LG C9 + Arc + UB820 / Multichannel PCM for DTS Blu-Ray discs

Userlevel 1

I’m running an LG C9 with a Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player, Sonos Arc + Sub gen 3 + One SL surrounds. The lack of DTS support on the Arc has been frustrating for non Dolby encoded Blu-ray discs, so I have been eagerly awaiting the multichannel PCM update.

It’s finally arrived (thanks, Sonos!) and I tried playing a DTS encoded Blu-ray and… no dice. Still stereo PCM 2.0. Has anyone running a similar set-up managed to get 5.1 PCM output from the Arc?

The C9 supports eARC and multichannel PCM, I’m using 48gbps HDMI cables that support up to 8k60Hz, all of the devices are up to date, I have the C9 set to PCM with eArc enabled, DTS output set to PCM on the UB820… I’m really at a loss here. Any ideas or suggested settings?

314 replies

I have the Apple TV4 HD version linked to the LG C9 and that passes through the Multichannel LPCM 5.1 codec to the Sonos Arc, no problem ...(I was playing 6 Underground from Netflix when I tested that previously), Audio out on the ATV set to Auto, if that assists here at all?

Maybe that points to the Panasonic UB820 having a problem with its ‘handshake’ with the LG C9 TV, particularly as I have managed so far to get both the Apple TV (set to auto) and a PS3 (manually set to LPCM 5.1) to pass through the multichannel LPCM 5.1 codec to the Arc.

I think I found the solution.  The player and the Sonos app are showing 2 channel, but I’m getting surround.  Try it and let me know your thoughts.

My set up:

TV: LG C9 

Player: Panasonic UB820

Sonos: Arc, Gen 3 Sub, One SL x 2

Audio settings on the UB820

Digital Audio Output - DTS: PCM

Downmix: Surround Encoded

Audio Settings on LGC9

HDMI ARC

Digital Sound: Passthrough 

eARC: On

I was playing around with some settings today and I found another way to get sound from all speakers.

I think the difference this time is that I actually ran the device connector for the HDMI inputs so that my HDMI2 was set to Sonos (by selecting the sound bar manufacturer), and my HDMI 3 was set to Panasonic (by selecting the Blu-ray player manufacturer)

The result in the Sonos App System Info still says stereo PCM 2.0, but I’m achieving sound from all my speakers.  Previously the only way i was able to achieve sound from all speakers was by setting the Audio Downmix in the UB820 to Surround Encoded.  Beyond that every other possible combination of settings would not result in audio coming from all of my speakers.  I believe the Device Connector did something.  

Now I’m not sure if this is true 5.1 or if there is some virtual surround stuff going on here.  Would anybody with an HD fury set up compare what they are hearing by using my method, and then comparing to the HD Fury set up.

TV: LG C9 

Player: Panasonic UB820

Sonos: Arc, Gen 3 Sub, One SL x 2

Audio settings on the UB820

Digital Audio Output - DTS: Bitstream

Downmix: Stereo

Audio Settings on LGC9

HDMI ARC

Digital Sound: PCM or Passthrough

eARC: On

Userlevel 7

@zad What specific content are you testing?

The easiest way of knowing if you are getting 5.1 audio is listening to the dialogue. It should only be coming from the Arc speakers and not your surround speakers (unless there is a character speaking off of the screen). And when you hear 5.1 audio compared to 2.0 stereo, it will be a dramatic difference.

@GuitarSuperstar I’m testing out Blu-ray’s with DTS / DTS-MA soundtracks.  From what I’m hearing, dialogue is coming from the arc with the surrounds giving me distinct effects.  

Userlevel 7

Does the audio sound just as good as playing a Dolby TrueHD Blu-ray? If you are getting actual multichannel PCM, it should sound just as good and immersive.

@GuitarSuperstar After some further testing..

I’m using the One Upon A Time In Hollywood 4K Blu Ray since it’s main audio track is DTS-MA, and all other languages are in DD 5.1

The DD tracks (Passthrough or Auto to the Arc) show up as DD 5.1 in the Sonos App, and give me clearly distinct sounds from each channel.

