LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey all, my Arc was delivered this morning and I've had a chance to hook it up to my LG C9 directly via eARC and ran a few tests regarding Atmos and other features.

Built in apps:

• Netflix - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU)

• Amazon Prime - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

Xbox One:

• HDMI Audio set to Bitstream out and Bistream Format set to Dolby Atmos has no delay, finally! Displays Dolby Atmos in Sonos app.

PS4:

• Like with the Xbox, there's no delay on Bitstream HDMI audio

NVidia Shield Pro:

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU). After connecting up to a US VPN it's reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• PLEX - This is where it gets slightly annoying. Playing TrueHD content it reports Stereo 2.0. Setting Passthrough to HDMI reports Dolby Atmos (TrueHD). For DTS content you need to switch the Passthrough setting to Optical which in turn causes TrueHD to playback in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

Apple TV:

• iTunes Content - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content. Non Atmos content reports Stereo 2.0. With Change Format > On and New Format > Dolby Digital 5.1, I receive Dolby Digital 5.1 from non-Atmos iTunes content. I ran this test using Beetlejuice and Avengers Assemble.

• Netflix - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content.

• Amazon Prime - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Stereo 2.0 for all content bizarrely. Setting audio output on the Apple TV to Dolby 5.1 allows all content to playback in 5.1 rather than stereo.

My C9 is running firmware 04.80.03 with the following settings:

Sound Out

HDMI ARC selected

Digital Sound Out set to Passthrough

eARC set to ON

Additional Settings

DTV Audio Setting set to Auto

HDMI Input Audio Format set to Bitstream.

If there's anything else I can test or any questions, let me know!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The only issue noted with my Arc installation relates eARC settings. The LG C9 display has eARC capabilities. If "passthrough” is set to “on” and eARC is also "on” then the audio signal from the xfinity cable box persists on the Arc even after turning off the LG display. Since I don't have a need for eARC in my system, I can turn it off without a problem, but it feels like a bug. The Arc replaced a Beam in my system, and the Beam didn't have this problem.

Hello, 

Got an answer from Sony in 3 hours no less.  It  was easy and not documented in any manuals I could find. Funny that the menu doesn't just offer the same sort of support. Nor would have thought to hit the display key on remote. 

Once I was able to do the steps it showed PCM but  not in the document is that it's  actually a changeable feature. Scrolled up saw Dolby Atmos and hit enter and wa la!!!! 

Thanks again for your help . I'm sure I speak for others  in saying how much you're appreciated for the information you provide to the community. 

Augie

There are two ways to check if the audio is set to Dolby Atmos® format:

• On the supplied remote, press the DISPLAY button.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on your TV screen.
  • On the front panel of the device, press the DISPLAY or DISPLAY MODE button several times.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on the display panel.

Note:

• The audio format may not appear if you're playing a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc™.
  • The playback information will not appear when the unit is on TV input.

Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate people like you who take the time to help out. 

Augie

There are two ways to check if the audio is set to Dolby Atmos® format:

• On the supplied remote, press the DISPLAY button.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on your TV screen.
  • On the front panel of the device, press the DISPLAY or DISPLAY MODE button several times.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on the display panel.

Note:

• The audio format may not appear if you're playing a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc™.
  • The playback information will not appear when the unit is on TV input.
Badge

Sorry, but are you confirming that LG C9 has fixed the audio delay when connecting the PS4 via ARC/eARC with the Sonos Arc?

I’m stuck on a LG C7 and thinking about returning my the Sonos Arc because of this unfixable sound delay (Sonos ARC doesnt even have optical to bypass this). If you can confirm LG has fixed this delay with newer TV’s, I might hold onto the soundbar and buy a new tv in the next few years instead. 

Confirming you have PS4 > LG C9 > Sonos Arc via eArc, and no audio delay at all using Bitstream Dolby Digital?

thank you!!

