Question

How to get a volume indicator with playbar?

I have the playbar connected to a new uhd Samsung television. Everything seems to work fine except there is no indication of the volume level anywhere. I'm using optical to connect the playbar to the Samsung TV. Is there any way to get the volume level to show somewhere? It's really annoying not seeing a number or indicator change as the volume changes. Thanks for any help/insight

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I'm afraid that the only volume indicator for the play bar is your sonos app. So your iOS device, your Android device or your computer. You can still change the volume of your play bar with your tv remote though - if you choose to set that up at setup.
Wow that's fairly short sighted on sonos's part. I was worried about not having hdmi..... Thanks for your help though!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Wow that's fairly short sighted on sonos's part. I was worried about not having hdmi..... Thanks for your help though!
I suppose you'll just have to do it by ear .
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Not sure about this. 
The Playbar can only receive/send audio (Optical Audio is strictly an audio source) so that must be your TV displaying that on its own accord. Maybe the LG has an indicator which shows what volume it's outputting through the optical audio cable, but it's definitely not the Playbar sending info to the TV. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Not sure about this. 
Hey Josh, you probably right.
My TV has two settings for optical out
  • generic (Optical/HDMI/ARC) with DD/DTS etc. conversion
  • LG Soundbar (Optical) with PCM only
Likely the TV uses the volume interface from the LG option.

Didn't mean to mislead anybody, sorry.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Im having the same problem with my LG tv. When i use the external speaker (optical/hdmi arc) out to the sonos playbar i get no on screen volume level like i do with everything else.
Badge
I believe I figured this out for LG TVs Web 2.0

Under settings go to Sound > scroll to Sound Out > Change to LG Sound Sync (Optical)

Now make sure your volume is all the way down on both the TV and Sonos.

When you press volume up, Sonos will go up and the volume indicator will also go up. If these get out of sync just reset by going all the way to volume 0.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Under settings go to Sound > scroll to Sound Out > Change to LG Sound Sync (Optical)

When you press volume up, Sonos will go up and the volume indicator will also go up. If these get out of sync just reset by going all the way to volume 0.

I have tried this but after a few volume changes it quickly becomes out of sync.I have just got used to not having a volume indicator.

This worked! Thank you!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I have tried this but after a few volume changes it quickly becomes out of sync.I have just got used to not having a volume indicator.

Same here.