If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Badge

Hmmm, this has me rethinking my Sonos Arc preorder.  My second choice is the Sennheiser Ambeo, but those can develop a glaring problem over time (center channel becomes muffled for some reason).  It’s also around three times more expensive than the Sonos Arc.

Only reason I’m trying to replace my 3.1 system is I want Dolby Atmos when watching all this new Dolby Atmos content and I cannot add separate Atmos and rear speakers.

I did find switching the video mode to Gaming helped quite a bit. The less processing the screen has to due the less latency.

I have been tinkering with settings for over a year and still having issues...I’m ready to try the audio extractor. I have an LG B7 OLED, Apple TV 4K and playbar. Obviously, I don’t want to lose 4K or HDR. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? 

OREI HDA-912 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHYXVTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z.o5EbNVMWN4H

There is also a 4K Arc version as well, should I need that?  I was just thinking I’d run Apple TV to the extractor. HDMI from Extractor to TV and optical output from extractor to HDMI. 

Thoughts?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi All,

I have a LGC7 OLed, Sky Q, ATV and a Sonos Beam. I had the much talked about lip sync issue when using sky Q. I fixed this by using an Optical switcher. I am interested in the new Sonos Arc sound bar and want to ask if anyone has had lip sync issues with it and Sky Q so far? I know I could use the HDMI / optical converter like I do for the beam but then I would lose Atmos. I would also use it with ATV and an xbox one X as well.

I assume that the C7 that has Arc but not eArc will output Atmos.

thanks for any advice

Josh

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have been tinkering with settings for over a year and still having issues...I’m ready to try the audio extractor. I have an LG B7 OLED, Apple TV 4K and playbar. Obviously, I don’t want to lose 4K or HDR. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? 

OREI HDA-912 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHYXVTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z.o5EbNVMWN4H

There is also a 4K Arc version as well, should I need that?  I was just thinking I’d run Apple TV to the extractor. HDMI from Extractor to TV and optical output from extractor to HDMI. 

Thoughts?

Do you have any addition source devices other than the ATV?  If so, you may want to find one with more HDMI inputs.  I bought a product from J-Tech that’s also a good brand. 

Thoughts?

Do you have any addition source devices other than the ATV?  If so, you may want to find one with more HDMI inputs.  I bought a product from J-Tech that’s also a good brand. 

No - just the Apple TV. That said, the ARC version also has more inputs as well. Not sure if I need that or not...

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thoughts?

No - just the Apple TV. That said, the ARC version also has more inputs as well. Not sure if I need that or not...

I did some additional browsing of this Orei.  You may want to check their web site directly for other related products that I did not see on Amazon.  I’m not sure if they are new models with more features.  Please let me know how this goes, because I bought a Optical In (3) to Opital Out (1). (which uses the Optical to HDMI adapter for my Beam.  I am interested in knowing if what you considering will work and also pass the DD+, which the Optical does not. 

Badge

My Sonos Beam still has a lip-sync delay and i’m now considering an optical switch as many have said this solves the problem. 

How does this work exactly - i have searched you tube and can’t see anyone giving instructions to complete novices as to how to set this up. Have i got this right 

Tv’s Arc hdmi to the switch’s hdmi slot that says ‘out’ 

Optical adapter supplied by sonos into the slot that says toslink and then back into the beam.

Will that then get rid of the lip sync?

If i then put an amazon fire stick into one of the switchers hdmi ports would the sound play through that hdmi channel?

It all seems very confusing - i love the sound of sonos but the audio delays are maddening.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the switch that has been recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techole-Aluminum-Splitter-Switcher-Projector-Black/dp/B07KSYS2L4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3HBURFEEVYAQW&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+switch+4k&qid=1592232631&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+switch%2Celectronics%2C161&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNTc2QzQ3V0UzUURaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTEwMjc5M0pESDI5UUpLR0NNNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzYyNTQ2MlM2SDhFTjc2VFVRRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It's absolutely disgusting hat between LG especially and Sonos that this hasn't been worked out. This is all very expensive equipment that people work hard to pay for, and you get two products which cant even get something so fundamental like Lip Sync right?

I keep checking for a class action lawsuit to be started against LG. Their frontline staff are absolutely useless and just knowingly make things up to get people off the phone. Don't underestimate their desire to wear everyone out until the issue just stops being talked about and we just forget we are using stereo on our TV's instead of Dolby.

As for Sonos, get with the last decade and put a darn HDMI Port on your Playbar and Playbase. HDMI ARC would have solved this whole issue.

