Question

Honestly...does everyone just live with lip sync delay?

Userlevel 2
Badge
Incredibly frustrating. Trying to use Sonos PLAYBAR + SUB + 2 PLAY 1s for home theater. Have tried it on two different TVs (Samsung & Vizio) with HDMI inputted content (cable box & DVD player), also with internal apps native to each TV.

No matter what there's a millisecond delay between video lip flap and sound coming through the Sonos system. Before you ask, yes of course I've tried every possible way to adjust sound sync using both the settings within the Sonos app and also within the TV menus. I've read every Sonos forum post on it, and it's never conclusive and only offers suggestions to do what I've already tried. And believe me: I've tried it all.

Anyone? I had high hopes for Sonos because I can't run wires in my house to the particular area I need the surround speakers to be. Alas nothing's working and the only remaining to do is return the whole thing.

Disappointed! (Kevin Sorbo voice)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Odd. I'm using a Samsung TV, set the Audio Delay on the SPDIF output to 20. Perfect sync.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks but the issue nevers involves a need to delay the audio further. It's already delayed. It needs to go the other way...in a perfect world you'd tell the TV to delay the VIDEO by a millisecond to slow down to match the already delayed Sonos sound.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks but the issue never involves a need to delay the audio further. It's already delayed. It needs to go the other way...in a perfect world you'd tell the TV to delay the VIDEO by a millisecond to slow down to match the already delayed Sonos sound. Also, are you getting full 5.1 sound or only PCM?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have a Panasonic plasma TV and no issues with lip sync. My Apple TV and XBox go into an HDMI switch with optical output, as my TV doesn't pass 5.1 audio through from HDMI sources to the optical connection.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I also have a Samsung TV and was able to sync picture and audio perfectly using the Samsung's adjustment option, did not even have to touch the Sonos adjustment.
I'd assert that a delay of only 1 ms would be impossible to discern.

PLAYBAR's inherent latency is 30 ms. This is to allow sufficient network buffering for the satellites (SUB, surrounds) to maintain sync without problem.

If lip-sync is an issue, and the TV can't delay the picture relative to its optical out, the only way to recover some latency 'budget' is to bypass the TV with the audio. TVs tend to take around 100-150 ms to process the video.

For external sources (cable, DTT, PVR, DVD, etc) with a digital out this is usually straightforward. Delay can then be added back as required, either in the PLAYBAR itself or in a digital audio delay device. The latter can be combined with a digital audio switch; google 'Felston' for example.
I use my Playbar with a 43" Visio TV in the bedroom and have no lip sync problems at all.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ok, I'm happy there are satisfied customers out there, unfortunately these feel good stories aren't happening in my house! One other thing: I've noticed that the lip sync problem gets progressively worse when I fast forward a bit on programs I've recorded on my DVR. For example last night I tried to re-watch the latest episode of Silicon Valley...it started off fine, very slight lip sync delay per usual...but then I pressed the "skip forward 30 secs" button a bunch of times in rapid succession and then started playing it again. At that point the lip sync delay was dramatically worse within the very same program I was watching, I mean truly unacceptably bad - like those old dubbed kung fu movies. Does that tell anyone more tech savvy than me anything about what's going on in my system? Also: is there any chance a poor/low home wifi signal in the part of my house where this is set up is contributing to the problem? Thanks.
"Honestly...does everyone just live with lip sync delay? "

"Ok, I'm happy there are satisfied customers out there, unfortunately these feel good stories aren't happening in my house!"

Me Dies! 😉
then I pressed the "skip forward 30 secs" button a bunch of times in rapid succession and then started playing it again. At that point the lip sync delay was dramatically worse within the very same program I was watching, I mean truly unacceptably bad - like those old dubbed kung fu movies.
Next time, turn the TV speakers back on and see if they're out of sync too. My suspicion is that the problem could be in the DVR.

is there any chance a poor/low home wifi signal in the part of my house where this is set up is contributing to the problem?

I don't see how it could.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I also have experienced increased lip sync when fast forwarding/ reversing and/or pausing my Satellite PVR (Humax). If it's a recorded program I stop and restart else if it's time shifted I have to live with it.

I use an HDMI switch that outputs the audio via optical connector to the Playbar and uses ARC from the TV when appropriate.

I have the feeling that this "issue" with changing lip sync only happened with the addition of this switch.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Ratty - I've already done that test. Sound comes out fine on the tv speakers in that scenario.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Stuart - if it makes you feel any better I don't think it's your switch. I'm having the same exact problem with the PLAYBAR plugged directly into the TV optical audio port.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks Stuart - if it makes you feel any better I don't think it's your switch. I'm having the same exact problem with the PLAYBAR plugged directly into the TV optical audio port.

