Answered

It's 2016! Make PlayBar Gen 2 for DTS / Fix Aux for Play 5 GEN 2

• 7 February 2016
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I know, it's another DTS thread. Sonos, I have used your products over many years. I am very impressed and right now, you are the Apple of Speakers when it comes to terms of quality and sound. I own 4 x P1s, 2 x P3, Sub + 2 x Gen 2 Play 5's and the very ... very... sad Playbar.

I have read many forums over the years and I have seen the anguish between many customers. I have never really commented because my patience was long and lasting... assuming one day you would care about this one point... but you are selling a locked eco-system that has the capability to drive customers mad. As I stated, you are the Apple of Speakers... but I feel like at times, there is a Steve Jobs at your company that is saying "no" to the bigger iPhone and watching customers endure the madness. What I am getting at is that it's 2016 and there are two things that are driving me mad (it's been a slow build up).

1. The new play 5's... the GEN 2s... some genius decided that the AUX ports are disabled when paired as a 5x1 theater system. For the first time, I was like... hey... I can use apple airplay (airport express) with my SONOS. Nope, I have two expensive speakers that when I use them as a theater system, the AUX ports do not work. So I sent an email and you thought it was a good idea... just a good idea... something that should have been standard from release. It's actually a main reason why I bought them and pushed over the play 3's. I can have upgraded speakers and use the AUX port when needed. When I disconnect them from the theater system, the AUX port shows back up... how convenient.

2. The DTS issue. I understand that over time, this may have not seemed like a big deal. You have to understand everything is moving to 1080p - 2160p and 4k. Audio is moving towards that direction also. I have implemented solutions where the audio splits so I can get 5.1 with the soundbar... but there needs to be some announcement in regards to a solution (and I respect the current play bar cannot handle it). Maybe the solution is a GEN2 speaker. Me personally, I would pay $999+ if you have a new sound bar that could accept hi-def connections... just as you created the GEN2 Play 5's.

Anyways, I can no longer defend SONOS. I am getting mad. If you know your going to create a locked eco-system and have consumers invest in an expensive theater system... you should listen to this one part. You see endless threads on it. Your right... I can just walk away, but you had me invest into an eco-system and you sold something that was only partially true. I know your response team reads this and there is a complicated process to make products. This is why Samsung and other companies can never match you... but a company that offers consumers a high-def system for twice the price.. I would be willing to toss every speaker on eBay and switch. My friends laugh at the SONOS system that pushes only... STEREO... unless there is a work around.

As of now, there is no worry because no one can match your quality... yet. Please create a GEN2 play bar... I bet people will pay even more... but in the end... your products are always worth it and that's why I would purchase it. Fix the DTS weakness (and please fire the engineers or quality control team who thought the AUX ports being disabled for the new GEN2's when used as a theater system - joking... but it's like selling a TESLA that requires a manual crank to start the car).

I mean well and write this because I care about the organization and I'm not here to randomly complain. Do something... than state what we already know.
icon

Best answer by tiago 15 February 2016, 00:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Well, we can hold out some hope for the next device they release. I've got too much invested in Sonos devices to just leave because I'm upset (which I'm not). Honestly, the system works well the way it is. Sure, I wouldn't mind more, but it's not like it's performing any differently today than it was yesterday.

But sure, if you were to offer me the job of CEO at Sonos, I'd be happy to evaluate direction. But, I suspect that the current folks have been doing that for a long time, and based their decisions on what the true marketplace is looking for. My perception is that the folks who tend to post on these boards are the 1%, and not necessarily representative of the entire marketplace, particularly of those that Sonos may be going after.

Just dumped everythign on ebay. Google connect is now the thing. I love it!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Can't believe that new Soundbase has been announced without support for HDMI and DTS etc. SONOS need to get their act together over this as I can't justify dumping my separate surround sound set up without this functionality even though I use SONOS extensively elsewhere.

It's an insult. This was the last straw and now selling everything. Google home along with true multicasting around the house and talking to a speaker is great. Jamming now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can't believe that new Soundbase has been announced without support for HDMI and DTS etc. SONOS need to get their act together over this as I can't justify dumping my separate surround sound set up without this functionality even though I use SONOS extensively elsewhere.

It's an insult. This was the last straw and now selling everything. Google home along with true multicasting around the house and talking to a speaker is great. Jamming now!

Great! I'm happy for you. Enjoy your interactions on a different support/community forum.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I made peace with this issue (TOSLINK on PlayBar only, can only use Sonos speakers or CONNECT:AMP as surrounds, no 7.1 or Dolby Atmos support, etc...) and what I've come to is that in my main viewing room, I have a PlayBar (connected via TOSLINK) to the flat panel, a Sonos SUB for sub stuff and a CONNECT:AMP to drive a pair of rear speakers and all this controlled via a Logitech Harmony Elite remote control. This is a "good enough/easy to use" audio and remote control system. I also have a 7.1 receiver that is fed the HDMI from an HDMI extender (one output goes to the panel via a CAT6 extender and that extender has an HDMI loop output that provides essentially a duplicate of the HDMI output port that is on the far end by the panel, I use this loop output to feed my 7.1 receiver). All HDMI switching is done with a 5x1 HDMI switcher. Now when my wife or kids want to watch something, the Sonos audio system is a piece of cake, it all just works well enough. When I (or we) want to do serious watching with serious sound, I have my 7.1 receiver drive the speakers, using a relay control to disconnect the rear surrounds form the CONNECT:AMP and connect them to the receiver, and the receiver also drives an 18" Velodyne subwoofer for real bass. So I basically have to have two distinct audio systems in the room to handle the simple/family friendly case (Sonos does that) and to cater to serious watchers/listeners. I've given up trying to coerce Sonos into doing stuff it wasn't designed to do, and for 90% of what I use it for, it's perfectly adequate and a great whole house audio system.
My wife just bought us a Sonos 5.1 system. I really want to like it. We lived in Santa Barbara for years, and know quite a few Sonos employees/execs, so we want to support it. But with the lack of DTS support and HDMI inputs, I just can't do it. Sorry Sonos, but you've lost our business. Sonos' position on DTS and HDMI is completely contradictory to their mission/value statement. The future is being able to integrate high quality home theater with a full home experience. In my opinion, Sonos is missing the boat on a huge market segment. After a ton of research, WiSA seems to be the answer... looking at Axiim, and in my opinion, the extra $800 or so is worth it, and certainly more future-proof vs. Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yep my play 5s will be up for sale soon, Moved to a Yamaha receiver and music cast, 5.1 all the formats I need from all the sources I need. :)
Bye Sonos