Question

How to obtain surround 5.0 or 5.1 sound with Samsung QLED TV while keeping Samsung Smart Remote as the only remote control?

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 6 replies
Hello All,

My living-room is equipped with a Samsung 65’ QLED TV and 5 Sonos Play-1 (2 in the front, left and right to my TV, 2 in the back, left and right to where I sit watching TV, 1 just below my TV). All the Play-1, except for the 2 Play-1 in the back, are “inside” a custom-designed piece of furniture.

What extra component do I need to be able to enjoy 5.0 (I don’t want the SUB) sound?
If the SUB is really needed then I’d be willing to go for it to enjoy 5.1 however this is not my main request.

I am not interested in the Sonos playbar because 1. I want to keep using only one remote control which in my case is the Samsung Smart One remote control (using RF and not IR) and 2. The Sonos playbar would probably not be producing quality sound from where it would be located “inside” the furniture. Unless I’m mistaken?

Kind Regards,

Thomas

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Without a Playbar, you'd have nothing that could decode the Dolby Digital signal and send it out to the various components.

There's no easy/cheap/functional way to do what you want with just Play:1s.
Badge +1
Thx. And I am or not mistaken that my Samsung RF remote control won't be able to learn the IR codes from Sonos Playbar remote control?
From what I've read in these boards all over the place, if you tell the remote that it's using another soundbar of indeterminate type (you'd really need to do some search on this, since it doesn't impact me, i don't have it memorized) it would turn on the IR on the front of the remote for that purpose, and then you'd be able to use it as both RF and IR. But seriously, that's from vague memory of the multiple threads I've read. As I say, it's not something I'm 100% sure about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Bruce has it right as far as the Playbar (and also the Playbase, technically) goes. Both are the only Sonos components that can decode the digital 5.1 signal, and both are also the only Sonos components with IR Sensors.

The premise behind the IR sensor on the Playbar and Playbase is that you would take your existing TV remote and have Sonos learn the volume up, down, and mute IR codes. That would allow you to keep using your existing TV remote. But then TV manufacturers started doing RF remotes. But Samsung's universal remote still functions as IR... it just needs to be told to do so based on the device setup.

So... in setting up Samsung's universal remote, you can either tell it you're using another brand's home theater system, fail the first test so that it uses IR, then pass the second one. Then have Sonos learn the IR codes that you've told the TV to send. Or you can type in Sonos as the home theater manufacturer, and you shouldn't need to do anything else on Sonos' end. Make sure, though, that you select to use the home theater with your other input devices also... otherwise the TV remote won't control the Sonos volume when you're using your Xbox, PS4, Blu-ray player, Apple TV, Roku, or whatever other device you have connected to your TV.
Badge +1
Thx Bruce and Mike,

I guess I'm left with one last question then 😉 Would you think placing the soundbar vertically right to my TV (see attached picture), inside the cabinet, would work well?

Cheers

Thomas
Would it work? Yea, probably. Would it keep left and right separated properly? Nope, I wouldn't' expect it to. It certainly isn't what I'd recommend. You're in a pickle, as they say, with that cabinet. If it were me, I'd try to find some sort of shelf that I could screw in under the TV, came out to the lip of the shelf, went down a few inches, and then back out straight long enough to hold the Playbar. It would block the top part of your book shelves that are there, but for the sound, to me it would be worth it. Where I live, there's a Plexiglass maker who will make items to order. I've used them in the past to make a shelf that sat on top of my old Sony rear projection TV to hold the playbar. Turned out pretty well, IMHO. But now I've got a new TV, and it sits on some IKEA stuff, with bookshelves keeping the TV screen up high enough to clear the Playbar.
Badge +1
Thx again 🙂 Bruce
I don't really want to block any part of the book shelf :)
What if I would manage to move up the TV a bit so I can place the Playbar directly underneath it? Would this placement allow for good use of the Playbar?
Thx a lot
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Thx again 🙂 Bruce
I don't really want to block any part of the book shelf :)
What if I would manage to move up the TV a bit so I can place the Playbar directly underneath it? Would this placement allow for good use of the Playbar?
Thx a lot

Hey Lekub - I thought I would hop in here and let you know that this would be preferred. The PLAYBAR was designed for specific orientations and placing it vertically will not allow for the PLAYBAR to maximize its full soundscape. Just make sure the TV doesn't end up resting or placing any weight on the PLAYBAR.
You're welcome. And yes, if you can lift the TV enough (change mounting points?) so that the Playbar can fit underneath without supporting any weight, that would be perfect. And pretty close to what I have, which works well!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thx. And I am or not mistaken that my Samsung RF remote control won't be able to learn the IR codes from Sonos Playbar remote control?

Sonos Playbar and QLED

My One Connect box is inside a closed cabinet and the Sonos Playbar receives the IR commands directly from the One Control.

It is working for me at every input, tested on HDMI1 (PlayStation 4), HDMI2 Nintendo Switch and Apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc).

Instructions on Samsung TV:
Go to Settings -> Universal Remote -> New Device
Select Device Type: Home Theatre System
Select Brand: Samsung
Select Home Cinema Configuration: Optical
Start "Power Test" and always hit "No" (unsuccessful) until the 4th power test, there select Yes (home theatre system turned on/off). (This will emit an IR signal)

After this the Sonos Playbar can understand the IR commands emitted by the One Remote, without the One Connect box needing to be in line-of-sight.

Change remote on Sonos Playbar:
Start the Sonos App
Go to More -> Settings -> Room Settings-> Room with TV/Playbar -> TV -> Remote control setup

Follow on-screen instructions, you will have to learn Volume Up/Down and Mute.

The easiest way to test whether the remote is firing IR volume commands is by opening the camera app on your phone, pointing the remote straight at the camera and pressing one of the volume buttons. If the remote is firing IR commands, you'll be able to see a purple light in the corner flash in addition to the red light on your phone screen.

Once your One Remote is firing IR commands, you can get the Playbar to learn the remote control commands in the "Room Settings" part of the Sonos app.