Question

HDMI Splitter - Connect Apple TV 4K to Sonos Arc with non-eARC TV

• 19 May 2020
  • 1 reply

I’m planning to buy a Sonos Arc to use with my AppleTV 4K, specifically I want the Atmos support.

Issue is my TV does NOT support eARC, so connecting the Sonos Arc to the TV will mean no Atmos

I was therefore thinking if I buy an HDMI splitter that support Atmos (for example this) then I could connect as follows

Apple TV → HDMI Splitter → Port 1 to TV for video (1080P)

→ Port 2 to Sonos ARC for video

From what I can see from comments on Amazon this should work, does anyone have any views on this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

We have covered this scenario in a number of discussions. The problem is that the hdmi port on the Arc is expecting an eARC audio input. At the moment there are no hdmi Switches and splitters in the market that can mimic an eARC port as would be available on a TV. If you connect a standard hdmi audio output from a uhd player for example to the Beam (also uses ARC) you would hear no audio as the ARC looks for audio input on different pins on the hdmi cable). That’s how I understand it anyway. 

it may be possible if you could source an hdmi lead that transposes the hdmi audio from your splitter to the hdmi pins used for the audio input of the ARC port on the beam. Unfortunately I have not found a cable to do this so I can try it out.