Question

How to add a buttkicker?

• 29 September 2016
  • 4 replies

Hi!

In my home theater system I have a Sonos playbar, a subwoofer and two play1. Now I would like to add a buttkicker in the sofa. Is it even possible? I need a separate subwoofer signal to the buttkicker and i saw that the connect:amp has one. Would it be possible to use the connect:amp with the buttkicker, and then group the connect:amp with my home theater?

BR,
Andreas

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
I don’t believe what you are asking can be accomplished. Read on….

As you have invested in a Sonos Playbar, Sub and Play 1 x2 - here’s an answer (from 2 years ago) by Ryan S., a Sonos Staffer on the subject of a 3rd party Sub with a Sonos Surround System….

_______________________________________________________________________________________
“The PLAYBAR can only be synced with a SONOS SUB so that we can make sure the timing and crossover is properly synced. The SUB has specific EQ profiles for each possible bonding it can have to provide the best listening experiences with any configuration you use it in.

To use an existing third party subwoofer, you'd wire it into a CONNECT:AMP, which has a 2 volt subwoofer out, along with third party speakers. But that sub couldn't be bonded with the PLAYBAR and grouping it would likely have an echo or delay which we wouldn't recommend”.
______________________________________________________________________________________

By Ryan’s answer I interpret this….Essentially since the ButtKicker is a LFE modulator you would be trying to integrate another sub with your Playbar using a Connect:AMP. Even if you removed the Sonos sub according to Ryan the reults would not be pretty.

In theory…IMO the only way you could integrate a Buttkicker into a Sonos system would require the Sonos Sub to have a Line-Out. Again in theory…you could then invest in a Buttkicker Wireless System http://www.thebuttkicker.com/wireless-kit by connecting the included wireless transmitter to the Sonos sub Line-out to send the LFE signal to the Buttkicker receiving unit plugged into the Buttkicker Amp. But as I said…that’s all in theory.

Furthermore, you’d be asking the Sonos Sub to act as DAC (digital-to-analog converter) so that the ButtKicker transmitter which is essentially a ADC (analog-to-digital converter) could send the LFE to the Buttkicker receiving unit and be processed by the Buttkicker Amp’s DAC; whereupon the LFE would be transmitted over speaker wire to the ButtKicker Floor unit. Whew!…that’s a mouth full and tooooooo many conversions going here.

I hope this answers your question. If I’m mistaken …I'm sure another Community member will chime in.

Cheers!
Badge +1
I have this same question. Does anyone know if AjTrek1 gave up on having a bass shaker for his seats?
Userlevel 7
I have this same question. Does anyone know if AjTrek1 gave up on having a bass shaker for his seats?

I wasn’t the OP. I was only replying to andreas76 🆒
Badge +1
Thanks Aj