Have the Playbar automatically group back to previous group when TV playback is ended.

Userlevel 1
The PLAYBAR has the autoplay mode that will remove it from the group when audio from the TV is detected. After you are done watching TV and want to return to listening to music through All Sonos devices, you "must" manually add the PLAYBAR back to the group for audio playback. Why couldn't this be automated? If the TV is not on, the Playbar should be automatically grouped back to the previous group, as it was before you started watching TV. Maybe, a "default" setting that it can return to automatically.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, my bad.
I have added the Sonos 1s as surround speakers tot the playbar now. Setting the TV surrouns volume tot 0 solves it for me.
Nevertheless I think the regroup option should me implemented..
Come on Sonos. Lets have this feature.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes we need it please

Up!
How long has it been now 4 years? Come on Sonos please solve this!!!
Badge +2
I'd like this feature too. I wonder whether it's a technical issue regarding what to do when the previous grouping configuration is no longer extant.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Come on Sonos! Please we need this feature.

I (and the wife...) am fed up to re-group everything each time.

R
I'd like this feature too. I wonder whether it's a technical issue regarding what to do when the previous grouping configuration is no longer extant.

Maybe I dunno I am not a software engineer but a 'keep in this group unless signal is detected from TV' should be fairly straight forward?i mean if they can ungroup when a signal is detected why not regroup when that stops?
Agree with this thread. Please allow the PlayBar to return to the original state when the TV turns off.
This annoys me EVERY morning!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
regroup will be a good features
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Sonos,

Any news on that one???? :?
Hi Sonos,

No – as was stated only 8 days ago.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Sonos,

No – as was stated only 8 days ago.

8 days??? The request is 3 years old!
So was thinking about this today and maybe regrouping is not the answer. What if all the speakers stay grouped and when TV switches to auto play everything other than the playbar just mute until music is played again?

Any reason why this wouldn't work?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
@Xander054, that would defeat the important Sonos feature of every player being sourced independently as desired. I wouldn't want to prevent my guest upstairs from listening to music while I am watching TV. But the system should be enhanced to simply "reverse" the initial capture of the designated remote player by the Connect/Soundbar when the TV source drops.
Hmm I guess but I think your scenario would be a lot less common and they could just ungroup? I am sure we all experience this issue almost every day it's a real pain.

But yes maybe this solution won't be the most elegant. I just can't understand why dropping the playbar out of the group and readding when Music is detected hasn't been implemented. There must be a really good reason why It's not possible.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Sonos,

Has this feature been added on the DEV roadmap?

Cheers

R
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Sonos,

Maybe rather than DOWNGRADING the UEX on the latest version of the apps and make it COMPLETELY non-user friendly, you should have introduced this top notch feature :)

R
Just adding a hearty "Me Too" to this thread. I recently added a Playbar and Sub to my collection of (10) Sonos devices and am very disappointed by the lack of integration in this regard. I want to always operate my speakers in "Party mode" with the Playbar as "primary". For some reason the transition from TV mode to music mode seems to often (but not always) "break up" the grouping and I end up with different audio sources playing in different rooms. it is very disappointing to see that this thread is several years old and the basic problem still has not been addressed. Sonos,you've already got my money so all I can do is ask that you please address this problem as soon as possible. Thanks.
I want this too! I can't believe I had to find out the hard way that this feature isn't already present. My spouse was already not thrilled with what I spent on our new Playbase - once she learns that she has to re-group the Playbase every time (and, it seems manually adjust its volume, because it always is too loud after regrouping!) she is going to be perhaps so unhappy that we'll have to return the Playbase. Please Sonos, help us out!
Still not fixed. Come on Sonos, seems like a nobrainer to fix this very annoying issue
Badge
Hi All,
I agree - please can we have this functionality.
Badge
Just found that the Beam also does not return to it's original group after being used by the TV for sound. That's a pain
Badge +1
It would be great if this would work out of the box, that's true. Sonos should definetly integrate this functionality after all those years.

Until then I have at least a little "workaround" to solve this issue. It's a feature that I wasn't aware of even years after using Sonos.

Assuming you already have a group or at least a single player playing some music: you can simply add other players into that group by just pressing the hardware play button for about 2-3 seconds! The player will then join the already playing group automatically. This also works with a Playbar setup, no matter whether you do it on the playbar itself or on the rear speakers.
+1 here... I'm not 100% happy with Sonos behavior when switching between music and TV mode, especially with multiple speakers. It would be great if I could select "Always group for music" and also implement following suggestion:
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/autoplay-then-ungroup-then-mute-of-stop-other-group-6763724/index1.html#post16258218
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello Sonos,

it would be great to have this one added onto 2019 roadmap ....

Thnaks in advance!