Owners of the LG c9 and who have updated to the newest 4.80.xx update:

Are you still getting atmos from a 4k bluray player?  Does a ps4 still send 5.1 audio in games just fine? Do the WebOS apps send out surround and Atmos fine to the Arc after update? I do not own an Apple TV or any other external streaming box so I am trying to figure out if it is safe to update my TV.  Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Are you still getting atmos from a 4k bluray player?  Does a ps4 still send 5.1 audio in games just fine? Do the WebOS apps send out surround and Atmos fine to the Arc after update? I do not own an Apple TV or any other external streaming box so I am trying to figure out if it is safe to update my TV.  Thanks!

Updated yesterday.

All I have is the internal apps and Roku, but Atmos is correctly delivered on all.

Updated yesterday.

All I have is the internal apps and Roku, but Atmos is correctly delivered on all.

I know it has been one more day, anything negative about the update yet for you ? Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Updated yesterday.

I know it has been one more day, anything negative about the update yet for you ? Thanks.

Nothing negative to report. 

Hi all, I’m having an issue that I haven’t seen discussed in this thread. Basically my C9 always defaults to internal speakers & Optical audio every time I switch on or change source. It’s really annoying because I have to manually go into the C9’s settings and choose ARC. Every time.

My setup is C9, Arc, Sky UK, NVIDIA Shield and then a HDMI switch connected to PS4 and Nintendo Switch. 

Once I manually select ARC audio from the C9’s settings, I get flawless audio in Atmos etc. it’s just annoying having to choose Arc audio every time.

Any help / advice appreciated.

There seems to be a huge amount of confusion centered around the Sonos arc and dolby atmos compatibility.  I recently purchased and arc and sub gen 3. I have an older Samsung TV (2016) that doesn’t have an eARC connection. I figured I’d be able to get a lossy version of Dolby Surround with atmos, but no such luck. I’ve been unable to get the atmos to fire on any system (if there is a fix, please let me know).

I’m thinking of purchasing an LG C9, but wanted to confirm with the community before I pull the trigger.

My setup will mainly get content through an external Apple TV 4K running into the eARC. Will I be able to get Atmos functionality through the AppleTVs Netflix, Prime, and iTunes movie apps?

There seems to be so many different answers, so if anyone can coalesce these answers - It would be greatly appreciated!

There seems to be a huge amount of confusion centered around the Sonos arc and dolby atmos compatibility.  I recently purchased and arc and sub gen 3. I have an older Samsung TV (2016) that doesn’t have an eARC connection. I figured I’d be able to get a lossy version of Dolby Surround with atmos, but no such luck. I’ve been unable to get the atmos to fire on any system (if there is a fix, please let me know).

I’m thinking of purchasing an LG C9, but wanted to confirm with the community before I pull the trigger.

My setup will mainly get content through an external Apple TV 4K running into the eARC. Will I be able to get Atmos functionality through the AppleTVs Netflix, Prime, and iTunes movie apps?

There seems to be so many different answers, so if anyone can coalesce these answers - It would be greatly appreciated!

The universal fix looks to be this device:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

It’s only on preorder right now, but the company appears to have a pretty good track record of providing quality products.  

My opinion on this would be to play around with your TVs audio config, and your sources to see if it works.  If you have older HDMI cables, maybe get updated ones to make sure they are HDMI 2.0.  If that fails then get the LG C9 if you want it for the picture quality. Don’t buy a TV for it’s ability to process audio.  Get this arcana product instead.

This is hugely disappointing. I have the same problem. 

The good news is you can drive DD 5.1 by setting the setting manually on the Apple TV. It just sucks that the best TV on the market with one of the best soundbars with the best streaming set top box can’t move between Atmos, 5.1, and 2.0 gracefully.

Hey all, my Arc was delivered this morning and I've had a chance to hook it up to my LG C9 directly via eARC and ran a few tests regarding Atmos and other features.

Built in apps:

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU)

Xbox One:

• HDMI Audio set to Bitstream out and Bistream Format set to Dolby Atmos has no delay, finally! Displays Dolby Atmos in Sonos app.

