LG C9 + Arc + UB820 / Multichannel PCM for DTS Blu-Ray discs

Userlevel 1

I’m running an LG C9 with a Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player, Sonos Arc + Sub gen 3 + One SL surrounds. The lack of DTS support on the Arc has been frustrating for non Dolby encoded Blu-ray discs, so I have been eagerly awaiting the multichannel PCM update.

It’s finally arrived (thanks, Sonos!) and I tried playing a DTS encoded Blu-ray and… no dice. Still stereo PCM 2.0. Has anyone running a similar set-up managed to get 5.1 PCM output from the Arc?

The C9 supports eARC and multichannel PCM, I’m using 48gbps HDMI cables that support up to 8k60Hz, all of the devices are up to date, I have the C9 set to PCM with eArc enabled, DTS output set to PCM on the UB820… I’m really at a loss here. Any ideas or suggested settings?

314 replies

Badge

So good news, we’re getting DTS support? But my CX doesn’t support DTS passthrough!

Userlevel 1
Badge

So good news, we’re getting DTS support? But my CX doesn’t support DTS passthrough!

I hear you there. I got excited for a moment when I read the Beam announcement and then remembered LG won’t pass the format through. Have to keep hoping for Sonos to implement the proper Multichannel PCM 7.1 to 5.1 downmix. Or we could sell the LG, of course…

While I do love the LG G1 for its features, I’m slightly pained that I have supported a company that has dropped significant support for physical media. I have already warned people of LG dropping support for DTS, as I know it was an easy go to for some friends in the past. Now that Sonos will support it…LG not supporting it is really is eating at me a little. If the G1 wasn’t so great for gaming, I would walk away from it.

I hear you there. I got excited for a moment when I read the Beam announcement and then remembered LG won’t pass the format through. Have to keep hoping for Sonos to implement the proper Multichannel PCM 7.1 to 5.1 downmix. Or we could sell the LG, of course…

While I do love the LG G1 for its features, I’m slightly pained that I have supported a company that has dropped significant support for physical media. I have already warned people of LG dropping support for DTS, as I know it was an easy go to for some friends in the past. Now that Sonos will support it…LG not supporting it is really is eating at me a little. If the G1 wasn’t so great for gaming, I would walk away from it.

I have the LGC9 and arc  Will this new update make my Panasonic UB820 pass through DTS same setup as in the subject?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think someone else said they had a C9 in this thread and that it does still support DTS passthrough, so it might work for you. Unsure what DTS formats the Sonos Arc/Beam will support though…they may not support DTS-HD Master or DTS:X.

I think i read it will just be standard DTS not the top end formats. At this point I would just be happy to have basic DTS for surround sound

Userlevel 3
Badge

I think someone else said they had a C9 in this thread and that it does still support DTS passthrough, so it might work for you. Unsure what DTS formats the Sonos Arc/Beam will support though…they may not support DTS-HD Master or DTS:X.

correct, LG took off DTS support from CX and newer TV’s so C9 should be fine. 

AC and Beam will only support regular DTS, No DTS-HD or DTS-X right now.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sweet, does that extend to the B9 too? I’d take any DTS support for now, tired of PCM 2.0 for my Blu Rays

Userlevel 7

Sweet, does that extend to the B9 too? I’d take any DTS support for now, tired of PCM 2.0 for my Blu Rays

The B9 supports DTS passthrough so you should be able to get the core DTS 5.1 track to play from Blu-ray discs.

Panasonic just pushed out a firmware update to their 4K Blu-ray players, including the UB820. I don’t think this will have any effect on the UB820 multichannel LPCM via eARC issue with LG OLEDs, but I’m curious if anyone is able to test. Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Panasonic just pushed out a firmware update to their 4K Blu-ray players, including the UB820. I don’t think this will have any effect on the UB820 multichannel LPCM via eARC issue with LG OLEDs, but I’m curious if anyone is able to test. Thanks

I can confirm it hasn’t changed anything.

I can confirm it hasn’t changed anything.

Darn. Thanks for checking.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

OK, I have confirmed that multichannel PCM is coming through the Arc after unplugging the power cord for a few seconds.

My Sonos system is Arc + 2 x One SLs + Sub (Gen 3).

I have a Sony ubp-x800m2 UltraHD player → LG 65 inch CX OLED TV (2020 model). The LG is connected to the Arc via HDMI 2 (the eArc port).

