High pitch playbar noise

Hi there, just installed my new playbar. When not emitting music / sound (so when it is powered on but idle) the playbar is emitting a high pitch noise. It's just about audible - but as it is so high in pitch it is very annoying and means I have to turn the power off. What can I do.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

142 replies

Thanks Ryan and Matthew

Ran diagnostics yesterday - Reference No is 3969530.  Have also noticed that if you stop the digital data input but leave powered up, and then increase/decrease the volume control via the slider on the controller or the rocker buttons on the unit, the pitch/characteristics of the high pitched tone is variable.  So something associated with the power supply unit or amplification hardware? 

Contacted UK Support line today and they confirmed that the unit should be returned to the retailer for exchange.  So will return unit to John Lewis this weekend for exhange, and hope that replacement is problem free.   

This problem aside, I am very impressed with the capability and performance of the system.  To the extent that coupled with the pair of Play 3's, I'm now doubting the need to put a Sub on my Christmas list for our needs in this room set up. 
Same problem here dia: 3976008
Same problem here dia: 3976008
Got a new one from Hifi-klubben here in Sweden. Works like a charm! Now I am a happy camper again.
Same issue here, bought on Saturday just gone and tried all the advice above but constant high pitch unbearable whine when not in use. When in use slightly more bearable but still present. Next step please Sonos!?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Same issue here, bought on Saturday just gone and tried all the advice above but constant high pitch unbearable whine when not in use. When in use slightly more bearable but still present. Next step please Sonos!?!
The next step is going to be to give us a call so a technician can help get you all sorted out. We may need to replace that PLAYBAR. You can find our contact information and hours here.

Thanks
Hello, I have just installed a Playbar, bought direct from Sonos. Suffering with a constant high pitch squeal, when the volume is up or not. I've tried powering down, and re-plugging all cables. Diagnostic number is - 4076604. Please help!
Ryan! I know I am an idiot but please bear - listening to sonos at friend's house - he's not here - string of songs on Friday, 10/17 starting at 9:15 PDT to 9:35? Their was some Arcade Fire early and it ended with the whistle song - we don't care about, etc. I swear I will join Sonos if you give me a clue about what was playing during that time. I was not brought up to hi-jack threads and I do apologize.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello, I have just installed a Playbar, bought direct from Sonos. Suffering with a constant high pitch squeal, when the volume is up or not. I've tried powering down, and re-plugging all cables. Diagnostic number is - 4076604. Please help!
Hi, thanks for the diagnostic. I see you already have an incident open with our support team. They'll follow up via email with you.

Thanks
Same thing here, high pitch sound from my new soundbar... =(

Diagnostics: 4228064
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
just got a new playbar directly from Sonos
it also has the high pitch noise wich is defintly comming from the powersupply.
diag : 

Hi Rob,

For this it'd be best to give us a call on our Support Line to work with a technician live. You can find our contact information here.

Thanks
just got a new playbar directly from Sonos
it also has the high pitch noise wich is defintly comming from the powersupply.
diag : 

thx, i will contact them tommorow 
Same issue here. Have had the Sonos about 2 years, worked fine for 18 months, have just moved house and set it up again and makes high frequency noise. Any chance of a fix or is this simply a hardware issue?
Likewise, diagnostics 4445843. New speaker arrived yesterday and been making the noise from the start. Have had to unplug it. What do you recommend?
Likewise, diagnostics 4445843. New speaker arrived yesterday and been making the noise from the start. Have had to unplug it. What do you recommend?
No response from Sonos on here, so I called customer services as suggested above- the best thing to do for anyone else with the same problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sure they missed as you posted at the end of a 3 week old thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Tom, sorry I missed this post. As suggested above, if you have a PLAYBAR emitting a high pitched noise, or really any Sonos component making sound it shouldn't, you're best to give us a call. A technician can get you all sorted out, and help replace the unit if needed.
No problem Ryan, all sorted with a replacement unit now.
As this has now become the official playbar high pitch noise issue thread, could we start sharing some troubleshooting tips? The only advice coming from Sonos is to call the helpline. Given this is an issue a number of people have faced over the past year or two, are there any emerging conclusions about what the problem is related to?

The reports are all very similar. Like me, the issue seems to start when the speakers are powered up (either from new, or when removed from the mains for a long period - as in my current situation). It happened with my playbar when I first bought it, and the noise went away after a few days. I've had it switched off for 2 weeks and now it has returned. Rather than wait for it to subside, is there anything I can try?

Specifically, is the problem to do with:
a) interference from other electrical equipment (power or data leads)
b) speaker components warming up/settling in
c) amplifier or DAC problem
d) other.

I do appreciate the prompt and efficient support Sonos provide, but it would be good to have a discussion of the issue, and not just a referral to the helpline.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As this has now become the official playbar high pitch noise issue thread, could we start sharing some troubleshooting tips? The only advice coming from Sonos is to call the helpline. Given this is an issue a number of people have faced over the past year or two, are there any emerging conclusions about what the problem is related to?

The reports are all very similar. Like me, the issue seems to start when the speakers are powered up (either from new, or when removed from the mains for a long period - as in my current situation). It happened with my playbar when I first bought it, and the noise went away after a few days. I've had it switched off for 2 weeks and now it has returned. Rather than wait for it to subside, is there anything I can try?

d) other.

I do appreciate the prompt and efficient support Sonos provide, but it would be good to have a discussion of the issue, and not just a referral to the helpline.

Hi Dave,

In general this is likely caused by hardware trouble on the PLAYBAR itself, so the troubleshooting often times comes down to factory resetting to make sure there isn't anything settings wise getting in the way, and if that doesn't do it, replacing the unit. It's best to call in because a technician can run through those steps quickly, and also confirm exactly what sort of high pitch noise the PLAYBAR is making, and they can setup a replacement if needed.

Sonos components aren't repaired in field, and we don't do replacements for parts or provide repairs for units that have been opened. So for hardware trouble such as a bad amplifier, give us a call and we'll help replace the unit.
Hi - what is the remedy when you call?  replacement?

d) other.

Thanks Ryan, appreciate the clear response. I'm pleased to say the whine has now disappeared, as I live in Thailand so getting a replacement from Singapore would be tricky.
Wish I had read this first... Just got mine home and not impressed, makes all sorts of noises... Powering up, down, light flashing! Just got two 1's, sub, one 5 and a playbar... Think how disappointed I am. Sonos, can I return the lot and get a refund ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Wish I had read this first... Just got mine home and not impressed, makes all sorts of noises... Powering up, down, light flashing! Just got two 1's, sub, one 5 and a playbar... Think how disappointed I am. Sonos, can I return the lot and get a refund ?
"All sorts of noises" doesn't sound particularly good, but it's hard to say for sure what's happening there. The noise some of the users in here are experiencing would be very consistent. I'd recommend giving us a call so a technician can help you look closer at the system, and hey you all sorted out.
In my case, whilst it was very disappointing to have the noise coming from such an expensive piece of kit, the support from the Sonos team to get it resolved was very good.
Just reinstalled my system after not using it for 3 months, and now it's making the noise. How many people who have reset the system have fixed the problem?