The DTS-MA track (PCM to the Arm) the audio volume is noticeably lower, and the sounds are not nearly as distinct.  

So I’m exactly sure what this all boils down to.  All i know is by using the device connector and setting the inputs to the proper device / brand I’m able to get some kind of surround.  That wasn’t happening before at all.  (unless i set the BluRay audio downmix to Surround Encoded) 

Userlevel 7

@zad Unfortunately, it sounds like you are just getting Stereo PCM 2.0 with the same audio playing through your surrounds. The fact that the DD 5.1 track sounds better than the DTS-MA (or converted PCM 5.1) audio track is very telling.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I received my HDFury Arcana today and I have some positive preliminary results to share, certainly in regards to the Panasonic 820 output. I need to do more tests. But so far, success with DTS multichannel to PCM Multichannel into the Sonos Arc while retaining correct Atmos playback in True HD format.

Here is my set up:

Sources:

Panasonic 820 4k Player

Apple TV 4K

Tivo Bolt

(I have a Nintendo Switch, but I have not connected it to the TV to try with this.)

Display: LG 55” C9 (2019)

Audio: Sonos Arc 5.1 set up

All devices are on latest firmware.

The Arcana arrived via DHL from Taiwan. I ordered on Jan 1, it shipped on Jan 4 and arrived today, Jan 8. Product arrives in a blister pack and includes the Arcana, a USB cable and a power plug (with US plug in my case). No documentation - that is all online. Firmware came as .79 (which was released in Nov in parallel with the Arc’s update to support PCM multichannel audio). I updated, via USB stick, to the December release which is .80 and that fixed some Xbox items according to the notes. Arcana build quality is fine. Not super great, but survivable for a part that likely just sits without much interaction. Menus are nicely laid out and easy to read on the OLED screen.

Happily, my theory that I could use the TV as switcher was accurate for the non-820 sources! 

My set up now:

820 via 8k ethernet HDMI cable to the Arcana HDMI in (I doubt I need this high a cable for this, but it is what I had)

Arcana HDMI video out to LG input 2 (ARC port), with a 18 gbps /ethernet cable 

Arcana HDMI eARC output to the Sonos input via 18 gbps ethernet

AppleTV 4K to LG input 1

Tivo to LG Input 4 

(the 820 used to be in 3 on the LG, hence the gap)

820 has Dolby tracks in bitstream format for output

820 has DTS tracks going out via PCM for output

BR Secondary audio is off

From the Hobbit 4k disc, I get Atmos (True HD) to the Sonos - as expected

From the LA Phil 100th Anniversary Disc, I get 2.0 PCM from the 2.0 PCM track AND….

7.1 (but only 5.1 source) from the DTS MA track. (This disc features a 2D and a 5.1 mix.)

From the new Eiger Sanction blu-ray release, I get PCM 2.0 from the DTS MA track (which might be in 1.0 format)

I am sending 4k 4:4:4 picture (native for the Hobbit, upsampled by the Panasonic for 1080 sources). The Arcana can do this too, but I did not see the need for that.

(Note, I tried to adjust the Panasonic to match the disc channels - e.g. 5.1 for 5.1 - but it seems to always want to send 7.1 - even when I changed the down mix settings. I need to tweak more.)

When I switch to the Apple TV on input 1, the LG correctly passes the bitstream back to the Arcana via eARC, which routes it to the Sonos. (I think it’s crucial to the have the Panasonic off for this to work.) I can get 5.1, Atmos (DD+), and 2.0 PCM - all as expected based on the programming source. Picture is 4K Dolby Vision when the source allows.