For testing, I’m using the Saving Private Ryan (Sapphire Series) blu-ray which has English 5.1 DTS-HD MA.

Settings

Sony

Digital Audio Out: PCM (rather than bitstream)

LG

eArc: ON

HDMI Audio Input: Bitstream

Digital Audio Output: Pass Through

The Sony display says “LPCM 5.1”, while the Sonos app says the sound is Multichannel PCM 7.1. I’m guessing it’s not actually 7.1, but I’m also just glad that I can get multichannel PCM without having to wait for a firmware fix or Arcana. All those DTS 5.1 tracks can now be utilised!

Hope this helps. And hopefully this solves the issue permanently.

Such a relief! Woot Woot! Been fiddling too long to figure this out with the LG OELD CX + Sonos Arc/One SLs/Gen 3 Sub + Panasonic DP-UB820EB Bluray player and I didn't want to ship the HDFury Arcana from Asia just to see if I could get multichannel PCM with the LG CX eARC on my Sonos systems for my brand newly released 4K HDR Blurays that seem to come with DTSxx only ( no Atmos). 

I saw your post and decided to buy the less expensive Sony UBP- X700M 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player as experiment. Amazon offered same day shipping and VIOLA. Multichannel PCM 7.1 for these brand new 4K HDR Blurays that keep coming in DTS xx only. Multichannel PCM 7.1 is SO MUCH better than Stereo PCM through the Sonos Arc. 

So many threads, and reading so many comments and I just happened to bump into yours here. I don't know why but seems the Panasonic DP-UB820EB Bluray player does not want to play Multichannel PCM 7.1 with the Sonos Arc system only miserable Stereo PCM for DTS xx. Clearly its not the LG OLED CX, but the Panasonic DP-UB820EB. 

Merci! 

I have a LG E9 (basically a C9) and a Sonos Arc. Set up is working correctly and normal settings, eARC on and pass through on, Dolby Atmos working correctly.

I have a USB with a couple of films that have DTS and am using the internal LG video player. I can’t get it to output in surround sound, I will get silence in Pass Through (as expected) and Auto. Changing to Digital Sound Out to PCM will give sound but only Stereo PCM 2.0.

Any ideas how to get surround sound or is it just wait for the DTS Sonos update? I have a Apple TV 4K, Chromecast Ultra, MacBook Pro and PS5 at my disposal if that helps. Need to get a Blu-ray player?

Edit: Used MacBook Pro via HDMI with Infuse app with eArc on and Pass Through and it seems to be giving PCM 7.1 (definitely sounds a lot better at least). PCM and Auto give Stereo PCM 2.0

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have a LG E9 (basically a C9) and a Sonos Arc. Set up is working correctly and normal settings, eARC on and pass through on, Dolby Atmos working correctly.

I have a USB with a couple of films that have DTS and am using the internal LG video player. I can’t get it to output in surround sound, I will get silence in Pass Through (as expected) and Auto. Changing to Digital Sound Out to PCM will give sound but only Stereo PCM 2.0.

Any ideas how to get surround sound or is it just wait for the DTS Sonos update? I have a Apple TV 4K, Chromecast Ultra, MacBook Pro and PS5 at my disposal if that helps. Need to get a Blu-ray player?

Edit: Used MacBook Pro via HDMI with Infuse app with eArc on and Pass Through and it seems to be giving PCM 7.1 (definitely sounds a lot better at least). PCM and Auto give Stereo PCM 2.0

Glad you found a solution. Once you hear the good stuff, Stereo PCM 2.0 can be painful for movie watching. 

DTS: I didn't know what I didn’t know!

Thankfully there is an army of frustrated consumers buying up all these new 4K TVs on many forums across the internet many suffering the same and presenting discovered work/arounds that will work for some of us but not all. 

Worse many of these new 2021 4K UHD remastered Blu-ray movies are only DTS or some form of DTS. 

Problem solved if we all just stream 4K UHD digital movies instead of buying physical discs. At least we get some form of room filling Surround Sound if Dolby Atmos is not available. And these new 4K TVs make streaming digital 4K UHD look very, very good with HDR and/or Dolby Vision applied. Not physical disk level of data, but so very good I can see many skipping physical altogether going forward.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey everyone, so I’m a long time lurker/contributor of this thread.

