Just hooked up two Play:1s as surrounds ...

• 1 January 2014
  • 20 replies

Badge
... Wow! They sound amazing. I happened to have Lord of the Rings on, and as soon as the surrounds were installed, the difference was immediate and awesome. Much better than I expected.

I already have a high end surround system in another room, so I thought my wife was crazy for buying me these Play:1s for Christmas. Actually thought about returning them. But now - no way! The Playbar with the Play:1 surrounds already sounds better than my other system. Just lacking the bass of the sub, but honestly, not a big issue, as the bass is still very good.

Great job Sonos! Now just have a 50% off sale on the Sub, and I will be in home theater heaven.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Rash,

Even at 100% SUB is a great deal. SUB is in a special class. I know that SUB seems expensive to many, but those who have it don't regret the purchase and will not give it up.
Badge
Yea, I am slowly resigning myself to the fact that I will eventually own the SUB. Just gotta do some creative adjusting to the budget, and then lie about what it costs to the better half.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Yea, I am slowly resigning myself to the fact that I will eventually own the SUB. Just gotta do some creative adjusting to the budget, and then lie about what it costs to the better half.

In my experience the Sub is not matched to the surround solution. It's too powerful and the lack of ability to add front L/R speakers drowns out the front channels. I would avoid the investment because you will have a disappointingly unbalanced system and no way to correct it.
It's been 5 years, smarty-pants, safe to assume he's already made a decision ;)
There's a slider to adjust the subs intensity. Mine is at 50% and just fine
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hopefully others, with the same type of concern/question can benefit from my feedback.
Hopefully others, with the same type of concern/question can benefit from my feedback.

Your feedback is neither knowledgeable, nor informative. The Sub level can easily be balanced with the other units, either via Truplay, or the manual slider in the room settings.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Your feedback is neither knowledgeable, nor informative. The Sub level can easily be balanced with the other units, either via Truplay, or the manual slider in the room settings.

The reply comes from first-hand knowledge of owning and using the system and informs them of my experience, which they can add to their purchase decision-making process. --> Why pay so much for a sub that must be turned down? Overall, as it stands, I think it's better to look at other solutions than what Sonos provides for 5.1 at this price point. I sincerely hope this helps others, so that they don't make the same mistake I made.

The reply comes from first-hand knowledge of owning and using the system and informs them of my experience, which they can add to their purchase decision-making process. --> Why pay so much for a sub that must be turned down? Overall, as it stands, I think it's better to look at other solutions than what Sonos provides for 5.1 at this price point. I sincerely hope this helps others, so that they don't make the same mistake I made.

All surround sound setups are tuned to the other components. Your expectations are quite unrealistic,

And why don'y you spell out the real reason for your disappointment? You are pissed off because your assumed Sonos was selling you a center speaker, when you really bought a soundbar, a completely different product. So now instead of owning your mistake, you are resurrecting old threads in order to bash Sonos. Right?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Incorrect, I expected a balanced 5.1 system when I purchased the Sub and did not get one. The logical solution is not possible, and Sonos will not confirm that it ever will be(dedicated R/L front speakers). I think that it is important for potential customers to know this to avoid making the same mistaken assumption that I did.

Why are you so eager for me to lie about my bad experience with the Beam, Sub and play:3s?
No, you expected to be able to use separate left and right speakers with a soundbar, which by definition already contain left, right and center speakers. That is most certainly not a ""logical solution", for no other soundbar manufacturer in history has offered that ype of configuration. You didn't do your research, and now you are angry at Sonos for your mistake, and are attempting to take out your anger by posting in multiple threads that the system is unbalanced when it is not when properly tuned.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
No, you expected to be able to use separate left and right speakers with a soundbar, which by definition already contain left, right and center speakers. That is most certainly not a ""logical solution", for no other soundbar manufacturer in history has offered that ype of configuration. You didn't do your research, and now you are angry at Sonos for your mistake, and are attempting to take out your anger by posting in multiple threads that the system is unbalanced when it is not when properly tuned.

You just pick and chose your facts. I did not plan to be unhappy and be harassed by you. If you consider the whole story, I'm sure that my experience is not unique, and it's preventable. Sonos sells itself, in part, as a brand that allows for modular configuration of its products thereby allowing for customers to buy, then later add other products. I did this and once I purchased their advertised 5.1 solution it did not sound good to me. Given that some of my investment was made earlier I cannot return the Sub and was hoping for a solution that would make the system sound good. And I have not received the confirmation that this will happen.

So anyone who wants, what I consider, an expensive and only mediocre 5.1 solution, please go ahead. But make sure you buy it all at once so that you can return it if you have the same experience as I did.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
As has already been stated, all soundbar systems are self contained. You can't expect an expansion, and it is hardly a logical solution. Sonos offers the amp for that type of function.

Once it is properly calibrated it would sound just fine.