Here I have a flag on synchronization between the TV and Sonos. I feel like when I watched Rise of Skywalker via Disney+ that the Atmos audio was slightly late which would be attributed to the extra hop through the Arcana. However, when I watched the same movie via my Apple iTunes Movies version, it was in sync. I looked at Rebecca on Netflix which has Atmos, and it seemed in sync or very close. I did run the Wireless Sync on the AppleTV. but I am not sure that impacts wired connections. There are no settings on the TV that I know of to make the picture lag - only to make the sound lag which is not helpful. I tried both Passthrough and Auto for the ARC Out setting (and with bitstream as the format).

I only flipped through a few channels on the Tivo and it all seemed in sync. The Tivo is sending Dolby Digital through and it seemed in sync.

So, I think I have what I want. Great 4k player that can drive the LG and Sonos with any disc I want to play and with the correct channel output and nicely upsample lower res images. Ability to use multiple sources with the LG and not need a switcher as well.

More to follow as I play around more this weekend and watch feature length content. 

And do I think this should be necessary? Heck no! As noted in a previous post, having to spend $200 more to solve a connection problem seems wrong. But if the issue is with the LG CEC, my instinct is that they won’t fix a 2019 problem such as this unless it were impacted a number of players. They might for the 2020 CX line, and perhaps for whatever they announce next week at CES. 

Hope my initial tests prove reliable and repeatable over the next few days!

Thanks for info. Question: can you still output 5.1 LPCM from Apple TV (or another device, such as PS5)? I thought that Apple TV needed to be hooked up to the Arcana for the 5.1 LPCM to work with Sonos Arc and Arcana. 

Yes, I am getting 5.1 as well as Atmos from the Apple TV and TiVo in my setup. They are passing to the C9 then out the eARC to the Arcana to the Sonos.  The Arcana will route the ARC/eARC signal this way as long and does not change the audio in any way.  So effectively, I have an expensive device solving the 820 LG Sonos handshake issue. No PS5 or Xbox to test. I have my Switch and see what that produces.

The only “issue” I have remaining is that the 820 only outputs DTS as either 2.0 (for 2.0 source tracks) or 7.1. Even mono tracks (from old Criterion discs, for example) go out as 7.1. They are still right in playback at the Sonos - mono sound, no surrounds. So, might be how the Panasonic handles setting anything - it sends 7.1 but with 6.1 of that silent. Not sure. Sounds fine which is good.  This situation is not impacted by the surround downmix settings. 7.1 expansion can be on or off. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I received my HDFury Arcana today and I have some positive preliminary results to share, certainly in regards to the Panasonic 820 output. I need to do more tests. But so far, success with DTS multichannel to PCM Multichannel into the Sonos Arc while retaining correct Atmos playback in True HD format.

…. (see my original post above for the detail)

Thanks for info. Question: can you still output 5.1 LPCM from Apple TV (or another device, such as PS5)? I thought that Apple TV needed to be hooked up to the Arcana for the 5.1 LPCM to work with Sonos Arc and Arcana. 

Yes, I am getting 5.1 as well as Atmos from the Apple TV and TiVo in my setup. They are passing to the C9 then out the eARC to the Arcana to the Sonos.  The Arcana will route the ARC/eARC signal this way as long and does not change the audio in any way.  So effectively, I have an expensive device solving the 820 LG Sonos handshake issue. No PS5 or Xbox to test. I have my Switch and see what that produces.

An update, but one with good news, I believe!

I think I have found the set up which works and solves the problem of this thread! I am now using the HDFury Arcana as an intermediary between the Panasonic 820 and the LG C9 by connecting the 820 to the HDMI in of the Arcana and then using the Arcana HDMI out (NOT the eARC out) to the C9 and into a regular HDMI input (Number 3 in my case). This is absolutely not the point of the Arcana device, but amazingly it has enabled multichannel audio between the 820 and the Sonos Arc (via the LG).

The Arcana has a setting (not enabled by default) to pass the incoming audio unmodified out the HDMI Out to the TV (in parallel with sending it to the eARC channel). 

