then TV mode...then you will have inconsistent results and have to constantly adjust the sonos slider depending on what you're trying to do. If you can use one consistent TV video preferences...even for playing games...then it will be more consistent that way.

The main reason to use the hub was in order to get the audio a little bit early to the Sonos, which makes up for the wireless latency that sonos introduces. But you do lose the TV's ability to automatically keep picture and audio in sync as mentioned above.

Yes I was using a monoprice. It worked well. But like I said, its all better now with recent sonos firmware update...I don't use it anymore.
I had a signicant audio delay, luckily my LG C7 had a option in the sound menu to adjust audio timing to sync with video, look for this solution
Userlevel 1
Badge
Have an LG C7, but the AV / Bypass option on the tv does not fix my sync issue. It's evidently a problem with the tv (not SONOS). LG is aware of this, has escalated, and is currently working on (per another thread).

SONOS support advises wiring directly to the device (i.e., SONOS to cable box), which does fix the issue. Unfortunately, this requires manually rewiring every time I switch devices. This was not a viable solution for me & I bought a splitter. Sucks that I had to spend the extra $$$ on top of the sound system + tv, but oh well... Audio is now in sync for all devices.

FWIW, here's a link to the splitter I settled on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJ8VS62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
@lfallo - where is the thread about the LG C7 issue?

I personally found that if I run the audio output in stereo, there is no problem with sync. If I run the audio output in Dolby Digital, then the sound de-syncs. I can’t imagine that this is only a problem with the LG TV, since the Sonos is receiving the audio...?
Userlevel 1
Badge
@lfallo - where is the thread about the LG C7 issue?

I personally found that if I run the audio output in stereo, there is no problem with sync. If I run the audio output in Dolby Digital, then the sound de-syncs. I can’t imagine that this is only a problem with the LG TV, since the Sonos is receiving the audio...?

Yea, I saw the same thing. Switching my LG's audio mode to "LG sync" (which outputs in stereo), I didn't get a delay. During my conversation with Sonos I asked why this was, and they basically ignored the question. I honestly didn't feel like pressing for an answer.

Anyway, here's the link to the other thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/if-you-re-experiencing-audio-delay-issues-read-this-6793458
Badge
I too have an issue with lip sync with the TV. I have an optical cable running from the Playbar to the TV, but maybe i need to try it from the cable box. Didn't know it even had one. I have a Sub as well, but I assume the Sub will follow the Playbar. I also have hard wired speakers in the ceiling that go with the TV, and are part of my Basement location in Sonos, so not sure how this will sound if I hook up the Playbar to the cable box via optical cable. Any thoughts from anyone?
It’s worth a test, at the least. I suspect you’ll find that the issue is indeed the TV....but that’s because it works perfectly on both the Vizios I have, so I know the Sonos works as designed. And yes, the SUB is linked to the PLAYBAR.

The surround connection wouldn’t be changed at all if you swapped the optical from the TV to the cable box, much like the SUB, they’d be connected to the PLAYBAR as well.
Badge
I appreciate the reply and I will give it a try. Thank you.
Have an LG C7, but the AV / Bypass option on the tv does not fix my sync issue. It's evidently a problem with the tv (not SONOS). LG is aware of this, has escalated, and is currently working on (per another thread).

SONOS support advises wiring directly to the device (i.e., SONOS to cable box), which does fix the issue. Unfortunately, this requires manually rewiring every time I switch devices. This was not a viable solution for me & I bought a splitter. Sucks that I had to spend the extra $$$ on top of the sound system + tv, but oh well... Audio is now in sync for all devices.

FWIW, here's a link to the splitter I settled on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJ8VS62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is using this type of splitter the best path to having a permanent fix to solve the Lip Sync delay issue? From the copious amount of reading I've done... I haven't seen a better solution....
Userlevel 1
i have a Sony 85x900f and i too am experiencing sync delay with the soundbar linked directly to the TV. Talk about annoying.
i just purchased a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G188Z7A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 in hopes that it will solve my problem. I too need to speed up the audio and not slow it down. I have every audio assistance option disabled. i wanted a toslink that could be controlled by my logitech remote and read reviews saying it was easy to configure with a logitech. Perhaps the link above is also programable via a universal remote. I'm guessing you have to us an IR repeater for both. Anyways, i hope this solves my problem as there is NO way i will be switching cables to and fro. If it doesn't, i'm returning my entire 5.1 and going with a traditional setup