Question

Intermittent Atmos - Samsung Q90R

Badge

Set up the Arc on Friday. Played Atmos on both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Saturday morning the Atmos had switched to 5.1. I’m in the UK and thought perhaps it was due to lower bit rates due to Covid-19. Saturday night Atmos was back. Sunday and today, just getting 5.1.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues or perhaps has an idea why this might be happening? Very frustrating.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge

Arc is connected to HDMI 3 of the One Connect. Selected DD+ when connected to Netflix. Also have the Atmos option ticked in sound settings on the TV.

I’ve double checked my connections, tried Amazon and Netflix again.  Still no luck being able to select DD plus on Samsung 65Q90R.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You might want to compare the firmware versions of the TV that works, and the TV that does not.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Samsung has been promising a Firmware update for the Q900 for a while - The update is suppose to upgrade the ARC to eARC - they did this with the Q90 soundbar. I have recently noticed in the Expert settings of my ‘ QN65Q900RBFXZA’ dolby atmos setting which I do not remember seeing in the past. It says ‘option for 'Dolby Atmos Compatibility' the explanation says 'Set it to On if the audio device connected via HDMI (ARC) port supports Dolby Atmos. The screen the screen may flicker when switching between settings' I can not test this yet as my ARC has not arrived but I can only assume it means the Q900R will support DA. My particular FW version is 1356 and I am in the US.

Badge

You might want to compare the firmware versions of the TV that works, and the TV that does not.

We’re on version 1356.

Badge

I’m on version 1356.2 and not getting Dolby Digital plus or Atmos.  Contacted Samsung support and they sent me a link to the manual to troubleshoot. Sheesh. Thanks Samsung.  I read on one of the forums that the 1356 FW update broke Dolby.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Bdubs, I am on the same FW but I get DD+ and Atmos. Q60R

Badge

Factory reset of the TV solved the problem. Now getting ATMOS on native TV apps Netflix and Prime!

Badge

Factory reset of the TV solved the problem. Now getting ATMOS on native TV apps Netflix and Prime!

Thinking about it, we did a factory reset last week too because of the Atmos being intermittent. Glad you’ve got it sorted.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just setup Sonos Arc with Apple TV 4K and Samsung Q7D 85” w/ ARC.  Native Netflix and Prime apps from Samsung hub display Dolby Atmos through DD+.  My Sonos app also displays Dolby Atmos.

When streaming through Apple TV, I only get DD 5.1.  Wish apple would come up w/ an update.

If there is a streaming device that has 2 HDMI outputs, one w/ eARC out and 1 regular HDMI output, can  the eARC connect to Sonos Arc and the other HDMI connect to the TV to get lossless Atmos TrueHD?  Will something like this ever work to take advantage of Sonos Arc to output full Dolby Atmos?