It turns out that @joeytvmusic97 was correct - I was not getting 5.1 audio from the AppleTV in my previous set up. That set up had the 820 into the Arcana, and the Arcana feeding both the Sonos and the LG. In this mode, the LG will also pass audio back up to the Arcana via ARC which routes it out to the eARC port on the Arcana. Into the C9 was my AppleTV 4K and Tivo Bolt. However, while an Apple TV Dolby Atmos signal would pass through the C9 to the Sonos, straight 5.1 audio would not. Dolby Digital worked fine out of the TIVo. The LG apps all worked too (as they encode in Dolby Digital). No idea why the 5.1 PCM did not make it out from the ATV though. I contacted HDFury on their Discord server (which was great by the way), and basically they told me that my set up was not a defined one for them.  They recommended a HDMI switcher ahead of the Arcana (this set up they show on their website).

For a lark, I tried this: Since the Arcana will pass the audio from the 820 through the HDMI Out to the TV, maybe this extra handshake would enable the 820 to actually send out multichannel audio. That does appear to be the case. And as a test, I tried to bypass the Arcana by using either of the two cables I had in the chain (so as to eliminate a cable as the issue), and both immediately reverted back to 2.0 PCM. I put the Arcana back in-between, and presto, 7.1 MC again. 

Because the Arcana is now not in the pathway for the ATV or TiVo, all of that audio works exactly as expected. I can get Atmos, 5.1 and 2.0 audio (depending on the source) from the ATV. I can get 2.0 and 5.1 Dolby Digital from the TiVo. I tried my Switch too, and Zelda produced 5.1 PCM audio as well. 

So, it appears, at least for me, that using the Arcana in this odd way - effectively skipping what it was designed to do - fixed whatever the error is between the 820 - LG - Sonos combo. And I have my preferred wiring - one component to each LG input, and the LG to the Sonos. The LG acts as the switcher between units (and CEC correctly switches input with the remote for each).

It would be great to get someone else to test this!

Laird

Here’s a list of the settings and media I tested this evening:

LG Settings

Audio: HDMI ARC out (Passthrough mode)

eARC on

CEC is on

LG Input 2 eARC connected directly to the Sonos Arc

Panasonic Settings

HDMI-> 4K output on (1080 etc being upsampled which is why I wanted the Panasonic in the first place)

HDMI-> Advanced-> 7.1 Channel Reformatting is OFF (but does not seem to make a difference)

Audio-> Digital Audio Output->Dolby BITSTREAM and DTS to PCM

Secondary Audio is off

Downmix on or off does not matter (which makes sense since this if the optical output I think)

Viera (Panasonic’s CEC) is turned on

HDFury Arcana

820 plugged into HDMI In

HDMI out to LG Input 3

Audio setting: “eARC and TV HDMI” outputs enabled -

but eARC HDMI connection NOT used! Port is empty.

AppleTV 4K

Connected to LG Input 1

Video: 4K match content and resolution format

Audio - Auto with Atmos turned on

HDMI control is on (CEC on ATV)

Test Media

LA Phil 100th Anniversary Blu-Ray

DTS-MA 5.1 Track -> Multichannel PCM 7.1

LPCM 2.0 -> Stereo PCM 2.0 (note - the Sonos treats this as if playing a music track and expands audio into the surrounds)

Jean Renoir’s La Marseilles

DTS-HD MA 2.0 Track -> Stereo PCM 2.0

Here because this is 2 track mono, the audio is only coming from the Sonos center (as I would expect)

The Hobbit Unexpected Journey Extended 4K UHD

Dolby Atmos -> Dolby Atmos (True HD)

Dolby Digital (Foreign audio) -> Dolby Digital 5.1

Psycho 4K

DTS:X -> PCM MC 7.1 (this is the new surround mix done for the 4k release)

DTS MA 2.0 -> PCM 2.0 (and sounds mono which this should be as the original track was mono)

Chimes at Midnight

LPCM 1 ch ->PCM 5.1 (but sounds correctly mono)

AppleTV Playback

Disney+

Rise of Skywalker correctly plays with Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital)

Star Wars Resistance correctly plays with multichannel 5.1

Criterion Channel

La Chienne (1931) - correct 2.0 PCM output (and sound mono)

Nintendo Switch LG input 4 - in Auto Audio mode

Legend of Zelda

5.1 Multichannel as expected

…. (see my original post above for the detail)

An update, but one with good news, I believe!

