HOW TO CONNECT SONOS ARC TO PROJECTOR EPSON EH-TW9400

• Contributor I
  • 8 replies

I am a new owner of Sonos system (Arc, Sub and 2 One).

I'd like to ask if it's possible to connect an EPSON EH-TW9400 projector (no HDMI output or optical port) to my Sonos Arc to get audio dolby atmos.

Is it possible If I use HDfury Arcana or any other HDMI adapter?

Thank you in advance.

17 replies

There is the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the latest, is the OREI HDA-935. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, or check your local retailers for availability. Amazon may carry some, depending on location.

Any of those three will act a a eARC splitter on the incoming HDMI signal and give you Atmos, assuming the source is in Atmos. 

@Airgetlam, I do appreciate for your instant answer!

HDfury Arcana is much more expensive than the other two devices, while it has just one HDMI input port. Do you know if there is any difference regarding the audio and video quality among them?

Is it possible to use one of the above HDMI adapters to connect my EPSON EH-TW9400 projector (I repeat, no HDMI output or optical port - consider it as a simple 4K PC monitor), my sonos system and a TV BOX (for examble Nvidia shield pro - it provide dolby atmos and 4K video) and this setup will be capable to give dolby atmos sound and 4K video?

If I use as a source, my laptop or PC, instead of the TV BOX (Nvidia shield pro) will I get dolby atmos sound and 4K video?

I’m a “newborn” in home cinema world, so please forgive my detailed or rephrased questions. I just try to firuge out which is the best solution, avoiding waste money and time.

Thank you in advance!

No, I don’t, although HDMI 2.1 is a digital medium, as is eARC, I’d assume they’re all essentially the same, both for audio and video. 

Not sure I understand your second question. These devices sit between the source, which generates the HDMI, and the TV and Arc. Your audio and video come out of these devices. So if the source is generating an Atmos signal, that will be sent to the Arc. The same for any 4K video signal.

Does that answer your questions?

No need to apologize for being a “newbie”, we’ve all been one at one point or the other. Just want to be sure I’m answering the questions you have properly, and that the answer is understood. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

With an HDMI-ARc capable TV sounds need to go from your TV to the soundbar, via the Audio Return Channel. Normal (non-ARC) HDMI just sends video (and audio to the TV, or in your case to the projector (wheere you only need the video - the audio goes from the Shiled through the Arcana/Feintech/OREI straight through to the soundbar.

I have read at least the Arcana needs to be set up with a HDMI-ARC capable TV first. Aftre this set up it can be used with a projector.

I’m very grateful for your answers! They are very helpful!

Last but not least, I’d like to ask about HDMI cables (just to be sure).

1. What kind of HDMI cable should I buy to connect the non eArc capable projector to Arcana/ Feintech/OREI in order to get 4K video . Can be HDMI 2.0 or must be 2.1?

2. What kind of HDMI cable should I buy to connect the source (Nvidia Shield or laptop/PC) to Arcana/ Feintech/OREI in order to get 4K video . Can be HDMI 2.0 or must be 2.1?

3. For the Sonos Arc, I suppose it has to be HDMI 2.1, right?

4. The projector is 15m away (I count the cable legth) from the Sonos Arc and 5m from the source (Nvidia or laptop/PC). I think it’s better to put the Arcana/ Feintech/OREI closer to the Sonos Arc, 5m HDMI cable), then the distance from the projector and from the source will be around 10m away from the Arcana/ Feintech/OREI. Which cables do you suggest to buy regarding the distance from each other? Do you thing that I should check the solution of an HDMI extender via ethernet?

PS: There is the option of using fiber optic HDMI to connect Epson EH-TW9400 to Arcana/ Feintech/OREI.

Thank you in advance.

Anyone about the HDMI cables? Please!!

You may want to read up on HDMI cables on wikipedia, which might tell you if 4K requires HDMI 2.1 or not. I don’t recall offhand, which is why I would encourage you to do the research yourself.

On the other hand, I’m not really sure that you can purchase HDMI 2.0 cables anymore. 

I would not be using an optical cable. The bandwidth available would then stop you from using anything other than Dolby Digital. 

Thank you for your answer!

There are many HDMI 2.0 available in the market. As far as I understand reading wiki and more, HDMI 2.0 can carry 4K video at 60 Hz.
So, in order to reduce the cost of the HDMI cables for Nvidia shield and the projector (10m away from the arcana), I think it’ better to buy 2 piece of HDMI 2.0 than HDMI 2.1 which is much more expensive.

The fiber optic HDMI cable can be used to connect Epson EH-TW9400 to Arcana to carry video, not audio. I thought may be better because of the 10m distance.

For the Sonos Arc, I suppose I must use HDMI 2.1 to connect it to Arcana, right?

Not sure, perhaps you might ask the HDFury folks, they’d know. 