I have a B9 instead of a C9/X, and I understand it has DTS pass through support. So I expected today’s update with DTS support from Sonos to finally mean I no longer need to listen to my Blu Rays in Stereo PCM.

Unfortunately, no luck at all :( I don’t understand why it’s still not giving me DTS of anything better than stereo. Can anyone suggest any steps to take?

Userlevel 7

I have a B9 instead of a C9/X, and I understand it has DTS pass through support. So I expected today’s update with DTS support from Sonos to finally mean I no longer need to listen to my Blu Rays in Stereo PCM.

Unfortunately, no luck at all :( I don’t understand why it’s still not giving me DTS of anything better than stereo. Can anyone suggest any steps to take?

What are your Blu-ray player audio settings currently set to?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ahh, I think I’ve cracked it!!

Player settings (UB820):

DTS/DTS-HD - Bitstream

BD-Video Secondary Audio - Automatic

LG B9 settings:

Digital Sound Out - Passthrough

eARC - Off

Turning the eARC off seemed to be the thing that pushed it over the line. I haven’t tried DTS:X Blu Rays yet, but my DTS-HD 5.1 and 7.1s are now showing as ‘DTS Surround 5.1’ instead of the old ‘Stereo PCM’. They sound gorgeous!

Wow, I have no idea whether turning off eARC is gonna cause other problems for me, but I can’t believe I finally have DTS surround sound, with the UB820 as well!

Userlevel 7

@Robboadam Glad you got it working. I would also turn off the Secondary Audio setting on the UB820. This needs to be turned off if you want to get Dolby Atmos audio from Blu-ray discs.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Robboadam Glad you got it working. I would also turn off the Secondary Audio setting on the UB820. This needs to be turned off if you want to get Dolby Atmos audio from Blu-ray discs.

So I kept it on Automatic, put in an Atmos Blu ray, and got Atmos through.

The only downside so far is that turning off eARC gives me DD+ Atmos rather than TrueHD. But I don’t think I really notice the difference with my setup.

Ahh, I think I’ve cracked it!!

Player settings (UB820):

DTS/DTS-HD - Bitstream

BD-Video Secondary Audio - Automatic

LG B9 settings:

Digital Sound Out - Passthrough

eARC - Off

Turning the eARC off seemed to be the thing that pushed it over the line. I haven’t tried DTS:X Blu Rays yet, but my DTS-HD 5.1 and 7.1s are now showing as ‘DTS Surround 5.1’ instead of the old ‘Stereo PCM’. They sound gorgeous!

Wow, I have no idea whether turning off eARC is gonna cause other problems for me, but I can’t believe I finally have DTS surround sound, with the UB820 as well!

I can confirm this also worked for me. Beam Gen 2 (with the DTS update), UB820 and LG C9. 

UB820 set to bitstream DTS. With the C9 set to eARC on, playing DTS-HD gives the unsupported audio format error. Setting it to off causes the TV to pass the core 5.1 DTS to the Beam. 

i was disappointed that the Sonos update wasn’t sophisticated enough to detect the HD stream, but then just play back the lossy core. But this at least gives me a simple workaround, without the need for extra hardware. 

Hopefully this will improve with further Sonos updates. Fingers crossed this is just the beginning, and that HD and X are on the roadmap to come!

I don’t get it I have tried exactly what is said and I have the LG C9 and UB820 with the Sonos Arc and I am still getting no sound with the unsupported tv audio message. 
I tried the above and turning EARC off and nothing…

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don’t get it I have tried exactly what is said and I have the LG C9 and UB820 with the Sonos Arc and I am still getting no sound with the unsupported tv audio message. 

There may be a few other settings you need to tweak with. Do you wanna post your settings and we can take a look?

There may be a few other settings you need to tweak with. Do you wanna post your settings and we can take a look?

These are the settings that I have tried to match what was said above but doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me

These are the settings that I have tried to match what was said above but doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me

At first glance the main difference I see between your settings and mine is that I have BD-Video Secondary Audio set to off. Perhaps give that a try, to see if it helps.

At first glance the main difference I see between your settings and mine is that I have BD-Video Secondary Audio set to off. Perhaps give that a try, to see if it helps.

That’s weird I’ve just turned it on to give it another try and it’s sorted itself out without me doing anything. I tried BD audio on off and auto and the only one where it worked is having it on . Also turned EARC back on and still works. 

does having it on affect the Dolby Atmos discs and have to turn it back off?