I think I have found the set up which works and solves the problem of this thread! I am now using the HDFury Arcana as an intermediary between the Panasonic 820 and the LG C9 by connecting the 820 to the HDMI in of the Arcana and then using the Arcana HDMI out (NOT the eARC out) to the C9 and into a regular HDMI input (Number 3 in my case). This is absolutely not the point of the Arcana device, but amazingly it has enabled multichannel audio between the 820 and the Sonos Arc (via the LG).

The Arcana has a setting (not enabled by default) to pass the incoming audio unmodified out the HDMI Out to the TV (in parallel with sending it to the eARC channel). 

It turns out that @joeytvmusic97 was correct - I was not getting 5.1 audio from the AppleTV in my previous set up. That set up had the 820 into the Arcana, and the Arcana feeding both the Sonos and the LG. In this mode, the LG will also pass audio back up to the Arcana via ARC which routes it out to the eARC port on the Arcana. Into the C9 was my AppleTV 4K and Tivo Bolt. However, while an Apple TV Dolby Atmos signal would pass through the C9 to the Sonos, straight 5.1 audio would not. Dolby Digital worked fine out of the TIVo. The LG apps all worked too (as they encode in Dolby Digital). No idea why the 5.1 PCM did not make it out from the ATV though. I contacted HDFury on their Discord server (which was great by the way), and basically they told me that my set up was not a defined one for them.  They recommended a HDMI switcher ahead of the Arcana (this set up they show on their website).

For a lark, I tried this: Since the Arcana will pass the audio from the 820 through the HDMI Out to the TV, maybe this extra handshake would enable the 820 to actually send out multichannel audio. That does appear to be the case. And as a test, I tried to bypass the Arcana by using either of the two cables I had in the chain (so as to eliminate a cable as the issue), and both immediately reverted back to 2.0 PCM. I put the Arcana back in-between, and presto, 7.1 MC again. 

Because the Arcana is now not in the pathway for the ATV or TiVo, all of that audio works exactly as expected. I can get Atmos, 5.1 and 2.0 audio (depending on the source) from the ATV. I can get 2.0 and 5.1 Dolby Digital from the TiVo. I tried my Switch too, and Zelda produced 5.1 PCM audio as well. 

So, it appears, at least for me, that using the Arcana in this odd way - effectively skipping what it was designed to do - fixed whatever the error is between the 820 - LG - Sonos combo. And I have my preferred wiring - one component to each LG input, and the LG to the Sonos. The LG acts as the switcher between units (and CEC correctly switches input with the remote for each).

It would be great to get someone else to test this!

Laird

Here’s a list of the settings and media I tested this evening:

LG Settings

Audio: HDMI ARC out (Passthrough mode)

eARC on

CEC is on

LG Input 2 eARC connected directly to the Sonos Arc

Panasonic Settings

HDMI-> 4K output on (1080 etc being upsampled which is why I wanted the Panasonic in the first place)

HDMI-> Advanced-> 7.1 Channel Reformatting is OFF (but does not seem to make a difference)

Audio-> Digital Audio Output->Dolby BITSTREAM and DTS to PCM

Secondary Audio is off

Downmix on or off does not matter (which makes sense since this if the optical output I think)

Viera (Panasonic’s CEC) is turned on

HDFury Arcana

820 plugged into HDMI In

HDMI out to LG Input 3

Audio setting: “eARC and TV HDMI” outputs enabled -

but eARC HDMI connection NOT used! Port is empty.

