HD Fury is working on an eARC solution for Sonos Arc - Full Audio & Atmos from any HDMI sources

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

From Sonos reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/h7z9gv/hd_fury_is_working_on_an_earc_solution_for_sonos/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

160 replies

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a similar set-up to @markcdodd. I’m also in the UK anbd my set-up is as follows:

• Sonos Arc + 2 Sonos One SL’s as rears
  • 2017 Sony KD-XE9005 TV which has DD+ (which is passed to the Arc when playing native apps from the TV like Netflix in UHD with DD+, but obviously no Atmos as the TV only has an HDMI Arc, not eArc)
  • Apple 4kTV latest generation
  • Virgin V6 box
  • Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player
  • All external sources connected to TV via 2.0 HDMI cables, and I can’t get more than DD 5.1 through any of these sources as I don’t believe the TV is capable of DD+ pass through

So, would the HD Fury Arcana with suitable HDMI switch (can anyone recommend a good one?) work for me to get true Dolby Atmos through all external sources? (& even the TV?)

Thanks

Paul

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a similar set-up to @markcdodd. I’m also in the UK anbd my set-up is as follows:

• 2017 Sony KD-XE9005 TV which has DD+ (which is passed to the Arc when playing native apps from the TV like Netflix in UHD with DD+, but obviously no Atmos as the TV only has an HDMI Arc, not eArc)

An ARC connection actually is capable of passing an Atmos signal, as Atmos channels can be in the DD+ codec.  In fact, if your using a streaming source, the only way you’re going to get Atmos is through DD+.  If you’re watching from a disc or downloaded source, then you can get lossless TrueHD w/atmos, and that requires an eARC connection.

• Virgin V6 box
  • All external sources connected to TV via 2.0 HDMI cables, and I can’t get more than DD 5.1 through any of these sources as I don’t believe the TV is capable of DD+ pass through

So, would the HD Fury Arcana with suitable HDMI switch (can anyone recommend a good one?) work for me to get true Dolby Atmos through all external sources? (& even the TV?)

Thanks

Paul

Yes, Arcana should work for you.  Personally, I would not really try and use your TVs internal apps, as I believe there have been a few issues here and there.  Since you have an ATV, I doubt there’s any streaming services you can’t get there that you can through your TVs apps.  Even if does work without issue, I doubt it will be more user friendly than the ATV.

As for what switcher to get, there a ton of good ones out there.  Probably the most important thing is that you make sure that the video specs match or beat what you’re TV is capable of.  You don’t want a switch that can only handle 1080p if your TV is 4K, for example.  Similar on the audio side of things.  To be future proof, not a bad idea to look for switches that are 18Gbps, even if you may not need it right now, and these don’t seem to cost much more.

Below is an example, but certainly not the only option.

https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-True-Switch-Switcher-18Gbps/dp/B07M7DC4VN/

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a similar set-up to @markcdodd. I’m also in the UK anbd my set-up is as follows:

• Virgin V6 box

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

In my situation Sony confirmed that while my TV could pass through DD+ it couldn’t downgrade Dolby Atmos to DD+ so I wouldn’t be able to get Atmos by going through the TV.  

I took the plunge and decided to order the HD Fury Arcana which arrived recently.  

It worked pretty much straight out the box, but for now I’ve kept things simple by just hooking it up to my Xbox One S (bypassing the TV) and playing Atmos content straight to the Arc from apps on the Xbox (Netflix, Amazon and UHD Blurays).  

I may look at a switch later to incorporate the other devices, but for now I’m just happy to be enjoying Atmos through the Xbox.

Mark

Hi

An ARC connection actually is capable of passing an Atmos signal, as Atmos channels can be in the DD+ codec.  In fact, if your using a streaming source, the only way you’re going to get Atmos is through DD+.  If you’re watching from a disc or downloaded source, then you can get lossless TrueHD w/atmos, and that requires an eARC connection.

• Virgin V6 box

Thanks

Paul

Yes, Arcana should work for you.  Personally, I would not really try and use your TVs internal apps, as I believe there have been a few issues here and there.  Since you have an ATV, I doubt there’s any streaming services you can’t get there that you can through your TVs apps.  Even if does work without issue, I doubt it will be more user friendly than the ATV.