PS4:

NVidia Shield Pro:

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU). After connecting up to a US VPN it's reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• PLEX - This is where it gets slightly annoying. Playing TrueHD content it reports Stereo 2.0. Setting Passthrough to HDMI reports Dolby Atmos (TrueHD). For DTS content you need to switch the Passthrough setting to Optical which in turn causes TrueHD to playback in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

Apple TV:

• iTunes Content - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content. Non Atmos content reports Stereo 2.0. With Change Format > On and New Format > Dolby Digital 5.1, I receive Dolby Digital 5.1 from non-Atmos iTunes content. I ran this test using Beetlejuice and Avengers Assemble.

• Disney+ - Reporting Stereo 2.0 for all content bizarrely. Setting audio output on the Apple TV to Dolby 5.1 allows all content to playback in 5.1 rather than stereo.

Sound Out

HDMI ARC selected

eARC set to ON

Additional Settings

Hi, thanks for the above. One question, have you tried it with Sky Q?  If so, any audio delays?
thank  you. 

I have the 65” C9 also. Are there any lipsync issues with the Arc? I never had any with the beam but can see a lot of people get lipsync issues.

Badge

I have the 65” C9 also. Are there any lipsync issues with the Arc? I never had any with the beam but can see a lot of people get lipsync issues.

Hi,

I’m running an arc with a 65’ C9 with zero lip sync issues.

Bluray/PS4 fine, built in apps (Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, prime) all fine and sky Q fine.

Hi,

I’m running an arc with a 65’ C9 with zero lip sync issues.

Bluray/PS4 fine, built in apps (Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, prime) all fine and sky Q fine.

Thank you :) I've just gone out and bought one. Couldn't resist! 

Built in apps:

Xbox One:

PS4:

NVidia Shield Pro:

Apple TV:

Sound Out

HDMI ARC selected

eARC set to ON

Additional Settings

Where is the 'DTV Audio Setting set to auto'?

Mike010101,

DTV Audio is located at “Settings/Sound/Additional Settings"

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mike010101,

That’s for Digital TV channels. As in your satellite channels, not your HDMI inputs.

Mike010101,

That’s for Digital TV channels. As in your satellite channels, not your HDMI inputs.

Ok, I don't have satellite, so maybe that's why I don't see it there.  My set top box is connected to my tv via hdmi

Thank you both

Mike010101,

I was just answering the question and pointing out where the TV setting is located on the C9. I don’t have satellite either and there’s only digital TV channels here in the U.K. There’s no analog channels? Anyhow this is the info displayed, concerning the ‘audio output’ if that helps at all.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mike010101,

I was just answering the question and pointing out where the TV setting is located on the C9. I don’t have satellite either and there’s only digital TV channels here in the U.K. There’s no analog channels? Anyhow this is the info displayed, concerning the ‘audio output’ if that helps at all.

Digital TV is DTV.

Mike010101,

Digital TV is DTV.

huh...and 🤔? ...(As stated I was just answering Mike010101’s question as to where the setting is located on the C9 TV).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The point is that it has nothing to do with his problem or this thread to begin with. You’re welcome.

The point is that it has nothing to do with his problem or this thread to begin with. You’re welcome.

Mike010101 has only posted the one question in this thread and to quote his post... "Where is the 'DTV Audio Setting set to auto'?”

I can’t help it being off topic, that’s something you may wish to address with him, but it’s clear to me that he was merely trying to perhaps check/copy the C9 settings that were working for Zophop.

I was just explaining where he could find that TV setting.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mike010101 has only posted the one question in this thread and to quote his post... "Where is the 'DTV Audio Setting set to auto'?”

I can’t help it being off topic, that’s something you may wish to address with him, but it’s clear to me that he was merely trying to perhaps check/copy the C9 settings that were working for Zophop.

I was just explaining where he could find that TV setting.

And I explained what it does. I don’t understand your problem here?