I have two beams. Connected to both LG and Samsung TV’s. The sync issue is bad on both. Shocking for the money you pay. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

After many months on the Optical I tried the HDMI ARC port again.  Lo and behold, it’s not giving the audio delay.  I keep track of the firmware updates on the TV and maybe the the S2 update to Beam did something - no idea.  But here’s one odd thing, the audio was now slightly faster than the video.  Almost imperceptible.  So using the TV Sound/Expert settings, I added a slight delay.  

FYI: This is on a Samsung 2019 75” Q80R

My Sonos Beam still has a lip-sync delay and i’m now considering an optical switch as many have said this solves the problem. 

How does this work exactly - i have searched you tube and can’t see anyone giving instructions to complete novices as to how to set this up. Have i got this right 

Tv’s Arc hdmi to the switch’s hdmi slot that says ‘out’ 

Optical adapter supplied by sonos into the slot that says toslink and then back into the beam.

Will that then get rid of the lip sync?

If i then put an amazon fire stick into one of the switchers hdmi ports would the sound play through that hdmi channel?

It all seems very confusing - i love the sound of sonos but the audio delays are maddening.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the switch that has been recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techole-Aluminum-Splitter-Switcher-Projector-Black/dp/B07KSYS2L4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3HBURFEEVYAQW&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+switch+4k&qid=1592232631&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+switch%2Celectronics%2C161&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNTc2QzQ3V0UzUURaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTEwMjc5M0pESDI5UUpLR0NNNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzYyNTQ2MlM2SDhFTjc2VFVRRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Hi mate I'm in the same boat as you with the Firestick and a Panasonic TV.  Netflix works fine with stereo 2.0 but sound delay on Dolby settings for 5.1.  did you try the switch from Amazon?

The built in TV Netflix app seems to work ok.  But ide rather use the Firestick! So annoying!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

After many months on the Optical I tried the HDMI ARC port again.  Lo and behold, it’s not giving the audio delay.  I keep track of the firmware updates on the TV and maybe the the S2 update to Beam did something - no idea.  But here’s one odd thing, the audio was now slightly faster than the video.  Almost imperceptible.  So using the TV Sound/Expert settings, I added a slight delay.  

FYI: This is on a Samsung 2019 75” Q80R

The delay is BACK!!.    It appears the Xfinity box as a HDMI source is definitely worse than the in-TV apps, which is pratically perfect.  I also put a 18gbps HDMI cable on the Xfinity to TV connection and that didn’t seem to help.  I did try a high-speed HDMI cable with Ethernet for the HDMI-ARC to Sonos.  It’s better than the Sonos included cable but still annoying.  I’ll be probably switching back to the Optical which at least does not pose that problem.

OLED LG CX 48 (with eARC).  No external devices, just using LG WebOS apps for Amazon, Netflix, and HBO Max (cast).

I need advice.  I have not yet purchased a Sonos bar.  (I do have the Sonos One rears, though.)

I am trying to decide between a Beam (fits better spacewise) and an ARC.  I really, really do not want to have to tinker around with lipsync issues.  Is the Sonos ARC truly superior in the lipsync-tinker area to the Beam?  Does the Beam have lipsync issues in my configuration (i.e., internal apps only)?

PS: It is 2020 now.  TVs have microphones.  Why can’t they figure out for themselves what the right lipsync is?  Similarly, why can’t Sonos speaker with their (ARM?) CPUs figure out for themselves whether they are calibrated right?  This all seems arcane.

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

I have identical issues with my arc/Sony Bravia. Does anyone out there have a solution 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I thought I’d share my update with this thread.  For those that haven’t followed my response or simply forgot.  I had (yes, now past tense) a Samsung 2019 75” Q80R, which had extremely audio lag.  I had “fixed” it by using a HDMI cable from the DVR to TV.  And separate a Optical from the DVR to the Beam incorporating the Optical/HDMI Adapter.  My Beam has a Ethernet wired connection to my router.  I also have two One’s for the L/R Surrounds.

I realized after much trials, that it was the Samsung with the problem using the HDMI-A.R.C. port.  In May I reported it to Samsung.  After first going through their scripted process of resetting and rebooting, that was no luck.  I knew that wouldn’t help, but had to do it anyway so that I could say that didn’t work to them.  Next they had me put in a Repair Ticket.  After waiting a week and getting no response, I called back only to learn that the Repair vendor that had chosen, would be unable to get to me for 3 months, which we both agreed was unacceptable.  They informed me that I would have my case escalated.