As for what switcher to get, there a ton of good ones out there.  Probably the most important thing is that you make sure that the video specs match or beat what you’re TV is capable of.  You don’t want a switch that can only handle 1080p if your TV is 4K, for example.  Similar on the audio side of things.  To be future proof, not a bad idea to look for switches that are 18Gbps, even if you may not need it right now, and these don’t seem to cost much more.

Below is an example, but certainly not the only option.

https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-True-Switch-Switcher-18Gbps/dp/B07M7DC4VN/

That’s great, thanks very much Danny!

Hi everybody;

Looking for some help and advices.

Setup:

Sonos ARC + Sub + 2 Ones

Epson LS100 Projector

Chromecast

PC

What is the best setup to get my Sonos system giving its best output and Dolby Atmos from my sources while projecting on the Epson projector.

I’m a bit unexperienced in the A/V and would like to setup a home theater.

Thanks everyone.

Badge +1

Hello everyone ,

Not been on here for a good while , i have ordered the Sonos Arc to replace my Playbar in my 5.1 set up .

Set up is or will be Sonos Arc with sub and 2 play 1s rears , Samsung JS9000 with one connect box , Sky Q , Xbox one s , Amazon Fire TV 4k .

I am thinking i will need the HD Fury Arcana ? for the best sound as i only have HDMI ARC , any help appreciated .

Hello everyone ,

Not been on here for a good while , i have ordered the Sonos Arc to replace my Playbar in my 5.1 set up .

Set up is or will be Sonos Arc with sub and 2 play 1s rears , Samsung JS9000 with one connect box , Sky Q , Xbox one s , Amazon Fire TV 4k .

I am thinking i will need the HD Fury Arcana ? for the best sound as i only have HDMI ARC , any help appreciated .

You don’t need Arcana to get Atmos from your streaming sources, however if you have Dolby True HD w/atmos bluray discs you want to play through the xbox one s, then you will need Arcana.  You would likely want to get an HDMI switch as well to keep things simple.

Hi everybody;

Looking for some help and advices.

Setup:

Sonos ARC + Sub + 2 Ones

Epson LS100 Projector

Chromecast

PC

What is the best setup to get my Sonos system giving its best output and Dolby Atmos from my sources while projecting on the Epson projector.

I’m a bit unexperienced in the A/V and would like to setup a home theater.

Thanks everyone.

Assuming your projector doesn’t have ARC or eARC capabilities, then you will need to get an Arcana.  Follow the link(s) in this thread to the HD Fury site, and take look at the Getting started tab for the Arcana.  Lots of good diagrams for how you would want to set this up with a projector.

The HDFury Arcana is not working for me with the Sonos Arc.

I have an optoma HD142x projector with a PS4 for a blu ray player. I rigged everything together with the correct wiring going to the right ports etc, with a new HDMI cable which supports Dolby Atmos. But it doesn’t work.

I contacted the HDFury support email but got nothing back. I tried they’re chat room support and was very briefly told that you can’t set up the Arc without having a “CEC” supported TV install it all first. I didn’t get any more explanation than that. Well I don’t have a CEC TV or any TV. None of my friends have a modern TV in their house either.

So is my only option to buy a TV to set the Arc up? What happens then? Can I simply switch everything to back to the projector set up and from then on the Arc will eternally work without a TV? What happens if the Arc system resets? Do I need to have a TV too on standby?

I’m not considering buying a TV on top of the 1200 EUR or so I’ve spent on the Arc, Arcana, wall mount and cable. So it looks as though I have to send everything back.

If anyone has a fix for me I would be most grateful to hear it. But I thought I better post this because surely there must be a lot of potential disappointed buyers out there with a projector setup who should know that you need a modern CEC TV to set all this up.

Thanks in advance for anyone who might have any answers to the questions above :)

Edit - Turns out it was the new HDMI cable I bought which claimed to be Arc compatible. I switched the set up in the room so I use the Sonos provided cable to run into the arc and this made the difference. The Arcana does indeed work. Need to test some modern films now for atmos effect...