AppleTV 4K

Connected to LG Input 1

Video: 4K match content and resolution format

Audio - Auto with Atmos turned on

HDMI control is on (CEC on ATV)

Test Media

LA Phil 100th Anniversary Blu-Ray

DTS-MA 5.1 Track -> Multichannel PCM 7.1

LPCM 2.0 -> Stereo PCM 2.0 (note - the Sonos treats this as if playing a music track and expands audio into the surrounds)

Jean Renoir’s La Marseilles

DTS-HD MA 2.0 Track -> Stereo PCM 2.0

Here because this is 2 track mono, the audio is only coming from the Sonos center (as I would expect)

The Hobbit Unexpected Journey Extended 4K UHD

Dolby Atmos -> Dolby Atmos (True HD)

Dolby Digital (Foreign audio) -> Dolby Digital 5.1

Psycho 4K

DTS:X -> PCM MC 7.1 (this is the new surround mix done for the 4k release)

DTS MA 2.0 -> PCM 2.0 (and sounds mono which this should be as the original track was mono)

Chimes at Midnight

LPCM 1 ch ->PCM 5.1 (but sounds correctly mono)

AppleTV Playback

Disney+

Rise of Skywalker correctly plays with Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital)

Star Wars Resistance correctly plays with multichannel 5.1

Criterion Channel

La Chienne (1931) - correct 2.0 PCM output (and sound mono)

Nintendo Switch LG input 4 - in Auto Audio mode

Legend of Zelda

5.1 Multichannel as expected

Thank you - I will try this! 

Userlevel 7

@Laird M Malamed Don’t overcomplicate your setup with the Arcana. The easiest way to get all of your devices to play the audio you want with the Arcana is using an HDMI switch. I use a 3-port ROOFULL switch from Amazon and it works great. Here is my setup: 

@Laird M Malamed Don’t overcomplicate your setup with the Arcana. The easiest way to get all of your devices to play the audio you want with the Arcana is using an HDMI switch. I use a 3-port ROOFULL switch from Amazon and it works great. Here is my setup: 

When I tried this setup with my CX/Arcana/Arc/Panasonic, the Roofull was unable to auto switch between the inputs (PS5, Panasonic, Apple TV).

Userlevel 7

@joeytvmusic97 Yes, my switch won’t auto switch either. I have programmed my Harmony remote and hub to do the switching instead.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks, @GuitarSuperstar for the comments and diagram. 

I think the difference in our set ups is that my LG C9 (and presumably others’ CX) have eARC functionality and can drive the Sonos Arc directly with lossless fidelity of Dolby Atmos. So, since my solution seems to work (and of course I know this is all preliminary), it is actually less complicated because it does not have the Roofull at all. This gets me around the issue you and @joeytvmusic97 raised with having to program another remote. 

I also am dealing with minimal room behind the TV for more components.

Anyway, it’s been a learning experience and I love playing with this stuff.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  1. We (myself included) really need to stope quoting peoples already quoted responses.
  1. It seems that having “something” between the UB820 and TV allows for LPCM as we are all expecting (those of us with CX’s anyway)

Looking at Lairds Arcana settings above - i wonder if putting “something” (i.e. a hdmi switch or something in between the UB820 and TV, would provide the solution that we are all looking for

Userlevel 7

Yes, for TVs equipped with eARC, if you are getting the audio you desire from your devices, they can be connected directly to the TV. And any other device that isn’t getting the audio you desire, like the UB820, connect through the Arcana.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I dont and won’t be spending another £175 on the Arcana

Im glad it works for you guys, but i refuse to be shelling out any more. This is one of the supposed “best” AV combinations so i am expecting either Panasonic or LG to work it out. “2020 TV of the year” with one of the best UHD players on the market, in addition to the latest and greatest offering from Sonos - ridiculous that we are having to spend so much time faffing about discussing the matter.

1. We (myself included) really need to stope quoting peoples already quoted responses.
  1. It seems that having “something” between the UB820 and TV allows for LPCM as we are all expecting (those of us with CX’s anyway)

Looking at Lairds Arcana settings above - i wonder if putting “something” (i.e. a hdmi switch or something in between the UB820 and TV, would provide the solution that we are all looking for

I have an HDMI switch between my CX and Panasonic currently and can’t get LPCM for DTS tracks. 