After two weeks, I called and Samsung said they also could not get it repaired.  And that another department would contact me.  I got a call from Samsung a about a week later in June and I was informed that they could not get a repair service to me.  And that they called me informed me to let me know they were going to refund the price I paid for the TV and come pick it up.  I was shocked.

The next steps to getting that done, took two more months - lot’s of red-tape and approvals that always took longer than they said it would be.  FYI, I was calling them once a week to see where the process was, hoping that my calls would help to move it along.  

Finally, I received a phone number for a trucking company who made an appointment to pick it up in mid-August.  Although, I was supposed to get my funds deposited in my bank account with 2 days, that also took another week.

Epilogue, I took the money from the Samsung.  Added a little more and bought a Sony 75” XBR-X950H.Before having it mounted back on the wall, I just set it up on it’s stand and tried EVERY feature, including the Sonos Beam using the HDMI-ARC port.  This TV has given me NO audio lag.  No special adjustments.  It just works like it’s supposed to.  So in the order of money flow, Samsung paid me to buy a Sony!

Thanks for everyone’s help on this forum for the advice regarding the Optical cable solution.  That did work, but for the money that being spent, I wanted the HMDI-ARC port to work.  

Now I’m considering upgrading from the Beam to the Sonos Arc (I still think they should have chose a different name for it).   I’ll wait until December and see.

Epilogue, I took the money from the Samsung.  Added a little more and bought a Sony 75” XBR-X950H.Before having it mounted back on the wall, I just set it up on it’s stand and tried EVERY feature, including the Sonos Beam using the HDMI-ARC port.  This TV has given me NO audio lag.  No special adjustments.  It just works like it’s supposed to. 

That’s great to hear! I just initiated a Best Buy return for my Q90T for the same problem. I also decided on the 75” X950H as my replacement. Although I have the older Playbar, it’s nice to hear of your success with the Beam, gives me some hope.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@kevmonster I got the TV in November.  But didn’t get the Beam until early January, so I couldn’t return the set.  Amazon gives 30 days to return.  Best Buy gives 15 days I think.  So everything I did had to go directly through Samsung.  I bought the X950H through Crutchfield.

Got an Xbox One X, LG OLED C7 and just went all in on Sonos Arc, sub and play1 rears.

So disappointed to find the huge audio delay from my Xbox in Atmos mode... its terrible.

Got an Xbox One X, LG OLED C7 and just went all in on Sonos Arc, sub and play1 rears.

So disappointed to find the huge audio delay from my Xbox in Atmos mode... its terrible.

Try implementing the LG TV AV Sync adjustment feature, if your older model has this feature. See link…

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-av-sync-adjustment-CT10000018-1387832191561

Try implementing the LG TV AV Sync adjustment feature, if your older model has this feature. See link…

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-av-sync-adjustment-CT10000018-1387832191561

Thanks - yes already tried playing with that setting, made no noticeable difference. I think the main issue is the TV - I have ordered an HD Fury Arcana which will hopefully solve the issue.

Thanks - yes already tried playing with that setting, made no noticeable difference. I think the main issue is the TV - I have ordered an HD Fury Arcana which will hopefully solve the issue.

Please keep us posted!

Also, just for information, what splitter or switch to you have to go with it?

Also, I understand that lip sync issues can be fixed by extracting the audio from the source before it arrives to the tv and send it directly to the soundbar.

My problem is that I have a bit of a lip sync on my Beam, when using the tv’s built in apps too.
I have activated Bypass and it’s better, but stil… it’s there.

Anybody experienced that and found a solution -other than buying a switch and a chromecast or other streaming device?

Please keep us posted!

Also, just for information, what splitter or switch to you have to go with it?

Yep HD Fury Arcana fixes the issue, just received it today. I dont have a splitter or switch, only have Xbox into the Arcana….. Chromecast is plugged into tv. Audio working great on everything… xbox, tv apps, chromecast.

Annoyed I had to spend an extra $200usd to fix the issue, but glad its working.

Just ordered a Beam and 2 one SLs, this will be my plunge into the Sonos ecosystem but I have read that Sony Bravia TVs seem to have some lip syncing issues. I have had similar issues with an HDMI ARC soundbar (TCL) that I just returned that was used with our 55” Sony X900E and this had lip syncing issues that I could not solve. I understand that it is the TVs fault in the way it processes the audio. To keep this short and sweet I will be using this with a 65” Sony X900H what is the best option to remedy this issue? Audio extractor, switch, etc? How does this affect controlling the volume on the beam as well?

Just looking to figure this all out before we move into our new home in November!

Beam should be here tomorrow.

Thanks,

Playbar with lg c9. same issues. heavy sound delay when using external sources like ps4