One thing that's for sure is that sensitivity to lip sync is not the same in everybody. One man's tiny lip sync and hardly noticeable is a real annoyance to somebody else - Of course once noticed it's impossible to "unsee".
HighDrive,

If your cable box offers an optical output, as a test, connect this output to PLAYBAR.
I faced the lipsync issue and managed to sort it. It was basically due to me using the tv remote to increase sonos volume ( sonos provide the capability to use your tv remote to increase the playbar volume). After several trials and errors - playing with tv settings, sonos app settings etc.. what i did was just reduce the tv vol down to 0 using the tv remote which also brought the playbar vol to 0. i then used the sonos app to increase the playbar volume qnd voila the echo effect was gone!!! Phew!!
Hey HighDrive. I'm like you. I too have a lip sync problem that nothing seems to be able to fix. I, like you, have read every forum and tried every fix. Just wanted you to know there are others out here like you. What ended up happening? Did you return your system? Did you eventually learn to live with the delay? Did you....dare I suggest...fix your problem? (I know, unlikely, but maybe?).
With Love,
jlyons

P.s. I feel connected to you on a deep level because we share this. Hope you feel the same.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I had lip sync issues when using the optical output of my Philips TV, but only with 5.1 audio from films steamed from Apple TV - live TV, including 5.1 broadcasts, and recordings were fine. After trying several options, I've ended up with a One For All SV 1620 HDMI switch (http://www.oneforall.co.uk/accessories/signal-distribution/smart-hdmi-switch.html) and a Neet audio extractor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8T1DJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2pnDybAD0D949) which sits between the TV and the switch and is then connected to the Playbar.

As long as all your devices support CEC the SV 1620 seamlessly switches between them (no UHD/4K support though). Other switches I tried either didn't auto-switch or did but also auto-powered off and sometimes didn't wake up.

Now I have no lip sync issues on any source (Humax Freeview box and Apple TV) and full 5.1 when it is available.
Hey HighDrive. I'm like you. I too have a lip sync problem that nothing seems to be able to fix. I, like you, have read every forum and tried every fix. Just wanted you to know there are others out here like you. What ended up happening? Did you return your system? Did you eventually learn to live with the delay? Did you....dare I suggest...fix your problem? (I know, unlikely, but maybe?).
With Love,
jlyons

P.s. I feel connected to you on a deep level because we share this. Hope you feel the same.

I'm the same. I've left it too late to return the sonos or the tv now though so I guess I'm stuck with out of sync audio.
Badge
Never had an issue on my samsungs
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I think it's disappointing that Sonos don't support newer/better audio formats and that the only connection option is optical.

I have an old Denon AV Amp and a KEF 7.1 speaker system and I'm at the point at which an upgrade will be required once I decide to upgrade to 4K, as ALL decent AV gear now has HDMI switching and the latest HDCP and audio codec support.

Having such fantastic sounding speakers and then crippling them with a compressed optical input doesn't make any sense.

Sonos remind me of Apple in many ways, regarding what features they include with their speakers, except at least Apple are forward thinkers in terms of trying to predict features that will be commonplace within the coming years, whereas Sonos omit critical features/connections and keep outdated connectors such as SPDIF.

With the current AV offerings from Sonos I'll be forced to look elsewhere for an upgrade.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Lipsync drove me mad for many years, using 2 different TVs. All resolved now I've replaced the PLAYBAR with a proper AV receiver.
High drive, if you haven't figured this out I think I have it. I was experiencing this exact same problem. I needed to go to a negative number but there wasn't one. When fooling around with my cable options I took it off surround sound and bam, it worked. I actually have to now go to +200 to make it work, but it does. I hope this helps you. Again, from your cable options, make sure it's off surround sound and it should work.
I have non top issues with Sony TVs, I just picked up a Sony OLED and we have non stop issues with the Sonos. I plugged my cheap 99.99 sound bar in and perfect sync with the same optical cable. I have played with multiple settings on the Sonos and TV but still come out with issues. I even bought a HDMI audio extractor from the AppleTV to bypass the TV optical and that seems to help but I lose out on Dolby Vision and HDR. So not happy I decided to pick Sonos for my main HT watching..
Badge
Hate to sound like a broken record here but I have the same audio lag issue as well . Just had my brand new LG OLED55C
and brand new Sonos playbar 5.1 installed 2 weeks ago . Been working with Best Buy who installed it and a Tech at Sonos to try and resolve ? I hope they can fix this as I do really like the set up but the lag is very annoying . I'll let ya know the results .