For me, it’s always valuable to have the latest version, for things that may come up in the future, but may not necessary quite yet. There’s no value to me in having to purchase yet another cable, when I could have just spent a little more initally….but much less than the cost of fully replacing it. 

That being said, I think the current HDMI cable shipped from Sonos is 1.4, although that’s an assumption on my part. 

I asked the folks from HDfury but unfortunatelly they don’t know… Disappointing…

Let me ask another question.

If I connect the Arcana to Sonos Arc using an active HDMI 2.1 or an optical HDMI 2.1, is it possible to have dolby atmos audio?
If both of them are possible to work, which one is better?

Thank you in advance!

I asked the folks from HDfury but unfortunatelly they don’t know… Disappointing…

Let me ask another question.

If I connect the Arcana to Sonos Arc using an active HDMI 2.1 or an optical HDMI 2.1, is it possible to have dolby atmos audio?
If both of them are possible to work, which one is better?

Thank you in advance!

Use the cable that come with the Arc to connect Arcana to Arc.  Active HDMI should be used for longer distance runs, and shouldn’t be necessary assuming the Arcana is placed on the same side of the room as your Arc.  Active cable is probably what you want to use to Connect your Arcana to the projector, assuming they are on different sides of the room.  I use Active cables with some outside TVs, where the source and Sonos amps are  20+ft away.  No issues, although it’s 4k 60hz and 2.0 audio in those cases.

Also, per your earlier question regarding video quality, HD Fury is primarily about video quality and specializes in things like converting dolby vision to HDR, or downgrading video when using multiple displays of different quality.  So generally, they are going to be better for video, but depending on your projector and specific needs, might be overkill or unusable for you.  Also they have the VRROOM which contains all the Arcana functionality plus HD switching capabilities.  Very costly though.

It’s not possilbe to use the cable that comes with the Arc to connect Arcana to Arc, because of the distance. There are the following 3 possible options (setups)
Option 1: The Arcana is 0.5-1m (I count the cable length) far from the source (Nvidia or laptop/PC) and 5m far from the projector and 15m far from the Sonos Arc.

Option 2: The Arcana is 10m (I count the cable length) far from the source (Nvidia or laptop/PC) and 10m far from the projector and 5m far from the Sonos Arc.

Option 3: The Arcana is 0.5-1m (I count the cable length) far from the source (Nvidia or laptop/PC) and 10m far from the projector and 5m far from the Sonos Arc.

Which option is better and what kind of HDMI cables must use in order to get video 4K 60Hz and 3D FHD and audio Dolby Atmos?
From an aesthetic point of view, the first option(setup) is a bit better because almost all the device and cables can be hide.

PS: My projector Epson EH-TW9400 has a usb port for Opt.HDMI power supply (300mA). So, a fiber optic HDMI with a power supply can be used to connect the projector to the source (Arcana in my case). I note it in case this is a solution to my problem.

Thank you in advance!

Eh.  Options 3 is better, but using active cables for the 5 m or more runs, you should be ok.  Option 2 might be the worst since you have a total run of 20m between source and projector.  However, I believe Arcana will inject power for the second leg of that run.

I think I would buy enough cables to handle all 3 options, test them out before burying anything behind a wall, and return the cables you don’t need.

Thanks for the instant response, I'm greatful!

In option 1 the arcana is 15m far from the sonos. Which is the best type of cable, using an active HDMI or a fiber optic HDMI cable? Both types must be HDMI 2.1, right? For dolby atmos audio, of course.

I’m not familiar with any optical fiber HDMI cable, and hence no version of 2.1 HDMI on optical? There’s a bandwidth issue, I was led to believe, when using optical, in as much as it can only handle audio, not video, and only “up” to Dolby Digital, not Dolby Atmos. 

Can you provide a link to this optical HDMI stuff? I’d love to learn more about it.

Some  optical fiber HDMI cables are the following:

https://www.amazon.com/ATZEBE-Optical-HDMI-2-0-Cable/dp/B07KG71K8K?th=1

https://www.infinitecables.com/hdmi/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables-active-optical-plenum/aoc-2.1-active-optical-cable-hdmi-certified-8k60hz-48gbps-uhd-hdr-cable-cmp-plenum-rated/

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1337-142-certified-active-ultra-high-speed-hdmi-cable-fiber-active-optical-8k-hdmi-cable-designed-for-xbox.aspx

I haven’t use any of the so I don’t know anything about their performance.

Can anyone suggest specific reliable HDMI cable (hope not very pricey) for the following?

• Active HDMI 2.0, 10m length
  • HDMI 2.0, 10m length
  • HDMI 2.1, 5m length

Is it critical to buy certified cables (premium high speed or ultra high speed)?

Interesting. Definitely non standard ‘optical’ cables. I wonder how many optical strands there are to carry that much bandwidth.