Hooking up Sonos Connect to Denon receiver

• 21 March 2019
  • 15 replies

I recently hooked up my Sonos connnect to my Denon receiver using RCA cables and the DVD inputs on the receiver. The sound quality isn’t great, there is a good amount of static noise and the volume has to be almost all the way up in the app and/or on the receiver to make it decently audible. Did I do something wrong? How can I fix this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Were you using the Connect with a different receiver previously? Have you tried connecting a different device to the DVD inputs on the receiver? Same or different results? Have you tried using a different input on the receiver? Have you tried using a different cable?

Just some questions to possibly help narrow down the source of the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That really sounds like you have the Sonos audio outputs set to variable and turned down way too low.

FIRST turn your Denon volume DOWN! (trust me on this)

Then turn the Sonos volume up to about 50%, gently raise the Denon volume and see if things are better. If you don't want to have the Sonos remotes control the volume you can change the outputs to fixed. If you leave the Denon volume up while doing this the spouse and cat may have words for you. (again trust me here)

Personally I'd dump the RCA and go optical / TOS for the cleanest possible connection, my Denon is happier that way.
Were you using the Connect with a different receiver previously? Have you tried connecting a different device to the DVD inputs on the receiver? Same or different results? Have you tried using a different input on the receiver? Have you tried using a different cable?

Just some questions to possibly help narrow down the source of the problem.
Melvimbe, I wasn’t using the Connect with a different receiver. I just purchased it from someone and connected it to my receiver. I haven’t tried hooking up a different device to the DVD inputs because I don’t have any other devices to connect to it. Haha. I did try using different inputs on the receiver after reading your comments but nothing different. Have to have volume on receiver and Sonos app control waaaaay up to hear anything. And even then it sounds staticky and no bass. I bought the RCA cables new from Best Buy so it shouldn’t be the cables. I even tried using the OPT cord that came with it and same thing... I can usually self teach my way thru these things but I am stumped.
That really sounds like you have the Sonos audio outputs set to variable and turned down way too low.

FIRST turn your Denon volume DOWN! (trust me on this)

Then turn the Sonos volume up to about 50%, gently raise the Denon volume and see if things are better. If you don't want to have the Sonos remotes control the volume you can change the outputs to fixed. If you leave the Denon volume up while doing this the spouse and cat may have words for you. (again trust me here)

Personally I'd dump the RCA and go optical / TOS for the cleanest possible connection, my Denon is happier that way.
Stanley. Thank you. I tried following the steps you set out and STILL it doesn’t seem to be operating to its potential. When you say “have the Sonos audio outputs set to variable and turned down too low.” Does that mean in the receiver set up? I changed volume display from relative to absolute. No difference. I followed the steps you indicated turning denon receiver volume all the way down, setting Sonos control at about 50%, then slowly turning up on the receiver but it still doesn’t match volume or bass when I turn source to tuner. And I did listen to your instructions, cat and spouse didn’t know what I was doing or care. Hahaha. I also tried using optical instead of RCA cables and still, nothing. The volume needs to be cranked on receiver and/or Sonos app to have a decent level and no bass is coming thru. Any other words of advice? Although the problem isn’t solved I found your comments helpful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Look under Settings, Room Settings, Your Connect's room, Advanced Audio, Line-Out Level. Set it to fixed.
And consider the possibility that someone sold you a broken device....
Look under Settings, Room Settings, Your Connect's room, Advanced Audio, Line-Out Level. Set it to fixed.
That did it! So I just have to control volume on the receiver not through the app. Do you know what exactly the variable/fixed volume setting does and why that affected the volume/bass so much? In your opinion Stanley, could it possibly be a defect in the Connect I purchased as someone suggested? Thanks again, Stanley! Fixed volume seemed to do the trick:)
And consider the possibility that someone sold you a broken device....
Airgetlam, you mean it could be just defective? It seems to be fully functional. The volume/bass seemed very low but after switching the volume control from variable to fixed sound improved greatly. But I can’t control volume through the app unless it’s set to variable. Do you think this might be a defect of the connect itself?
I tend to have a low opinion of resales. Always makes me wonder if the device is broken, and it's being gotten rid of for maximum profit without explaining that there's an issue with it. I always look for a guaranty or return policy when I go down that route.

However, if changing the setting to Fixed took care of it, then I doubt there's any issue. And that change means that the volume is a constant coming out of the CONNECT, so the volume in the app would no longer change it. It's working as designed, you'd need to use the volume on the Denon in order to control it. Just like a record player, tape player, CD player, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The variable/fixed option in the Sonos pretty much just enables the internal Sonos volume control or disables it setting the volume to 100%.

I wouldn't think it was broken or defective if the variable puts out a reasonable level of sound when set to maximum volume.

Your differences in sound may be coming from your receiver settings if you have loudness compensation or equalization settings based on volume levels.