Many are using the sub and are more than happy with the setup, and while it won't match a wired system it is definitely not what one would consider 'mediocre'

There is no similar system that would offer what you're looking for, you would be better off with a traditional receiver based system.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
As has already been stated, all soundbar systems are self contained. You can't expect an expansion, and it is hardly a logical solution. Sonos offers the amp for that type of function.

Once it is properly calibrated it would sound just fine.

Many are using the sub and are more than happy with the setup, and while it won't match a wired system it is definitely not what one would consider 'mediocre'

There is no similar system that would offer what you're looking for, you would be better off with a traditional receiver based system.

Being a Linn user in my main listening room, I was attracted to the modularity and ability to expand that Sonos advertises. Linn was a pioneer in turntables then DAC/FLAC, my Linn speakers use isobarik technology. I was hoping that Sonos would also function outside the traditional box, given their history and pedigree, I suppose they are now too large to be responsive enough to provide expansion beyond what all their competitors provide.

You should be thankful that you are happy and loyal to a company that provides what every other competitor provides and have no expectations of Sonos beyond them providing the industry standard.

And from my reading Amp is designed to be used with existing speakers can be used in the Sonos ecosystem and would not help with 5.1. Play:5 would be the top Sonos stereo pair option, also not usable to improve 5.1. In either case they cannot augment the existing, and mediocre, 5.1 implementation and if used in a room for music as stereo pairs would be redundant when listening to 5.1.

My suggestion is the best of both worlds, better 5.1 that leverage stereo pairs that are already in the room.

Just because I soundbar can be self contained, it does not mean it can't be used in 5 speaker/device setup.

I'm not sure why some of you refuse to accept that better, is better, and Sonos is not always correct.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
You are going off on another tangent. This is about what is currently available and expectations on how a soundbar system is meant to function.

A soundbar by design already contains the 3 channels, expanding upon that is not logical. They would need to create a new product that is purely a centre speaker, that can then be paired with the others.

The Amp is for connecting other speakers, and can also be paired with Sonos. One would connect a proper left and right speaker and then have a phantom centre channel.

When it comes to a wireless 5.1 solution Sonos does provide a reliable and great sounding solution. But it isn't for everyone. However, it functions exactly as advertised.

You simply did not do the research, are unhappy because it didn't meet unrealistic expectations and are then going off on anyone who contradicts your flawed logic.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
You are going off on another tangent. This is about what is currently available and expectations on how a soundbar system is meant to function.

A soundbar by design already contains the 3 channels, expanding upon that is not logical. They would need to create a new product that is purely a centre speaker, that can then be paired with the others.

The Amp is for connecting other speakers, and can also be paired with Sonos. One would connect a proper left and right speaker and then have a phantom centre channel.

When it comes to a wireless 5.1 solution Sonos does provide a reliable and great sounding solution. But it isn't for everyone. However, it functions exactly as advertised.

You simply did not do the research, are unhappy because it didn't meet unrealistic expectations and are then going off on anyone who contradicts your flawed logic.

Rationalize all you want, my point is that the system does not sound good to me, and I believe to any objective listener with a good ear and/or experience with a system at this price point. You're relentless cheerleading will not change my mind or help other dissatisfied and disappointed customers.

Again, I'm happy for you that you can't tell the difference and are happy with mediocrity.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
I don’t think anyone is questioning whether or not you are happy with the sound your setup produces. You have made it very clear that you are not.

The issue seems to be your insistence that a sound bar be a center channel speaker. A soundbar, regardless of the brand, is probably not going to be what you want. Soundbars contain center, as well as right and left speakers. There is nothing virtual about it. The separate channels are actually there, just closer together than in a wired system. This is fine for those that want to have a simple setup, but maybe not for those that want that full theater experience. I for one love Sonos, but keep my wired receiver and speaker separates for movies.

The fact remains, however, that no soundbar, by any manufacturer functions in the way that your original complaint focuses on. A soundbar is not designed to be a center channel speaker, they are designed to be a more compact, and wireless solution. The only way to create the setup you describe is to purchase a surround receiver and separate wired speakers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It is not rationalization, what has been stated are facts.

You are looking for something that doesn’t exist and it is clear you have no idea what you’re talking about so you really have no credibility.

Please do not respond any further.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Why not respond? Am I not also entitled to my opinion? Is your only way to feel like you are correct to prevent me from discussing this, and saying that I am not credible? Just because you don't agree, it does not make you correct and entitled to prevent me from responding.

After all, you cannot state that my feeling that the Sonos 5.1 solution is mediocre at this price point is incorrect because i am stating what I have experienced as a user. No matter how much you wish I liked my Sonos experience, it won't be true.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
You are rude and ignorant, and I purely asked you not to respond to me, but as with everything else you have to twist things to suit your favour. Please find something better to do with your time.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
How was I rude, or ignorant? Is it because I disagree with you? Because I dare to speak up with my thoughts and opinions on a public forum? Maybe because you know the Sonos system could be better, and the thought that we are all talking into the void unsettles and upsets you?