@Laird M Malamed I used the same setup as you and am happy to report that it solves the issue. This setup is ideal because I can keep my PS5 plugged directly into the CX to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 capabilities.

In the Arcana settings, I agree that the Audio setting needs to be set to Display+eARC. When it’s set to eARC only, there is no sound obviously because the eARC port isn’t being used and when it’s set to Display, there is a lip sync issue.

Tested with Harry Potter DTS and am seeing 7.1 LPCM. I don't understand why it doesn't show 5.1 but oh well.

One question: is there a way to get the Arcana to stop displaying its settings at the bottom of the TV screen?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Laird M Malamed I used the same setup as you and am happy to report that it solves the issue. This setup is ideal because I can keep my PS5 plugged directly into the CX to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 capabilities.

@joeytvmusic97 - So glad both for confirmation and that your set up is working now! That’s also great to confirm this works for C9 and CX models of the LG. 

In the Arcana settings, I agree that the Audio setting needs to be set to Display+eARC. When it’s set to eARC only, there is no sound obviously because the eARC port isn’t being used and when it’s set to Display, there is a lip sync issue.

Tested with Harry Potter DTS and am seeing 7.1 LPCM. I don't understand why it doesn't show 5.1 but oh well.

My thinking on the 7.1 vs. 5.1 PCM output is that Panasonics DTS to PCM decoder just does that mode. I suspect that the extra channels are silent, but that the wrapper is set up for 7.1 and that’s what displays. Given the Arc is only 5.1, if there are 7.1 channels, the Sonos is folding them into the surrounds. In any case, to my ears, positioning sounds proper which is what really matters.

One question: is there a way to get the Arcana to stop displaying its settings at the bottom of the TV screen?

Yes. If you scroll through the Arcana menus, there is an OSD section. Set that to Off (defaults is on). That should remove the overlay. You can also adjust the color and timing if you decide to keep it. See page 16 of the Arcana manual. Note that this goes back to On if you upgrade the firmware and has to be reset. (At this point, I doubt I will update the firmware for fear of breaking this set up.)

@iBoyley - to your points. Agreed on the quote of quotes. I tried to edit mine down to leave some context for feature readers, but it does a git but nuts. I wish the system would use colors to show the old posts vs. new ones. Anyway, good note, and hopefully this post handles the situation well! I just could not figure out how to quote both you and joeytvmusic97. 

Anyway, more importantly, I wonder the same thing - is there a switch or other HDMI device (maybe an amplifier?) that could help with the connectivity issue between the 820 and the LG? Using a device like the Arcana is overkill in this specific situation (although I am not unhappy about it given it works). But you are 100% accurate. The best displays (which the LG series has been for the past few years) and basically the top of the line available 4k Blu-Ray player should work flawlessly together with a leader in audio - Sonos. It’s not like there are 100 players to figure out! And LG is not even competing at the level of the Panasonic 820! Their UBK90 is akin to the lower end Panasonics. Perhaps this is really a commentary on physical media and the lack of priority this has for the AV industry.

Unfortunately this solution has created a new issue for me.

Now that I have the Panasonic connected to the HDMI IN port of the Arcana and the Arcana connected to the CX (HDMI 4) via its HDMI OUT port, I am having a very frustrating issue with CEC.

Normally, my CX will auto switch between my Apple TV (HDMI 1), PS5 (HDMI 3), and Panasonic (HDMI 4) without any issues. However, after connecting the Panasonic to the Arcana and the Arcana to the CX, I first had an issue where the CX would not auto switch to the PS5. Never had this issue before. At this point, it would still auto switch between the Apple TV and Panasonic.

After a few switches between the Apple TV and the Panasonic, however, it would not even auto switch between those two devices. I think it has something to do with the TV recognizing that the Arcana is connected to it and that’s creating an issue for some reason. Normally, I am able to rename the HDMI ports but with this setup, it shows the HDMI 4 icon as a switcher and named it “UNKNOWN” without the ability to rename it (it does not show up in the list when you go to rename HDMI inputs).

I spent some time testing different CEC settings on the TV and devices but the issue actually got worse. At one point, the CX was auto switching back to the Panasonic even when I would manually select the Apple TV.

I tried unplugging all of the HDMI cables and replugging them in 1 by 1. This didn’t help. Finally I did a hard reset of the CX and started plugging HDMI inputs back in. Started with Sonos Arc in HDMI 2, then Apple TV in HDMI 1, and PS5 in HDMI 3. I tested the auto switching at this point and everything was working flawlessly like it normally does.

Then I plugged the Arcana/Panasonic back into HDMI 4 and was happy to see that the auto switching was working as expected for all 3 devices. But then I turned the TV off and back on and the same issue that I was having before started again. First no auto switching to the PS5, then no auto switching at all.

I did a hard reset once again and followed the same steps as above. This time, however, I plugged the Panasonic directly into HDMI 4 without using the Arcana. Now I am able to auto switch between all 3 devices without any issues and this continued to function correctly even when I turned the TV off and back on.

Sigh. I hate that in order to solve the DTS issue, it cost $230 and created another new issue with CEC that I never had before. I even told myself that I could live without the auto switching (even though I am very used to it and appreciate that feature) but then I realized that I can’t live with the CEC auto switching to the Panasonic even when I manually select another device.

Looks like it’s back to the drawing board for me. I wish LG would just fix this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Unfortunately this solution has created a new issue for me.

Now that I have the Panasonic connected to the HDMI IN port of the Arcana and the Arcana connected to the CX (HDMI 4) via its HDMI OUT port, I am having a very frustrating issue with CEC.

Oh no! Bummer. I cannot say I have played around enough to test it so I could have the same issue.

I think it has something to do with the TV recognizing that the Arcana is connected to it and that’s creating an issue for some reason. Normally, I am able to rename the HDMI ports but with this setup, it shows the HDMI 4 icon as a switcher and named it “UNKNOWN” without the ability to rename it (it does not show up in the list when you go to rename HDMI inputs).

I did see this too. The Panasonic auto set the name to “DVD Player” and has a switcher icon. I cannot rename it. I did not think much about that, but I see it too.

Looks like it’s back to the drawing board for me. I wish LG would just fix this issue.

I was looking at the HDFury site again and wondering if the DR HD 4K ($99) would do the same fix as the Arcana, but I think it pretty much strips out HDCP so I am guessing the Panasonic would choke on that.

Does anyone know how to submit bugs to Panasonic, Sonos and LG? We probably should all be doing this.

I think for now, my solution is to use my PS5 for DTS discs. I am able to get 5.1/7.1 surround for DTS discs in the PS5 without any issues. PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision but I realized that none of my DTS discs are Dolby Vision so this shouldn't be an issue, especially since most new Dolby Vision releases have an Atmos track.

This way, I can return the $200 Arcana and am able to enjoy the CX’s auto-switching capabilities. My only gripe is that I have to switch from Game mode to Cinema mode on the PS5 when I play a disc but oh well. Maybe once the PS5 is updated to support Instant Game Response, then this minor inconvenience will be taken care of.

I’m hopeful that LG will eventually fix the LPCM handshake issue with the Panasonic but I won’t count on it and I can’t spend any more time worrying about this. Time to enjoy my TV!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I chatted with HDFury’s team on their Discord server. Basically, I am using the Arcana, as I thought, just like a DR HDMI 4K - basically the way I have set it up is only fixing the EDID problem causing the handshake issue. According to the person who responded, my set up is fine to use it this way. 

Obviously, $100 more expensive is not ideal (Arcana vs. DR HDMI 4K), but again, at least it all works until we get a true fix from LG (or Panasonic if they can fix it on their end). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

That is interesting and led me to the following article. Pretty much confirms it to be a HDMI/CEC “EDID?” issue rather than something wrong with the Panasonic, or an incorrect setting on the CX.